Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come on really??

I base my valuation of a company based on its actual fundamentals, its growth, and how well it will execute. I'm one of those few, all year, that has said I believed Tesla would be valued at $2,500 by the end of 2020(pre split obviously) and that price target had absolutely nothing to do with S&P inclusion or a stock split.

Tesla is not hard to predict as long as the company executes. Tesla 2nd half if 2020 has always been crystal clear in terms of what's going to happen and will trade off of those fundamentals. Tesla is not a momentum stock...its a growth stock. Big difference. If someone really thinks Tesla is just a momentum stock, I'd advise them to sell out of their entire position right now
Okay if Tesla was so confident in their stock price then why gave shares away at 240? You here complaining that they raised at 2500? Are you serious?

Reactions: Matias
Ok......since its board mob mentality with your views, which it totally fine.....someone please give a solid answer as to why do an offering with those terms.

Again people, just to be clear I'm not questioning the action of raising money. I'm specifically talking about the terms which tesla willingly decided to forego a set share price for the offering. Given the context of the huge rally in the share price....coming off a post stock split rally.....why would tesla take that chance. Any logical financial person would do an offering to lock in elevated share price. And don't give me banks wouldn't do it...its practically always the case that company's do offering at elevated stock prices.

So please, I want to be convinced here

Come on really??

I base my valuation of a company based on its actual fundamentals, its growth, and how well it will execute. I'm one of those few, all year, that has said I believed Tesla would be valued at $2,500 by the end of 2020(pre split obviously) and that price target had absolutely nothing to do with S&P inclusion or a stock split.

Tesla is not hard to predict as long as the company executes. Tesla 2nd half if 2020 has always been crystal clear in terms of what's going to happen and will trade off of those fundamentals. Tesla is not a momentum stock...its a growth stock. Big difference. If someone really thinks Tesla is just a momentum stock, I'd advise them to sell out of their entire position right now

If you believe that TSLA should be worth $2500 end of 2020 (pre-split) based on fundamentals without split or S&P, raising $5B at even SP $400 (post split) means TSLA would still be around $2495 after accounting for the raise. $5 is nothing in terms of share price, but an extra $5B on the balance sheet is a big deal.

Yeah so......sorry but it seems very apparent to me based on the news of the offering being sold, that Tesla got played in this scenario. If they're announcing it has closed, it means they've been issuing shares at these lower prices. It seems obvious to me that they thought they were going to get inclusion and wanted to ride that....but the rug got pulled out from under them by the S&P. Should have just done a regular offerring at 480 :oops:

Also not to ge a Debbie downer, but those Aug china sales are quite a bit lower than I was hoping for
I disagreed/voted.
I love that the offering is already booked. Me and the rest of the retail investors didn't like the idea of our boss (Tesla) being able to sell the company away from us whenever he felt like it. I had no idea what that offering was going to do. Now the UNCERTAINTY is GONE.
And it made me happy that Elon wanted the money immediately because he must have a plan for it. Not a plan in the future. That money is already earmarked. It is just the way he is. He got the money he wanted at the price he wanted. It was brilliant. I feel like I am watching a really good magician, but it ain't magic. I just can't tell what he is going to do next, or how he has already done what he has done. I am amazed.

China is a big place. They do the 'wave' there too with deliveries. Aug production went on trucks to the furthest out deliver centers. Wait til Oct. for the quarterly numbers. Logistics is complicated.

Prod. is way up, that's all the matters. The Gov't will see that every last Model 3 is sold with a combination of incentives and the 'stick' (read ICE cars not getting licence plates in cities).
Yes, China is a big place, but most of the customers for a luxury sedan are not too far from Shanghai. The “wave” made sense in July, but we’re 2/3rds of the way through the quarter, and Tesla announced a capacity of 200k/year at the end of Q2, so we should be closer to 16k units per month, or at least 15k. At that rate, Tesla would need to deliver over 25k units in September to justify that production capacity, which is more than double their August deliveries. Something doesn’t add up, and we shouldn’t simply dismiss it.
Whether it’s insufficient demand for the exact product mix on offer, waiting for different variants, waiting for govt. incentives, whatever it is, we should understand it. But dismissing it doesn’t help.

OK, a serious post from this ex-Wall Streeter. Two points:

A considerable number of you - and a very much larger number of those still in the professional investment world - need to write 500 times on the blackboard:

SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB
SPDJI is NOT FASB

"Can't comment" is a disgusting, reprehensible and indefensible statement. And "size representation"? Guid Gawd, mon. SPDJI had better re-look at what its Index is designed to represent.

Second, on Battery Day: I do have a nagging...and not niggling...concern. Battery Day was supposed to come late last winter, then last spring, now in a few weeks. Now, a history of missed deadlines is not something unique only to Trevor M - Mr Musk pioneered that frustration. Regardless, I cannot buy into the charade of the pandemic being The Dog That Ate My Homework, so I have to hopeHopeHOPE the reason for the delay has been because Tesla sequentially came to the realization that this breakthrough has led to that innovation which in turn precipitated another major advancement.

If not, then we may be in for a long winter. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
If you believe that TSLA should be worth $2500 end of 2020 (pre-split) based on fundamentals without split or S&P, raising $5B at even SP $400 (post split) means TSLA would still be around $2495 after accounting for the raise. $5 is nothing in terms of share price, but an extra $5B on the balance sheet is a big deal.

Ugh the complaints from some on how this board changes a persons original post's meaning is quite true. I never said I had a issue with the offering. Simply offered my view of the TERMS and how the situation has unfolded

Reactions: Drumheller
Ok......since its board mob mentality with your views, which it totally fine.....someone please give a solid answer as to why do an offering with those terms.

Again people, just to be clear I'm not questioning the action of raising money. I'm specifically talking about the terms which tesla willingly decided to forego a set share price for the offering. Given the context of the huge rally in the share price....coming off a post stock split rally.....why would tesla take that chance. Any logical financial person would do an offering to lock in elevated share price. And don't give me banks wouldn't do it...its practically always the case that company's do offering at elevated stock prices.

Maybe they think the price was too frothy at $500? An announcement would crash it either way and so they wanted to be able to do a market order. I mean, it could have either gone through the same process as the one earlier this year when market quickly gobbled it up at 767 or it could have been a bust since we were super frothy. Remember in February we were already down massively. Last week we were at the very top. TSLA might have just looked after TSLA's interest this time.

Last edited:

I get all that but I’m still not sure why you think they got played. Is it because Etsy got in? :) What would motivate the S&P to play Tesla? Because they don’t like what Elon is doing? I think that’s the part people are disagreeing with.

Like I said in a previous post, let the dust settle and then you can say for sure if Tesla got played or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So GM is going to borrow money to buy a stake in NKLA?

giphy-1.gif