Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Northvolt Ett, that's cute. Where will NV Två, Tre, and Fyra be located?

Situated near the city of Skelleftea, which looks to be around 30,000 population! And we thought Reno had population growth problems with GF1...

I don't know where tvåan will be located. But over the border in Mo i Rana, Norway they plan to start building a factory in 2021 - for producing battery cells:

FREYR is a Norwegian company that plans and combines a 32 + 2 GWh lithium-based battery plant and a 600 MW wind farm in municipal Rana and Nesna in Nordland. The company will supply products to the fast-growing range of electric vehicles in Europe, as well as develop additional brands in the shipping, storage, aviation and offshore segments through cluster-based R&D initiatives with leading Norwegian and European institutions and companies.​

Source: Google Translate

Company homepage: FREYR Battery Norway | Frontpage

As a Pro driver who just spent the winter operating a 90ft (300,000lb loaded) vacuum tanker driving on ice-roads in the Prudhoe Bay hinterlands, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one point. Drivers manage GPS touch screens with integrated Bluetooth coms and often-times poorly written software for tracking hours, plus their phones and company radios (all while operating the truck). Driving the equipment is anything but trivial. Heavy trucks are down-right dangerous if not operated by an extremely alert driver. I just spent 30 minutes going over the Model 3's screen functions last week and got 90% of it down pat.
New Tesla trucks will be assigned to the best drivers first. You can be absolutely certain that the new truck won't leave the yard until the driver knows the software screens inside and out. Drivers will come in on their own (unpaid) time to learn it because that's what good drivers in this industry do.
Quite right. Truck drivers are nothing like the ones you see in the movies.

I figure that the early adoption is a mixture of drayage and defined and shorter routes where the vehicles can be charged at their base of operations where it parks daily (nightly).

That's a slice of the total market, and yet I think a big enough slice to keep manufacturers building trucks for a few years trying to satisfy this demand. That demand is dependent on the fuel cost and consistency being enough lower that not transitioning will be a major factor in the cost of transportation (and I think that it will be - about .20 / mile fuel cost vs. about .50 / mile fuel cost).

The long haul, owner - operators, and other more general use cases will need longer to develop. Primarily due to the need for somebody to build out a significant charging network that can be relied on. I trust Tesla to build that network, but this network is going to be more difficult to build - partly due to the power draw, and also due to the restrictions on where these can be placed (truck stops) due to the rest of the services for drivers and setup they need for handling tractor + trailers (a supercharger in a restaurant or hotel parking lost just won't work for these charger locations).

My simplistic view is it is a choice between 50 Semis a day at Lathrop by December or 500 semis per day at Texas in 2 years time and the answer is .. Why no do both?
I find 300 semi per day by March 2021 anywhere hard to imagine, especially if it involves stamping and paint.

But I also think this 2 stage ramp fits demand well. Tesla may use say up to 1,000 semis internally, or 2-3 months worth of production (allow for slow initial ramp)

IMO large fleets are evaluating small numbers of semis, not because of driver training/adaption but because they want definite evidence of reliability in the field. Things that could go wrong are software bugs/component quality issues. They are taking that conservative approach because it is sensible risk management. They will probably be ready to place bulk orders after around 1-2 years of evaluation..

So again I see a synergy here, by the time Texas is being built Tesla might have firm orders and know the target production volume.

The simple way to think about Megachargers is one Megapack contains enough electricity to fast charge at least 3-4 semis. So I think most Megchargers will contain at least 1 Megapack..

This is probably another reason why the timing of semi production corresponds roughly to battery day, Tesla needs cells for the semis and for Megachargers.

This is also a clue about how Tesla is disrupting the Energy Industry, batteries, VPP, and Autobidder. I have always expected Battery Day will include a fair focus on Energy Storage batteries.

More generally there is a natural synergy between Solar, Energy Storage Batteries, Fast Charging and Autobidder, all are complementary and the combination is disruptive.

Battery day part one is June. If it is not announced in next week or so it will most likely be delayed again. Elon's excuse will be that he wants a single event (not a streamed part one).

If you look at some recent Gigafactory Reno satellite photos, a large white object appeared, where the main entrance road makes a big V with the roundabout... possibly a tent being set up for battery day?

Compare daily satellite images of Tesla production locations

Quite right. Truck drivers are nothing like the ones you see in the movies.

Do you mean "Convoy" wasn't real? o_O
upload_2020-6-11_16-4-30.jpeg

A lot of the ones I see in recent years are barely grown-up kids, many scrawny and skinny. I bet they would give their left nut to be assigned to a Tesla Semi! :cool:

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-11_16-4-51.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-11_16-4-51.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 34
Okay, who here knows what's going on with Tesla Energy? I know one of you knows because an acquaintance who works for a utility casually mentioned Tesla disrupting the whole market. And they refused to tell me more. And they know nothing about Tesla otherwise - they're not a fanboy, investor, or owner. They know because their company knows.

So, spill the beans, people.

Short of “Battery Day” specifics, I’m not sure how much I can add to this topic. That said, my view of energy storage is that it multiplies the capabilities of renewable energy. Coupled with intelligent controllers and inverters, it gives Tesla, and Tesla product owners “energy dominion.” By that I mean the ability to control generation, usage, and timing. Utilities refer to this as gaming the system. In my view, it is the cornerstone of free-market-energy.

Industries are not disrupted by technology, their business models are disrupted. Those most vulnerable to disruption are companies with dissatisfied customer bases — utilities fall squarely into this category. Electric utilities are vulnerable on each of the above counts, all the while mired in bureaucracy — unwilling and unable to change.

Utility business models are built around charging higher rates during peak consumption, and charging commercial and industrial customers for peak consumption during narrow 15-minute time periods. In both cases these billing strategies are based on generation, transmission, and distribution assets allocated to meeting demand. In other words, the cost basis of utility infrastructure assets.

Energy storage coupled with renewable generation will provide customers with the means to subvert utility core-billing-models. In short, the falling costs of energy storage, will be the death knell for utility business models. I anticipate the macro-grid being replaced by micro- and nano-grids in the coming years.

We have the technology. After “Battery Day” that technology will become much more muscular.

Last edited:
I don't know where tvåan will be located. But over the border in Mo i Rana, Norway they plan to start building a factory in 2021 - for producing battery cells:

FREYR is a Norwegian company that plans and combines a 32 + 2 GWh lithium-based battery plant and a 600 MW wind farm in municipal Rana and Nesna in Nordland. The company will supply products to the fast-growing range of electric vehicles in Europe, as well as develop additional brands in the shipping, storage, aviation and offshore segments through cluster-based R&D initiatives with leading Norwegian and European institutions and companies.​

Source: Google Translate

Company homepage: FREYR Battery Norway | Frontpage

Is there going to be a FREYR Festival?

Do you mean "Convoy" wasn't real? o_O
View attachment 550561

A lot of the ones I see in recent years are barely grown-up kids, many scrawny and skinny. I bet they would give their left nut to be assigned to a Tesla Semi! :cool:
Phttt. That movie was bogus. Get real.
EA5CE3FD-8A41-438F-BDE1-688E736508A4.jpeg

After-action Report: Thu, Jun 11, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Traded: $15,672,143,475.45 ($15.67 B)
Volume: 15,917,655
VWAP: $984.58

Closing SP / VWAP: 98.79%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
TSLA Mkt Cap: $180.438B (104.36% of TM)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 58.1% (53rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 53.0% (54th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.95% of Short Volume (49th Percentile rank)

Comment: "TSLA walked down in step with the macros"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-06-11.png

Okay, who here knows what's going on with Tesla Energy? I know one of you knows because an acquaintance who works for a utility casually mentioned Tesla disrupting the whole market. And they refused to tell me more. And they know nothing about Tesla otherwise - they're not a fanboy, investor, or owner. They know because their company knows.

So, spill the beans, people.

I just placed an order for solar, and 2 power walls, doing my part in Q2.