Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget doctors, doctors and doctors, who are fleecing Medicare like there's no tomorrow.

They also have high public support, so journalists and politicians shy away from calling them out, but they are a big part of the problem.
You mean the doctors who pay half their income in taxes and have to work a couple hours a night unpaid doing electronic medical records? Most of them avoid Medicare because it doesn’t pay and they have large student loans to pay.

No offense FC, but it’s easy enough to rationalize taking the sweat from another man or woman’s brow until you’re the one creating the actual value. Professionals disproportionately carry the weight of our societal costs. It ain’t the really rich and it ain’t the poor.

Now it is possible to travel back in time with Tesla Model S SR, if you buy one you can get back to end of February.
Seems like short sellers bought the car and traveled back in february.

View attachment 383395
I just checked, it still says late Feb.
Come on Tesla! We are OK with these little blemish because we know the mission is paramount.
But when so many average consumers see this, it is just confusing and honestly, embarrassing.

You mean the doctors who pay half their income in taxes and have to work a couple hours a night unpaid doing electronic medical records? Most of them avoid Medicare because it doesn’t pay and they have large student loans to pay.

Ha. And it only took 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and $$$ of debt. Do that and you too can enjoy trying to catch up after your 10 hour clinic day with another 2-3 hours on Epic. And we haven’t even said the words ‘malpractice insurance’ yet.

Just a thought -- Elon said Advanced Summon is coming soon and Full Self-Driving by end of 2019, with these capabilities, if you want to look & feel the car and have a test drive, you can just make a reservation thru Tesla App, and the car will drive itself to you from the nearest Tesla service center (just like Advanced Summon), why need physical stores?

Elon said on the call about Closing Stores Sales Online and huge confidence FSD Feature release soon, but he didn't say the connection between the two, I sure hope he said it.

Just a thought -- Elon said Advanced Summon is coming soon and Full Self-Driving by end of 2019, with these capabilities, if you want to look & feel the car and have a test drive, you can just make a reservation thru Tesla App, and the car will drive itself to you from the nearest Tesla service center (just like Advanced Summon), why need physical stores?

Elon said on the call about Closing Stores Sales Online and huge confidence FSD Feature release soon, but he didn't say the connection between the two, I sure hope he said it.
Certainly a good idea in theory, but most likely at least two years away (and been so for 5 years, but this time it’s different?). I think Tesla is just realizing brick and mortar stores are extremely expensive to open and operate. Or they’ve known it for a while, and their sales data is showing that now the cost/benefit is unnecessarily high.

FSD is vaporware until proven innocent. There is no indication that the car will be able to drive itself, other than Elon's words. If FSD releases this year in any legitimate form, I will eat my words. I will also eat really expensive dinners

OT
FSD is vaporware until proven innocent. There is no indication that the car will be able to drive itself, other than Elon's words. If FSD releases this year in any legitimate form, I will eat my words. I will also eat really expensive dinners
Hope you don’t mind me asking, how large is your short position now and do you have any plan to cover?:D

Just for information, it's going across the BBC news page (UK), about chinese customs placing a ban on improting the tesla model 3, only in the banner at the bottem.

Could be a further dip today if the scares are hitting the UK news which is unusuall for tesla news..

Before christmas i would not have belived the price would be sub 300 with the 35k model 3 and the Y announcement...

Just for information, it's going across the BBC news page (UK), about chinese customs placing a ban on improting the tesla model 3, only in the banner at the bottem.

Could be a further dip today if the scares are hitting the UK news which is unusuall for tesla news..

Before christmas i would not have belived the price would be sub 300 with the 35k model 3 and the Y announcement...
They un-banned it today. US Hedge funds and shorts have been dumping during the morning when liquidity and market depth is highest. Lots of confusion coming from Tesla these past two weeks. Add the SEC issue and you will have institutions bail.

Lol. I'm long 925 shares. FSD really is vaporware though, it hasn't done anything since 2016, yet the price went down. It's not bearish calling it what it is
Actually not asking because of this post, just noticed you’re bearish recently so wondering whether you are waiting for a specific buy point. :D

I agree with you that FSD (level 5 autonomous) is not coming in maybe 5 years, but door-to-door navigation-on-autopilot (where you still need to put hands on the wheel and prepare to take over, but don’t need to actually do anything) could come sooner than most estimated, 1 year maybe 2 years definitely. I don’t see any legislative barrier for that.

Wow! Just woke up and saw this re-tweeted by Vincent, so not sure if this was posted yet. I have a feeling NIO stock is not going to like this today:

"EV startup $NIO abandons plan to make its own cars.
The company won’t build a factory in Shanghai after all, and is off to a slow start in 2019"

EV startup NIO abandons plan to make its own cars

"Chinese EV startup NIO no longer plans to make its own cars, the company announced Tuesday. Plans to build a factory in Shanghai — where Tesla is currently constructing the third Gigafactory — have been scuttled, and NIO will instead continue using its current contract manufacturer, state-owned automaker JAC Motors."

Actually not asking because of this post, just noticed you’re bearish recently so wondering whether you are waiting for a specific buy point. :D

I agree with you that FSD (level 5 autonomous) is not coming in maybe 5 years, but door-to-door navigation-on-autopilot (where you still need to put hands on the wheel and prepare to take over, but don’t need to actually do anything) could come sooner than most estimated, 1 year maybe 2 years definitely. I don’t see any legislative barrier for that.

My buy point was $300 where I loaded half of my shares in January. I really should have sold the swing when it hit $320 three times from $300. Closer to $250 I will buy calls and sell some stock to increase leverage and decrease risk...

And I'm not bearish, I'm just very suspicious/cautious. Nothing is adding up.

-Closing stores will certainly not reduce cost to build cars by 6%

-Closing stores 9 days after filing an annual report stating Tesla is ready to expand its retail presence. Tesla just opened up a ton of stores in December too! This reeks of desperation and poor planning

-Musk stating that SR won't be produced in volume until June, but the website is showing 2 weeks still

-InsideEVs reporting a 75% drop in Model 3 deliveries in Jan/Feb. Yes, I know that cars were going to other countries. But throughout Jan/Feb, you can easily go into a store and get a Model 3 within a week. So the low sales were legitimate. I also talked to an employee at the Paramus NJ location and he said deliveries were "meh" this quarter. The showroom was dead the past few times I went there too. I think a lot of people don't know Teslas are crazy cheap right now. Tesla needs to advertise or something, they can drop the price to 30,000 but only people who follow Elon Musk on Twitter will know. I might come back to eat crow on this one though.

-Customers who purchased FSD at full price are fuming. They were told adding it after delivery would cost more. Nope, it costs less. And it still isn't out yet. It's not like the "early adopter" got any use out of FSD. If you pre-order something, and the price changed before release, you are entitled to refund of the difference. I do NOT agree with refunding the difference on the actual car, like what Fred cried about.

-New SEC battle

Really the only thing that can stop the downtrend is confirmation of demand, a partnership, or a new large investor showing confidence by buying shares.

Wow! Just woke up and saw this re-tweeted by Vincent, so not sure if this was posted yet. I have a feeling NIO stock is not going to like this today:
"EV startup $NIO abandons plan to make its own cars.
The company won’t build a factory in Shanghai after all, and is off to a slow start in 2019"

EV startup NIO abandons plan to make its own cars
"Chinese EV startup NIO no longer plans to make its own cars, the company announced Tuesday. Plans to build a factory in Shanghai — where Tesla is currently constructing the third Gigafactory — have been scuttled, and NIO will instead continue using its current contract manufacturer, state-owned automaker JAC Motors."
Buying 2020 puts in the morning. The market cap is something silly like 20B since there are 3 classes of shares and only Class A is listed on US markets. This thing is going to tumble below IPO price, the CC was comical

FSD is vaporware until proven innocent. There is no indication that the car will be able to drive itself, other than Elon's words.

We have much more than "just" Elon's words:
  • Firstly, what's this "just Elon" diminutive wording? I'd be the first one to point out that Elon's projections about not yet existing features require a 2x-3x time multiplier, but can you cite a single example of Elon being wrong about the capabilities of existing software and hardware?
  • Secondly, we also have the word of Andrej Karpathy, Tesla Director of the AI group, leading NN expert, saying this in the Q3 ER CC: "So in other words, we are currently at a place where we trained large neural networks that work very well, but we are not able to deploy them to the fleet due to computational constraints."
  • Third, we have this credible seeming leak from a Tesla employee, who is member of the FSD test group of hundreds of Tesla employees driving HW3 cars with FSD enabled: "Apparently everything is working well at this point (stop signs, street lights, left turns, right turns, etc.)". That was 2 months ago.
  • Fourth, numerous long time contributors of this forum have reported that a key FSD feature, Navigate on AutoPilot, is working very well for them on the daily commute and on road trips - with the HW 2.5 processing unit that is 20x slower than HW3.
These are all independent sources of information. The chance that they are all wrong is close to zero meanwhile.

So why are you repeating the "FSD doesn't exist because Elon cannot be trusted" false narrative? Do you want to give shorts a helping hand because there's not enough disinformation out there? ;)

Add the SEC issue and you will have institutions bail.

We have evidence of:
  • Heavy shorting in the past 3 days
  • Certain institutionals such as ARK buying heavily
  • Price holding up pretty well under almost 3x the daily volume.
Lots of confusion coming from Tesla these past two weeks.

Lots of confusion coming from you too I'm afraid. ;)