TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

Making unprofitable cars does not accelerate Tesla's mission as much as making profitable cars (and re-investing the profits into new production facilities).

Tesla is production limited, not demand limited. They are not even close to the point at which they can't sell all the mid-sized and large cars they can make. Is there something that all you advocates of micro-cars don't understand about that?

On top of that, microcars vs. larger cars makes more sense with gas than EV (because their lighter weight minimizes braking losses). EV's recover a large portion of the braking energy and thus the advantages of making them smaller and smaller is less compelling. The aerodynamic drag of a microcar is about the same as a larger car like the Model 3. But the real reason Tesla is not moving into microcars yet is because they can sell all the larger cars they can make and it's more advantageous to get larger gas cars off the road than microcars. Plus microcars would be a net drag on expanding production at this point in time.

• Helpful x 4
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. Sofie

Sofie Member

Whoops!!!! “AAPL”

• Funny x 1
  3. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Sez you. The devil is in the details of course. It might. So long as Tesla's growth is constrained by anything other than available cash, more profit is unlikely to help.

In any case, I said nothing about microcars. What I said was that profits are not the mission. Tesla is not driven by profit.

• Funny x 1
  4. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

I am generally of the opinion that somebody who doesn't remember the ticker symbol of a great company whose stock they own is possibly a brilliant buy and hold investor who really ought to just hold forever. Or an idiot who should just get out as quickly as possible.

You might want to consider which applies to you and act accordingly.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. Buckminster

Buckminster Active Member

Key point here is FSD timelines. If Elon is even close to being right, all future cars revealed should be variations of robotaxis. This is one of many reasons why Elon has said the next reveal won't be for sometime. Elon can wait to see before he reveals.

I think a 1 or 2 PAX microcar robotaxi is worth almost as much to the Tesla network as a larger car. Reduced weight is hugely important for most robotaxis which will mostly be used in cities plus easier to scale with half the battery cells etc.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. Joesantelli

Joesantelli Member

I started investigating history of Berkshire Hathaway class b in 2010 Jan 26 it was announced that it would be included to S&P okt had roughly average volume and dropped from 71$ to $67.87 on the day it was announced and the prior day (was announced after hours)

Then the next day when the news was out it hit $73.28.

My point being is tesla inclusion can come at anytime alot of people my self included have said the crappy volume of late might signify that s&p inclusion is out of the picture but really it may just magically happen.

One thing tho the week of the inclusion 26 Berkshire did a 50:1 stock split prior to the inclusion news so the average was almost 10x more than usual than settled. But than the news for S&p inclusion hit and it hit 19X avg volume the next day (Jan 27th 2010)

• Informative x 1
  7. FrankSG

FrankSG Supporting Member

I've been sick for a few days, and I missed ~50 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has already been posted but:

It looks like one of the new buildings at Giga Shanghai will be used to burn the shorts and to light billions of dollars on fire, because I can't imagine why else they'd need about 30 massive ventilators on the roof of that building in the corner.

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  8. Davidzhao365

Davidzhao365 Member

#186968 Davidzhao365, Aug 1, 2020 at 9:52 PM
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    hi setting up a Loss Pool might work, this is something I am exploring too. It might not work due to the margin situation that one may have.

It basically works this way.

In Aug 2020, assume Tsla sp is $1500, we can sell a Jun 22 $100 call, and get $140k premium. (I named this loss pool) Then we use that money to buy a Jun 22 $110 call. (I named this Gain Pool)

Say you have a Sep 20 $1800 call and you close it in Sep and realize $200k.

In Dec 2020, if Tesla is at $3000, we can close the Jun 22 $100 call (buy it back), thus we realize $150k loss in this trade). So after this loss, your net gain is only 50k now.

Basically the $150k gain is now transferred to the Jun 22 $110 call and you avoid pay tax in 2021 for that part.

Would this work for you?

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  9. ClimateOptimst

ClimateOptimst Supporting Member

it's actually a pretty cool process by which they build grain bins & this video made me wonder if SpaceX has studied or adopted some of these techniques to create a more efficient manufacturing process for Starship

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  10. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

There is nothing in Tesla's mission statement that it is a non-profit charity.

You can't have a sustainable company without profits.

You can't give product away at a loss or for cost.

They don't build Gigafactories nor Supercharger Networks on non-profits.

Transitioning the world to sustainable production and consumption of renewable energy is going to be very expensive. And it won't be funded by donations by ExxonMobil.

Without attention to profits Tesla becomes Ecotricity.

Elon Musk is not Dale Vince.

Not a vanity project. Elon and Tesla are about real change.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
  11. Oveeus

Oveeus Member

I'm going to take that statement with a grain of salt "for now".

The reason is that one of the major $$$ on high speed sat connection are for airplanes and cruises, which I'm sure Starlink are at least working on some prototype equipment for Starlink to function on them. And of course, with anything airplane related, you have a lot of certifications to go through. So... "for now"... it's stationary only.

But by the time all Starlink sats are launched, if they can get it to work on an airplane traveling at 0.9mach or maybe even SpaceX own passenger rockets that goes supersonic. I'm sure a Roaster going at 200+mph wouldn't be much of a problem from a technical perspective.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Steve m

Steve m Member

Who or what is this Mont that every one wants free?

• Funny x 1
  13. CorneliusXX

CorneliusXX Active Member

#186973 CorneliusXX, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:44 AM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    It's not the velocity of the vehicle. Starlink satellites are not in geostationary orbit so there's a velocity differential between the satellite and a stationary antenna on the earth anyway with a much higher differential.

It's the size of the antenna and the likelihood of obfuscation on cars that make it a harder use case. Neither of which should be an issue with planes or cruise ships.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
  14. JBRR

JBRR Member

#186974 JBRR, Aug 2, 2020 at 2:20 AM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 2:25 AM
    Tesla just wanted a weird truck, Elon Musk says

But the Cybertruck is expected to be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it more on par with Ford’s Super Duty or Chevrolet’s Silverado HD. Musk told Automotive News the Cybertruck would not be sold globally.

We’re really, fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker, basically,” he said. “The goal is to kick the most amount of ass possible with this truck. We want it to be something you could use to tow a boat, a horse trailer, pull tree stumps out of the ground, go off-roading and you don’t have to worry about scratching the paint because there is no paint. You could just be smashing boulders and be fine.”

Musk said at least 200,000 customers have put down refundable $100 deposits for the Cybertruck since the company started taking them in November. But despite the competitive barbs thrown at Ford, he’s not necessarily seeking to steal market share from the established players by poaching their pickup customers.

• Informative x 11
    • Love x 1
  15. Silentkeravelt

Maybe if needed it could be easily fitted instead of a frunk, as an option when buying car.

16. T@oo

That video gave me goosebumps several times. Amazing content. „They need bodies, warm bodies“.

• Like x 11
  17. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Not a cat

Agreed, great video, a must-watch for everyone here. 1.5x worked for me.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 4
    • Funny x 2
  18. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Who's driving at 200mph and looking down at their cellphone? :D

19. Sofie

Sofie Member

thank you for your kind words. Let me clarify: I wouldn’t have bought Apple stock if I didn’t recognize its value. I guess my question was/is would you trade it for Tesla or just hold it there to have along with Tesla (I’m still buying Tesla as I work/earn). Thank you! :)

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. avoigt

avoigt Active Member

As Elon pointed out rightfully in the earnings call, FSD will make a bigger impact than anything and be likely the largest value appreciation on record ever.

It's a critical element for investors since the stock will be seen fully as a technology play and IMO Tesla will be the highest valued company in the world.

In order to review my investment thesis that I defined back in 2014, I screened all FSD/ autonomous car candidates over the years and had the please a few weeks ago to interview Danny Shapiro the Senior Director Automotive from Nvidia.

In the next step, I proudly can present a new not known player called Recogni no one had on his shortlist so far but who may play an important role in the future. My interview with the CEO and Co-Founder R K Anand is online now and it has been a great pleasure to talk to him.

I leave a listener comment here:

"A tip of the hat to you for "discovering" Recogni and your interview with R K Anand. He is so typical of the cream of the crop Silicon Valley software and systems engineers -- off the charts smart, extremely articulate, and strategically focused."

Exclusive: CEO & Co-Founder of Recogni, R K Anand, in His 1st Interview

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 5
    • Helpful x 2