Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In one of Dave lee's interviews with Emmet Peppers, Emmet talks about pushing through his trade by calling ibkr. He spoke with a trader who recommended he push it through in a single trade rather than spread over several orders so MM don't catch on and try to adjust the price against him. Think Emmet's order was only around 3,000+ though

Didn't he say the opposite? Iirc, he said that it was broken up into tiny orders, as to not give away the magnitude of the buying Emmet wanted to do, and that was only $2.7M.

How can I view the trade in options at the detail you are seeing it?

Ask @Blue horseshoe .

Coming out with an upgrade that raises the TSLA price target to $90 is not a serious analysis. It's a lame attempt at trolling on behalf of the fossil fuel industry.

This reminds me of how Pierpoint Morgan (J.P.) was the guy who, after Nikola Tesla (the person) told him he had found a way to generate and transmit free energy to any point on Earth, asked Tesla, "but, where would I put the meter" before pulling funding from the experiment.

Didn't he say the opposite? Iirc, he said that it was broken up into tiny orders, as to not give away the magnitude of the buying Emmet wanted to do, and that was only $2.7M.

Ask @Blue horseshoe .
The IBKR representative suggested he purchase all calls using a single strike price, rather than sprinkling it around that target. It was 3750 contracts that executed in a range between $5.xx and $7.xx. As to exactly how the representative got the trades to all execute, probably nobody but he knows.

Yes, and that 'drop' may turn out to be a 'drip', what with record 500K deliveries being announced the day we come back in January, then record profits for Q4 on the 4th Wed of January.
Elon is clearly trying to cap exuberance prior to inclusion to avoid this massive spike and drop. From the "stock will be hammered" email, to a cash raise, to "share price too high" comments. I think he would much rather sit at $400-700 for the next couple years than spike to $1100 and just see what happens. The back side of that could be quite ugly for TSLA and highly disruptive to the market as a whole.

I'm down for an $850 spike, a drop to $720, and a drift down toward $650. That IMO would be ideal. Leaves plenty of room to head north on actual news of actual progress, and more importantly leaves room to re-squeeze the shorts YET AGAIN if they pile in at $800. I don't wanna give them the free cash opportunity of shorting at $1200.

Can anyone confirm this $5B sales has not been executed yet? I know we speculated a lot on the last one as to the optimal timing, and it turned out to be executed right at the announcement. Knowing how this one's being played would tell us a lot.

I'm trying to come up with an estimate of how much volume really traded hands since the announcement to see how much of it could have been front run already.

Would be really useful if someone had insight into Open Interest and its change over time (especially) so I could add how much of it is due to delta hedging. @generalenthu maybe?

What I have so far is just a simple excel spreadsheet with different estimates of the "real" volume according to an assumption of the portion of algo/high-frequency/day trading (haven't found any real solid numbers, just a few articles and peoples estmiates)

View attachment 615949

Not really clear what you're trying to do here. It gets very murky when trying to divine what exactly is happening just with the volume and price data. The best I can offer is the hedge need data from my tables. You can see that since the index announcement, the raw hedge need has gone up by perhaps 50-55 million as price went up. May be haircut that a bit and say 30-35 million shares have been bought by market makers.

Beyond that, too much uncertainty for me to deduce one way or the other.

Here's a view of the JPMorgan note if anyone wants a laugh.

View attachment 615947

Here's my take on this:

Metrics and price ratios are designed to do what? That's right, help you figure out what price a stock might trade at. There is no higher purpose than that. After analyzing these numbers and crunching growth rates and applying necessary discounts, etc. these numbers are supposed to be a leading indicator of where you think the stock price should go. But the analysis of every company must consider the different opportunities and perceptions of anything unique about that company so you have to use these numerical tools appropriately for each situation.

Well, JPM has been wrong about Tesla from the get-go so you would have to be pretty stupid to listen to their advice on TSLA. Obviously. Even if you put aside that they are chapped about not getting a lucrative portion of that .25% of the $5 billion share offering - because they have demonstrated a total and complete failure with their inability to value TSLA.

Remember TSLAQ's narrative when it looked like TSLA might start eeking out small profits? They warned in a serious tone that if TSLA ever became profitable that's when the REAL trouble for TSLA investors would begin. Because then TSLA would have a scary P/E ratio, among other things. And that would expose TSLA as being ridiculously over-valued for what it was. Let's see, that was when TSLA was trading at $50-$60/adjusted share! We have 5 straight quarters of profitability (cause credits, ya' know) and at least two capital raises providing a further 2% dilution impacting the ratios unfavorably. Obviously, the market is not using the p/e ratio to determine fair value. Nothing could be more apparent.

The market is smarter than to be fooled by traditional financial ratios when dealing with a company as disruptive as Tesla! Honestly, I knew at the time that TSLAQ was just grasping at straws and that the ratios don't apply in traditional ways to massively disruptive hypergrowth companies. And can anyone say with a straight face anymore that TSLA is not a massively disruptive hypergrowth company? Besides TSLAQ who obviously doesn't count.

The IBKR representative suggested he purchase all calls using a single strike price, rather than sprinkling it around that target. It was 3750 contracts that executed in a range between $5.xx and $7.xx. As to exactly how the representative got the trades to all execute, probably nobody but he knows.

You and @FrankSG correct. I listened to it again and it was for a single strike, but not a single order
at about the 32 min mark is where he discussed the conversation with the trader.

One strike and some sort of midpoint strategy to hide the size of the trade as much as possible.

I'm trying to come up with an estimate of how much volume really traded hands since the announcement to see how much of it could have been front run already.

Would be really useful if someone had insight into Open Interest and its change over time (especially) so I could add how much of it is due to delta hedging. @generalenthu maybe?

What I have so far is just a simple excel spreadsheet with different estimates of the "real" volume according to an assumption of the portion of algo/high-frequency/day trading (haven't found any real solid numbers, just a few articles and peoples estmiates)

View attachment 615949

IMO, that kind of analysis is worse than worthless. Because there is no way to quantify how much of the trading was "day trading" according to your characterization. The market makers probably have enough data to roughly approximate what you are trying to accomplish but that data is not publicly available. And, even if you had access to the same data the MM's have, you would need to aggregate it first and, even then, it would only be a rough approximation of what you are trying to achieve.

My advice: Expect the market to surprise you, either on timing, direction or magnitude (or a combination of the three).

This is actual advice!

Any idea what this means?

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1336727334171389953?s=20

Are they shares that were bought back in February? Why would they be so cheap?

OK, so I think I get it. He's saying Tesla is shopping the $5 billion right now, and using Feb. raise as an example of what the discount will look like to sell them (5%). Then, the price will be artificially held down, plus no big players will be buying since they could just buy from the secondary at a 5% discount. Once all of the secondary is sold, then it's back to the races. Good news for next week, but might dampen any options that expire this week.

It was a single contract, not a single trade. If I remember correctly it still took about an hour to execute.

A single contract is a single trade (or a portion of a single trade). I've not heard of an options contract being broken up into multiple trades. The term "shares" cannot be used to represent an option contract. At a minimum you would have to denote "shares represented" by the contract if you want to use the term "shares" in the context of an options contract.

I wish people would say what they mean!

Right....so what Auke Hoekstra has been discussing on Twitter. Thanks - I assumed it was the case of Weber being ignorant, which is hugely concerning in his position...

All this talk of

Weber
BMW
Grills

Makes me thing you all have no clue. BMW totally has a gas-fuel future.

0cdf133f3fd61cce10eeaf01496d25b0.jpg