Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The explanation is simple. It happens all the time. Nasdaq starts to drop a bit, and some big whales dump tons of TSLA at once to exacerbate the dip. Notice how when this happens it's almost always a straight drop down right as the NASDAQ descends in a not-so-freefally manner?

It just doesn't make me nervous anymore. Only morons would sell right before what will likely be the most monumental day in Tesla's history.

Stop Loss orders are a sure way to lose your shares with TSLA because of these violent moves. Unfortunately less well seasoned TSLA investors might not know this which can create a cascading effect to these manipulations.

Stop Loss orders are a sure way to lose your shares with TSLA because of these violent moves. Unfortunately less well seasoned TSLA investors might not know this which can create a cascading effect to these manipulations.

Yep. I think they do it in order to get the retailers to pee their pants, sell, and then they can buy more shares at a cheaper price. Might even be organizations expecting good things out of battery day trying to get some cheap prices on stock, while retail investors are left holding the bag.

To win in the stock market, you must have lithium testicles.

I feel like this creates a rather negative impression of EV ownership

I agree. Riding bikes with 100 mile range in subzero weather in an area with little to no charging infrastructure does not make for a positive impression.

Not sure what they were thinking, or how this would help... I think they just didn't really understand EVs when making the show. Any one looking at 100 mile range for a cross continent trip would say "pass".

But it does show that any big developments in battery tech will be a game changer, and will allow for things like Harley EVs to actually be viable.

Game changing Battery Day is needed!

Reactions: cbrigante2
Big bear attack...

It's not even funny anymore watching the whales bend this where they want. They tried it twice this morning, breaking down TSLA which was showing fair resilience during the overall macro situation

See how during the first two dips, TSLA didn't really follow the Qs dip. And TSLA was held back rising between these first two dips when the Qs took a mini hike.

But the third one is so much larger - they probably just hit all the stop loss orders that they wanted compared to the Qs

upload_2020-9-21_9-55-23.png

It's not even funny anymore watching the whales bend this where they want. They tried it twice this morning, breaking down TSLA which was showing fair resilience during the overall macro situation

See how during the first two dips, TSLA didn't really follow the Qs dip. And TSLA was held back rising between these first two dips when the Qs took a mini hike.

But the third one is so much larger - they probably just hit all the stop loss orders that they wanted compared to the Qs

View attachment 590528

Indeed, same tactics as they use every day, but they just dispensed with the subtlety.

I agree. Riding bikes with 100 mile range in subzero weather in an area with little to no charging infrastructure does not make for a positive impression.

Not sure what they were thinking, or how this would help... I think they just didn't really understand EVs when making the show. Any one looking at 100 mile range for a cross continent trip would say "pass".

But it does show that any big developments in battery tech will be a game changer, and will allow for things like Harley EVs to actually be viable.

Game changing Battery Day is needed!
Yeah the whole time I'm thinking...can HD come up with a range extender "saddle bag" type setup with more battery? LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: Driver Dave
Assuming everything is provided in cargo containers:
1-Speed: tractor trailer pulls straight in, container is removed and/or empty one takes its place, truck/trailer move out.
2-Density: no need for manuvering room to turn the trailer 45 or 90 to match the loading dock.
3-D ensity: trailer lift system allows parts to go directly to the floor or section where they are used.
4-D ensity: a holding area allows them to stack incoming goods till needed and stack empty trailers versus the large logistic lots. Loading docks could be multilevel and work with stacked containers.
5: Material flow: custom containers could have rail systems in the floor to allow all cargo to be automatically removed via tug, versus pallet by pallet. Could also have side access, but that's probably over optimization.

Net result: A lot more manufacturing per m^2.
I imagine ceiling mounted winches unloading and stacking stock. Trucks driving straight in, no backing up to dock. Taking weather out of play and minimizing distance from unload to assembly. Winches could unload the trucks north and south and bring to assembly east and west across the plant. Electric semis will really improve this process. I think this will really help just in time inventory and help getting stock where it’s needed without impacting other shop floor work flows. Step 2 in Elon’s 3D plant floor.

Reactions: mongo
...and how many did BMW import?

net is what matters, not gross.
Sure, but these data are mostly about political perspective.
There are partial data available publicly in several places. Here si one:
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/usa/2019-full-year-usa-bmw-production-numbers-in-the-us/
If my reconciliation of this and several other reports is correct. BMW in 2019 was a net exporter of about 87,000 vehicles all of them SUV. Absent accurate model data with wholesale prices it is not possible to judge financial balance. My best guess is that average export value was higher than average import value, primarily because the X3 and X5 were the largest exports by far while the largest imports, by far, were the Series 3. Clearly the economic values are influenced by small volumes of very high value imports and exports which we cannot accurately quantify.

For both Tesla and BMW we also need to know the actual imports and exports fo components to understand the true economic benefit. Of those definitions are made huge cost accounting projects. Having participated in a few of those for other manufacturers I am acutely aware of the ability to manipulate content rules.
Suppliers such as Bosch, Samsung, Panasonic as well as all the Tier One suppliers can effectively execute national origin rules very effectively.

Thus, these national origin numbers for all OEM are aggressively managed to best effect. No exceptions, not even Tesla.

As always these are my opinions which does not make them facts.

The entire market is tanking with GM losing more than 7% (hi NKLA) and Ford -4.92% but this thread qualifies the 2.98% drop in TSLA as MAniPuLaTion:eek:. Color me not convinced.

Come on man, Tesla experienced a 8% drop in the matter of 15-20 mins. As always, people here aren't complaining about the fact that the stock is down. The macro's are down, it's expected that Tesla would be down.

But the trading in the past 45 mins has not been normal, nor has it followed the macro's.

The positive is that this was a obvious wipe out of stop losses that people set before Battery Day. So hopefully, they've wiped them all out now and we won't get a manufactured drop like we just saw on Wednesday

Last edited:
I find these "Man the battle stations, it is the end of the Quarter" emails by Musk to be out of character. I believed the first one, but another one? Like the workforce doesn't understand what time of the quarter it is?
And there is no real reason to "possibly break the record for quarter production and/or deliveries"? That is an artificial goal. A milestone should be recognised in terms of quantity needed for financial reasons, or measurable improvement in the quality of the product.
His email is NOT "First Principles" based. It's fake at its core.
It leads an outsider to consider the Tesla workforce to be viewed as unprofessional by Elon Musk.
And I don't like it.

I'd put money on Tesla being the only automotive brand that is actually reducing the US trade deficit.
BMW is and it is possible that Ford might be also. It's less clear with GM and Fiat Chrysler, but some models of both are exceedingly successful around the world and may well produce net US exports. All three of those mostly have local design and production where they are most successful, but most of both still might have enough US content to more than offset their imports. There could even be others.

Were your statement revised to say "...the automotive brand that most reduces the US trade deficit" I would agree.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed