Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since its the weekend.

How many servants are optimum for a two person household?

A live in maid goes without saying.

But what about a gardner ?
We only have 1/2 acre at our main house and he wouldn't have much to do.
I prefer to drive myself so he couldn't do double duty.

Does a chef need an assistant ?

When going to our mountain retreat, do we have a second set or just fly them out ?

Truly, first world problems.
Good start to a TeslaBot test case...

Reactions: Carl Raymond
This pace is just ridiculous. By the time federal authorities get their paperwork together to regulate FSD, 11.6 will read your destination from your mind!
Excited to get participate in seeing the improvements for myself for the first time. 10.3.1 averages 11 interventions on my extremely challenging 5.4 mile one way daily commute.

Well if we look at the full quote from the article:

""I do think there's an upside to going to large format." he says. "That would reduce internal resistance, and that's a valuable step forward. But people are looking at 4680 as this huge breakthrough, and that's a fantasy.""

The format itself is a step forward - Tesla scaling their own manufacturing of cells is a breakthrough, but I wouldn't object too hard with his quote.

Why wouldn’t you object to Rawlinson’s assertion that a large format cell reduces internal resistance?

It’s very surprising he said that because all else being equal, a larger format cell actually INCREASES resistance, So surprisingly either Rawlinson was misquoted or he did not know any better.

It is the tabless architecture which reduces resistance and which in fact aids in offsetting the increase in resistance that occurs naturally when increasing the size of the cell.

Trying desperately to keep this thread - even over the weekend - somewhat on topic, rather than GREENWASHING something close to half of what's posted. Remember that just about all of my Mod Squad has retired so that leaves, for now, just your favorite Hulk to throw his weight around.....

About MARGIN -
Family story here. Both my parents spent their childhoods in the Roaring 20s and they, and their own parents, lived indeed what many think of as The Good Life.
For both these sides, the Great Crash of '29 was effectively fatal to all that lifestyle, and literally fatal to one of my grandfathers. The proximal culprit? Investment margin.

Fast forward to the 1960s and, as I have related before, my father was one of the few "names" on the Buy Side (ie, investors rather than brokers) that everyone on Wall St. knew, along with John Templeton, Edward Johnson II, Jon Lovelace, Jack Bogle and one or two others. But even he - with the Great Depression seared in his memory - twice was wiped out before I finished my childhood. Why? Investment margin. That he was able three times to pick himself back up required an enormity of will that few in these times can comprehend, let alone emulate. Fortunately for him, after that second time he learned his lesson.

As for me, I benefited from the prior generations' travails and, in my first career as an investor never extended myself beyond what I knew I easily could cover. After releasing to others what I had acquired, shunning all that wealth and for a quarter-century living the life of a scratch-bottom backwoods Alaskan, in this my second investor career I certainly have no taste ever for margin. Of the firms I worked for, though? One was owned and run by some for whom margin was a natural part of their investment behavior, and when the Crash of 1987 occurred, they were blindsided and, falling from their lofty perches as being quite close to Masters of The Universe - as the Wall St. biggies were called then - they hobbled along in the nether regions for too many years without ever being able again to grasp the brass ring, and 2008 finished them off.

THIS FORUM - this thread - is self-selecting in that so many of us have joined one of the great capital-creating stories of history - some earlier, some later - and just by virtue of us, collectively, so wonderfully sitting in that position it is possible to fall into the trap of believing that I - you...he...she...we are somehow smart enough and agile enough and clever enough to be able ever to elude margin's fatal jaws.

That it may be so. History - MY history, my immediate family's history - says otherwise. I would counsel all to take the last four letters of the prior sentence and hold onto them, and eschew margin, as fiercely as you hold on to TSLA.

There a few location where that might work out, but not very many.

They will continue to have some interconnectivity with other systems for reliability if nothing else but also there aren't that many metro areas with enough nearby solar and wind resources to make that possible. Maybe 30% of metro areas where that could be done without actual long-distance lines.

Hopefully there will be new infrastructure for much more DC transmission in the U.S. but, like all new infrastructure, it has capital costs associated with it that will burden the system cost for a long time. There will still be transformation for long-distance DC transmission, but it will be DC-to-DC transformation. Otherwise the system will be terribly inefficient because it's not sensible to create solar arrays operating at over 100kV.
Why would isolated modular PV + battery systems not work in most places? I think it would work because most buildings have more average daily solar power potential on the property than energy demand. With an overbuild of solar and sufficient batteries, it could be more reliable than today's legacy grid.

For Solar + Battery supplying DC directly to the load I was thinking this would only be for such modular isolated power systems, so we'd avoid the need for high voltage transmission infrastructure.

If this works we really could have ultra low electricity prices which will be huge for the EV value proposition.

Congress just passed the Bipartisan infrastructure Bill. This is NOT the bill containing the EV tax credit, but it does contain some EV infrastructure funding IIRC.

Focus now turns to the spending bill (the one that contains the EV tax credit). The desire by some in congress to tie the infrastructure bill vote to the spending bill vote was an impedediment previously, now that is no longer a problem and further horse trading can take place to hopefully speed up passage of the spending bill.

Why wouldn’t you object to Rawlinson’s assertion that a large format cell reduces internal resistance?

It’s very surprising he said that because all else being equal, a larger format cell actually INCREASES resistance, So surprisingly either Rawlinson was misquoted or he did not know any better.

It is the tabless architecture which reduces resistance and which in fact aids in offsetting the increase in resistance that occurs naturally when increasing the size of the cell.
Yeah if Rawlinson actually said that that is a VERY bad sign for Lucid because it would indicate a lack of basic understanding of batteries. Bigger cell --> Bigger jelly roll --> Longer distance for current to travel --> Higher internal resistance.

Continuous tab on the side of the roll sidesteps this by having current just move parallel to the axis of the cell, so then only the height of the cell affects internal resistance, instead of diameter.

Congress just passed the Bipartisan infrastructure Bill. This is NOT the bill containing the EV tax credit, but it does contain some EV infrastructure funding IIRC.

Focus now turns to the spending bill (the one that contains the EV tax credit). The desire by some in congress to tie the infrastructure bill vote to the spending bill vote was an impedediment previously, now that is no longer a problem and further horse trading can take place to hopefully speed up passage of the spending bill.
I wouldn't hold your breath. This is the trillion that goes directly to corporations, now that it's passed, giving regular folks rights to family medical leave couldn't matter less to Congress.

There's a lot of incentive to now get nothing done before the midterm election in a year.

I wouldn't hold your breath. This is the trillion that goes directly to corporations, now that it's passed, giving regular folks rights to family medical leave couldn't matter less to Congress.

There's a lot of incentive to now get nothing done before the midterm election in a year.
As part of the infrastructure bill passing tonight, Moderate democrats in the house who were holding up voting on the BBB (Build Back Better) spending bill (which contains the EV tax credit) agreed to vote in favor of the BBB bill after the forthcoming CBO costing is released.

So real progress has been made today, and now the focus will move to the senate to see what Emperor Manchin decides upon.

(Regardless of ones political leaning, I think nearly everyone can agree the American setup is real crap for actually getting anything done. I much prefer most other democratic systems which effectively gives the winner of the election a parliamentary term to do whatever they want and face the voters judgement at the next election - having 3 separate entities needed to agree on a bill is weird and extremely prone to gridlock).

Last edited:

Looks like the Shorts benefited from the delay in this approval. Imagine that the market would've jumped on this news had it dropped during the trading day.

and on the other hand, we got clown shoes thinking they are worth 5% of TSLA despite making 1 car every other day or so. LMAO

1636173179588.png