Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Upgraded Supercharger technology and an accelerated roll out

2. A bunch of new apps for the infotainment center (By far the coolest of the possibility)

3. They're announcing the "opportunity console" the center console gap filler thing they talked about on launch (Is there any news on this? seriously quiet on this frount or did I miss the launch?

I like 1 and 2.
If 3, then they leaked it early... Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

:)

Buying Fisker would be an interesting move. If Tesla can take a Lotus body and build the Roadster, surely they could do the Karma and Atlantic with the skateboard drivetrain. If they meet the government's requirements, they could secure the rest of Fisker's DOE loan. Tesla has shown they know how to leverage those kinds of loans....

Buying Fisker would be an interesting move. If Tesla can take a Lotus body and build the Roadster, surely they could do the Karma and Atlantic with the skateboard drivetrain. If they meet the government's requirements, they could secure the rest of Fisker's DOE loan. Tesla has shown they know how to leverage those kinds of loans....

Except that Fisker has no technology that Tesla could use. It's too late to get the DOE loan reinstated. Fisker has no value except possibly to somebody who has no EV technology yet. It would only make sense for a company with cash (certainly not Tesla) looking to acquire EV technology for cheaper than they can develop it themselves.

At Earnings calls Elon has stated how, in theory, he is a supporter of leasing, but due to the order backlog Tesla didn't need to implement one yet. "Putting money where his mouth is", fits in with these prior public statements in which he has decided to invest part of his personal wealth in a new leasing program. Although there still is a backlog Tesla can't wait until it is gone to start leasing. They need to get out front and ensure there are programs aimed at generating demand.
Larry

Interesting. Elon could start another company to finance Tesla automobiles. This is how the high volume automakers do it (prior to bankruptcy anyway).

This is one of the more likely guesses. It fits Elon's MO of getting the best tools available for the job, just as good or better than those used by the biggest competitors. They used first rate CAD software from very early on, bought a 500,000 unit/year factory, bought lots of robots, a huge stamping line, etc.

A separate finance company is another first class "tool" to sell cars.

GSP

Renault ZOE infested me with an idea: What if Elon will offer a battery lease option?
I'm sure they will still sell the car with battery to whomever who will want to buy it, but slashing $20k from Model S Performance sticker price would be huge.
Model S for $40k anyone?

2. A bunch of new apps for the infotainment center (By far the coolest of the possibility)

3. They're announcing the "opportunity console" the center console gap filler thing they talked about on launch (Is there any news on this? seriously quiet on this frount or did I miss the launch?
Neither of these sounds like big news or would require putting his money where his mouth is in a very big way.

It's hard to stay out of these things ...

One of the weaknesses of any electric car is the need to charge at one's destination when traveling. Not supercharger level charging, a simple 40A charge to get the battery topped up overnight. I constantly read about people looking for lodging with charging infrastructure. So, an opportunity I see is the creation or purchase of a charging network that would enter into significant partnerships with hotel chains. A network that would underwrite the cost of the charging infrastructure in return for the revenue. Imagine Hiltons (or Hyatts, or Marriotts) across the country with readily available 40A (or 80A) stations bringing in visitors. Use SAE standard connectors and all of a sudden this is supporting the entire EV population, not just Teslas.

To me, that would be Elon putting him money where his mouth is regarding getting EVs on the road.

It's hard to stay out of these things ...

One of the weaknesses of any electric car is the need to charge at one's destination when traveling. Not supercharger level charging, a simple 40A charge to get the battery topped up overnight. I constantly read about people looking for lodging with charging infrastructure. So, an opportunity I see is the creation or purchase of a charging network that would enter into significant partnerships with hotel chains. A network that would underwrite the cost of the charging infrastructure in return for the revenue. Imagine Hiltons (or Hyatts, or Marriotts) across the country with readily available 40A (or 80A) stations bringing in visitors. Use SAE standard connectors and all of a sudden this is supporting the entire EV population, not just Teslas.

To me, that would be Elon putting him money where his mouth is regarding getting EVs on the road.

Maybe he'll give away 5,000 HPWCs, one or more to any business willing to let Tesla owners charge for free? Including subsidized installation by Solar City?

The HPWC will ensure only Tesla owners can use it, and it can be used on circuits as low as 40A. Cost would be a few million dollars, no more than 10 at most. I doubt the HPWC costs more than $700 to make.

Maybe he'll give away 5,000 HPWCs, one or more to any business willing to let Tesla owners charge for free? Including subsidized installation by Solar City?

The HPWC will ensure only Tesla owners can use it, and it can be used on circuits as low as 40A. Cost would be a few million dollars, no more than 10 at most. I doubt the HPWC costs more than $700 to make.

I suggest it's a superdeal with mc donalds installing Hpwc at all mc donalds in us. Cost split between tesla and mc donalds

I've had a hard time figuring what Elon can "put his money where his mouth is" that's an exciting thing for Tesla.

Buying a bunch of stock doesn't do much for Tesla.
Giving away things (HPWC, 3G, whatever) to current customers doesn't do much either other than establish good will since they're already customers.
HPWC at hotels is nice, but I don't see it helping Tesla much either. The problem on road trips is super charging. HPWC doesn't help that much and only helps people with twin chargers.

It's got to be something that Elon is putting money on that benefits Tesla. The idea of funding a bunch of super chargers would fit, but given they've been talking about rollouts on that already it doesn't feel like a big announcement. Elon is worth a ton of money, but most of it is tied up in TSLA/SpaceX/SolarCity. The guy is all about investments in his companies and basically doesn't take a salary (a financials release at one point noted he is paid the minimum California salary and refuses to cash the check).

In short, I have no idea. :)

...HPWC at hotels is nice, but I don't see it helping Tesla much either. The problem on road trips is super charging. HPWC doesn't help that much and only helps people with twin chargers...
Superchargers help me reach my destination, but I get there with a depleted battery. A 40A charger in a hotel parking lot lets me have fun at my destination and get back to the nearest SC for my trip home. This increases the utility of a Tesla vehicle and, with 40A of current, is sufficient for overnight.

If I'm a major hotel chain and there's no real cost to me to install, and it gives me an edge over my competitors, and it gives me "green cred," then it's really a no-brainer.

Not saying that's what the announcement is, but I thinks it's a reasonable speculation.

Superchargers help me reach my destination, but I get there with a depleted battery. A 40A charger in a hotel parking lot lets me have fun at my destination and get back to the nearest SC for my trip home. This increases the utility of a Tesla vehicle and, with 40A of current, is sufficient for overnight.

If I'm a major hotel chain and there's no real cost to me to install, and it gives me an edge over my competitors, and it gives me "green cred," then it's really a no-brainer.

Not saying that's what the announcement is, but I thinks it's a reasonable speculation.

I agree here. I've started asking hotels if they have charging when I travel so I can take the S. If, say, Marriot announced their whole chain would have HPWCs, guess which hotel first on my list in any given city?

True, though I thought HWPC specifically meant 70A and required the twin chargers.