Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me what’s going on with this? I haven’t finished my coffee yet and the guy who I’m fully invested with is going to have one on one combat with someone from Russia? lol Yes, if Elon is riding a bear and fighting someone with a dull knife this will have an impact on the stock.

961CBB00-3969-4BA5-8CAD-8815D806D47D.png

Can anyone tell me what’s going on with this? I haven’t finished my coffee yet and the guy who I’m fully invested with is going to have one on one combat with someone from Russia? lol Yes, if Elon is riding a bear and fighting someone with a dull knife this will have an impact on the stock.

View attachment 780667
He's challenging Putin to one on one combat with Ukraine as the stakes, then asks @KremlinRussia if they accept. So.... Elon being silly.

Wrong on many counts. The chassis may be a little stiffer, but not ”much” stiffer. NVH may even be worse. Charging speed will be quite similar nothing like a multiple of times better. No word at all on range degradation or how long they will last, probably very similar to existing 2170 vehicles.

weight will be less, which may improve braking and acceleration, though acceleration could be limited through software. But the difference is going to be about the weight of one person. 95% of owners would not notice.

4680 is about making more cars with fewer resources, which mostly translates into higher profits for Tesla.
This, too, is a bit simplistic. The structural battery pack comes with both front and rear gigacastings, dramatic reductions in parts counts and quite comprehensive suspension redesign as a necessary consequence of these changes. We do not know about the results of all those changes on BMS, NVH or any other acronyms or parameters. All we can responsibly say was presented in the battery day, GigaPress and subsequent pronouncements.

Therefore we know the 4680’s and structural pack combined with gigacastings will reduce costs and improve BMS. We do know the tabless cells improve thermal management, as does the structural pack itself.

Now we have armchair experts claiming faster, slower Supercharging, more, less, same durability. Better/same/worse NVH. Other armchair experts say yes/no/maybe to each question.

That, I think, is a fair summary of our current obsession with Grüneheide/Austin Model Y 4680.

Facts: None of us actually know the answers. Changes as consequential as these in combination with the new GF manufacturing technology cannot be viewed in isolation.
Thus we will have answers when the new technologies arrive, not much before then.

Personally I expect to see better energy efficiency, NVH, construction quality, chassis rigidity and suspension improvement, plus improved Supercharger effectiveness.

Given what I previously said about armchair experts why do I make these claims?

Simple. My first Tesla drive was a 2012 Model S85. Since then I have owned three Teslae. Each was far better than the previous one in all those metrics. 2014 P85DL, 2018 P3D, 2021 Model S Plaid. Wh/mi keeps getting better. The Plaid consumes >10% less than the P3D in roughly identical conditions, I.e. the identical usage patterns over time. Build quality has improved so much that my Plaid had zero defects, Supercharging improves too, not least due to more gradual taper.

I have also discovered that arbitrary measures of merit often are valid in laboratories and theory. Actual results vary, not least due to engineering and design variations. Tesla simply executes in astonishingly efficient ways, thus doing improbable things.

Therefore I conclude that the 4680/gigacastings Model Y will be another home run. We’ll all be surprised again. Then we will all rush to explain how we always knew it.

sorry folks. I guess I’m a cynic today.

After the Utilities became unreliable and now charge outrageous costs to hook up some have gone off grid and are very happy they did. They hook up their Teslas and even mine cryto. Tesla energy might just become a large part on the balance sheet.
The utility companies have no one else but themselves to blame.

o_O Uh, no. If anything it might be slower Supercharging.
Irrational hope is my answer. I see that number rising on each retelling and I've been back to the battery day presentation words and images and they don't say anything of the sort.

The story from battery day is that larger cells take longer to charge so they had to do something to offset that. Everyone ignores the negative factor and just tries to apply the positives.

They combine improvement metrics from multiple slides as if Tesla didn't already include the prior slides in the later slides. I think this is were the greatest disconnect is.

We have no idea how curves interact. We know Tesla went with 4680 so it's an improvement overall, but we don't know that it's a slight improvement in charging rates, a similar result with a different curve, or maybe it's just plain slower. I seriously doubt its a dramatic increase overall with no drawbacks.
At Battery Day Tesla specified 6X power and 5X energy increase for 4680 vs 2170.

That implies an equivalent sized 4680 pack can accept 20% more power.

Wrong on many counts. The chassis may be a little stiffer, but not ”much” stiffer. NVH may even be worse. Charging speed will be quite similar nothing like a multiple of times better. No word at all on range degradation or how long they will last, probably very similar to existing 2170 vehicles.

weight will be less, which may improve braking and acceleration, though acceleration could be limited through software. But the difference is going to be about the weight of one person. 95% of owners would not notice.

4680 is about making more cars with fewer resources, which mostly translates into higher profits for Tesla.
Elon specified the structural pack with cells yields an extremely rigid structure similar to the honeycomb structures used in Formula 1.

why do you think that would not be much stiffer?

Wednesday morning is looking like a real sharp time to lever up in TSLA. Peak inflation worry. China lockdowns. Likely still no ceasefire announced. I don't think we'll be able to hold under $760, but even $780 is super juicy.

My target is now Jun2023 LEAPs rather than Jan2024, so long as the former is a good bit cheaper than the latter. My logic being....crazy high margin and strong revenue growth are basically locked in for 2022. A Jun2023 expiration for conservative call spreads should be equally reliable. 22 months out is less predictable.

Maybe I'll stick to Jan 2024 for any straight up call purchases.

May 20 expiration $900c dipped to $38 at the open. A $938 breakeven a full month after 1Q earnings release.....
That's a crazy risky lottery gamble IMHO. Too great a chance the market will crater till past expiration. I'm looking for when to buy January 2024 LEAPS, and even with 22 months, I worry about the same thing if I don't buy carefully.