Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delay of the cybertruck could because of the chip shortage correct? Maybe Tesla just decided to delay that so that they could continue building as many S3XY cars as possible.

Yeah, its got nothing to do with that. Cybertruck won't be profitable unless and until the 4680 bty supply is online at Giga Texas.

Tesla isn't going to build an unprofitable vehicle when those same 2170 cells could be put into more Models Y (which are EXTREMELY profitable).

Oh wait, here it is now: ;)

Cheers!

Teslarati - 2 hours ago: Tesla files to expand Model Y production lines at Fremont factory

Excerpt:

Tesla plans to expand Model Y production lines at its Fremont factory in Northern California, filings submitted to the City of Fremont reveal...

...In February, Tesla officially filed to have the spring structure made permanent by filing with the City of Fremont to add a 64,000 square foot expansion to the factory. In July, Tesla officially started making GA 4.5 a permanent part of the company’s production facility by adding underground sewer connections for plumbing and creating foundational work for the spring structure to sit on.
Strange. I thought Model Y production moved from GA 4/4.5 to GA 5 several months ago. It is clear that Tesla are preparing something in GA 4/4.5 but from the drone flyover footage it does not appear they are producing Model Y there. Is anyone able to confirm which GA is being used for Fremont Y?

Edit: Also seems a little odd when new Model Y capacity will shortly be ramping in Austin.

I wished I screencapped it before, but I swear the volume in the 800 Call strikes has significantly increased as well verses the start of trading this morning.

Yes, I posted the Options Volume chart from 10:15 ET when there were about 28K Call contracts traded at the 800 Strike. Its now up to about 53K, so brisk trading volume for that contract.

Cheers!

I dunno, while the profit motive probably affects legacy auto service recommendations, the actual maintenance requirements of their cars suggest to me owners are on very thin ice if they don’t follow a maintenance schedule pretty close to what’s recommended.

I thought the opposite. It pretty clearly states that the lack of maintenance has to be implicated in the failure.

I wished I screencapped it before, but I swear the volume in the 800 Call strikes has significantly increased as well verses the start of trading this morning.
15 minute volume did not go up the rest of the day after opening.

Total trades of course has nowhere to go but up.

786723C0-D58B-47CA-91B0-42174135BD14.jpeg

Source: yahoo

Last edited:
Also seems a little odd when new Model Y capacity will shortly be ramping in Austin.

If you read the what the actual Fremont permit applications are about, it's mainly the "battery pack marriage" mechanism. Just further streamlining production, and likely reducing labor while providing more a consistent output rate.

Cheers!

Morgan Stanley's Adam Jonas on Tesla shares dropping amid crypto volatility

CNBC put out this video this afternoon. I was notified of that in my brokerage account.

It is from May 20 when TSLA was near this year's low. Yet CNBC presents it as though it is fresh news today.

CNBC - this afternoon:

LOL! It's HAVOC AT THE DISCO! Don't they know this is SPARTA!

cry-havoc.jpg

Cheers!

There was good volume on the 800Cs for this week, but not a ton of premium on them. The big premiums were on 750-760Cs and they had more volume. If you look beyond the 9/10s, you see a lot of 800, 850, 860, and 900 plays lining up for October, November and January. January has had a lot of activity and premium on 900 calls of late.

Today's TSLA "volume weighted average price" (VWAP) was $752.95 with about ~20M shares traded (so far). This is the highest avg price since 2021-04-14 (which was $754.89),

There was also just that single day in all of Q2 with a Close above this SP level. This explains the crazy panic at CNBC.com this afternoon. :p

sc.TSLA.YTD.2021-09-07.Q2-High.png

Cheers!

P.S. The 2nd previous day where the TSLA avg price was higher than today goes all the way back to 2021-02-19 (which was $785.73). The following day saw a $45 drop in the closing SP.

NO WONDER why CNBC is panicking!

Last edited:
If you read the what the actual Fremont permit applications are about, it's mainly the "battery pack marriage" mechanism. Just further streamlining production, and likely reducing labor while providing more a consistent output rate.

Cheers!
I agree that the application refers to the battery pack marriage. However the point I was making was that as far as I am aware model Y production has been in GA5 for several months, not GA 4/4.5. That is why I asked if anyone could confirm which GA line is being used for Model Y.

If GA4/4.5 is not being used for Model Y production then the question is battery marriage for what? Perhaps developing/refining the processes to be used for Y in Austin/Berlin?

Reactions: StealthP3D
You guys are putting a damper on my fortune cookie wisdom 😂
My interpretation of the comments and follow up articles was that Doug Field was a good guy but got in over his head with the production side of things. Like Elon has said many times "production is hard". Having spent most of my career in production and operations, I agree and most people have no idea of the effort it takes to do right.

I am sure he will be an asset to Ford. Stealing someone from Apple with Tesla background just shows how seriously they take the threat.

Serious question and I am copying @RobStark and @jbcarioca who have some knowledge of OEM operations:

If there is truly a chip shortage creating supply issues and no demand issue, why are there still incentives offered in Sept?
View attachment 706293

I'm not taking sides on the OEMs and the chip shortage... but I didn't find this incentive argument compelling. In that list of incentives, the only vehicle model in the top 25 is the Equinox with 118K sales in 1H 2021, and that number is down this year because it's old and scheduled to be refreshed shortly. So the incentives shown may be just trying to clear the junk off the lot. (You know, if dealer lots are empty, the only stuff left there isn't popular cars, it's the ones nobody wanted to buy.)

If we see incentives on the F-150, we'll know something is seriously wrong with car sales.

P.S. I'm giggling at the thought that you could sell a Buick without incentives!