Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No No, Rivian has a higher marketcap than Tesla from 4/6/2020. By that date, Tesla had

1. Delivered more than 1 million cars
2. 4 model of cars for sale, solar roof, mega pack, power pack, power wall, solar panel, and 1 million pre-orders for cybertruck
3. one of the largest super charging network in the U.S, EU, and China
4. 4 mega factories spanning two continents
5. over 100 service centers
6. Guidance of of 20M cars run rate by 2030, accounting only half of their revenue

Rivian as of today has

1. About 100 deliveries
2. 4 service centers
3. 1 product
4. 48k truck pre orders and 100k van pre orders
5. Guidance of 1M cars production run rate by 2030
6. Nothing but execution risk

Buying Rivian(or insert any EV start ups) based on Tesla's execution is a recipe for disaster.

Bonus, Tesla can fulfill Rivian's enter pre-order book in 1.5 months today.
Either the TSLAQ kept the TSLA stock artificially so low for years and Rivian follows the stock appreciation TSLA should have or people absolutely don’t wanna miss the next TSLA. Which is TSLA.

nothing more than temporary volatility based mostly on the psychological impact that Elon was selling a larger position than was necessary simply to exercise his options and pay taxes.

There's somelse deeper that most people have missed. Elon has gone on record for years now stating that he does not desire to own any more of Tesla.

The simple consequence of that position is that, as Elon aquires stock awards, he must sell a portion of his new shares commensurate with the total amount of dilution in TSLA.

And that means dilution from all sources: Cap raises, Employee stock-based compensation, and his various CEO compensation awards.

If Elon DID NOT sell some of these new shares, he would actually own MORE of Tesla, which is against his long-stated intention.

This is as it must be, all is well, return to you homes, good people!

Cheers to the Longs!

There's somelse deeper that most people have missed. Elon has gone on record for years now stating that he does not desire to own any more of Tesla.
I'll admit, I've completely missed that. Which is weird since ~80% of my waking hours are reading or writing Tesla related things. Would you mind linking to a couple of these statements? My search-fu on the topic is noised up by the recent events. Thanks!

Michael Burry suggested Tesla stock could plummet 90% in a now-deleted tweet on Tuesday. The investor of "The Big Short" fame drew a parallel to Amazon shares plunging when the dot-com bubble burst and only soaring years later once the e-commerce giant had transformed its business.

According to Burry, How should Musk “Transform” Tesla ? Sell diapers online ?
I thought SEC was watching this sad TSLAQ. Didn’t know Cassandra was still tweeting. Has he bought all the put contracts he could lately

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Do you really think he's sitting at his computer entering trades himself for this?

Considering the fact that he had to plan this ahead of time, and the fact that Elon knows he needs to spend his time on more important things, I'm sure he's instructed GS, MS or Chase or whoever he banks with to deal with the sale (and options executions).

I don't for one moment think Elon's spending any time on trying to "buy the dip" and "sell into strength". He's decided weeks or even months ago that he needs to sell to exercise his options and pay taxes on that. Then, the richest man on earth, he has available to him the absolute smartest investment bankers on the planet to devise a plan for him that is a win-win for him and Tesla / TSLA.

This plan is then executed.

The Twitter poll was just trolling the woke mob.

What I find funny is that Gary Black on Twitter stated that this is a nothingburger and that 20mil shares would be sold by GS/MS in 2 days without affecting the share price 😂 that aged like unpasteurized goats milk.
Obviously he is not. Someone is handling it and you would assume these people has a strategy at getting rid of the shares without causing market disruption considering you have all the indexes linked, robots trading at high frequencies, and hedge funds trying to game the system with their massive put buying to add fuel to the fire. Elon is most likely at spaceX and could give two licks what is happening. But I'm sure his instructions were not "go tank the entire market".

I'll admit, I've completely missed that. Which is weird since ~80% of my waking hours are reading or writing Tesla related things. Would you mind linking to a couple of these statements? My search-fu on the topic is noised up by the recent events. Thanks!

I'll see what I can dig up for you. My memory tells me Elon made specific comments about not wanting to grow his stake in Tesla during the Fall 2018 "going private" discussions and subsequent shortzeller enrichment curfuffle.

My database from those years is pretty spartan, but I'll try my own "srch-fu" and post any good hits I find.

Cheers!

TSLA storms back on high volume w. Elon's Form 4 filings, Macros soaring:

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,079.00 +98.50 (+0.62%)
As of 5:28AM EST. Market open.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Nov 11, 2021 05:34 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1,111 +43.05 (+4.03%)
Pre-Market Volume245,964
Pre-Market High$1,119.73 (04:40:11 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1,088.11 (04:00:48 AM)
Nice price for November 11

Btw, as of this morning Rivian is now the 2nd largest automaker by market cap, behind only Tesla. LOL
I thought they were number seven but, nevertheless, I wonder if this gives any OEMs ideas about spinning off electric units. What would Porsche be valued at if VW spun them off as an all-electric company?

This story develops super fast .. hard to keep up with the latest - though Alex seems to be mistaken/ misleading, there were more sales, this snapshot only relates to his first sales planned earlier in September

[Edit: c'ed 9:20 AM post hiatus break, needed to go meet a friend] So the story could become very interesting if it indeed is /was the case we're seeing another burn the shorts play, aka Game Theory 301 ( 101 basics, 201 university level cursus, 301 grad research classes ).
1/ Elon tweets the 10% sale 2/ the team sells heavily Tuesday, which encourages the shorts to pile in 3/ the team goes back to cruise mode selling which calms the markets ... 4+ the SP continues its inexorable push upwards, possibly squeezing the shorts, and sells into strength

Meanwhile the retail investor/ traders who haven't gotten the trouble of getting the basic TMC 101 education gets fleeced coming and going, some to the benefit of more astute investor/ traders, the rest to the WS machine.

Back to the grind now, some folks still have other jobs to attend to (however riveting and profitable this watchful investing/ trading is) ; D

Attachments

• TSLA.Twitter.alex.jpg
    TSLA.Twitter.alex.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
If only 26% sold the rollercoaster ride will continue.

Clearly, the sales program halted yesterday when the SP hit exactly $1,000 (read the lowest transaction avg SP in the Form 4s for yesterday).

It's unclear if, how, or when selling continues. Just watch the volume, is my advice.

#NOTADVICE

Cheers!

I
Michael Burry suggested Tesla stock could plummet 90% in a now-deleted tweet on Tuesday. The investor of "The Big Short" fame drew a parallel to Amazon shares plunging when the dot-com bubble burst and only soaring years later once the e-commerce giant had transformed its business.

Lol 90% drop.

Yes, a P/E of ~9 with no debt, a pile of cash, and a 50% CAGR… makes sense. That’s really how Tesla should be valued.
🤣

Potentially good news for Tesla and related businesses:

Lets Go!

Potentially good news for Tesla and related businesses:

Lets Go!
Not sure what the US can do, short-term. Coal-reduction measures were purged from the infrastructure bill.

Burry is Strongman/Strongman2!
You heard it here first.