Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla To Host Autonomy Investor Day
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 03, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla is making significant progress in the development of its autonomous driving software and hardware, including our FSD computer, which is currently in production and which will enable full-self driving via future over-the-air software updates. With a number of very exciting developments coming in the weeks and months ahead, Tesla will host investors on the morning of April 19th at our headquarters in Palo Alto to provide a deep dive into our self-driving technology and road map.

Investors will be able to take test-drives to experience our Autopilot software first-hand, including features and functionality that are under active development. Investors will also hear directly from Elon Musk, as well as VP of Engineering, Stuart Bowers, VP of Hardware Engineering, Pete Bannon, and Sr. Director of AI, Andrej Karpathy.

The event will be webcast. Additional details forthcoming.

Tesla To Host Autonomy Investor Day | Tesla, Inc.
Excellent, now we have something else to speculate incessantly about once delivery numbers are out of the way.

My guess is this will be official hw3 launch and the day will show off what can be done with it.

2F72FD18-93C0-4F3B-946E-F511E5BEF115.jpeg

Already handled.

Factory might be ready, but we still need to train employees.

So, call options... Again...

I couldn't resist yesterday and bought 312.5 strike for Friday for $1.85

I see today that someone bought a chunk of 312.5 for $6 - which seem crazy.

If I understand this correctly, if I were able to write a $312.5 call for Friday, lets say for $3, to cover trading fees, then there's no scenario in which I would lose money??

Seems too easy...

Apologies, but I've just re-read this and see what I've written is incorrect.

It was a 307.5 strike for Friday for $1.85, not 312.5 - totally changes it.

So if we get a rise in the SP, buying an option with a higher strike on the same date, with a higher premium, will result in pure profit, regardless of whether neither, either or both are exercised, and regardless of the SP as of Friday.

I cannot think of a scenario where you don't win here...?

Someone up thread mentioned this(semis with starlink antennas)...
So when space x requested fcc approval for 1 million ground antenna for starlink, i was thinking applied to SC V3 with megapacks/solar would be interesting, but including Tesla semi? I thought these antenna needed to be a more fixed type...
Mobile units could be even better...

It was a 307.5 strike for Friday for $1.85, not 312.5 - totally changes it.

So if we get a rise in the SP, buying an option with a higher strike on the same date, with a higher premium, will result in pure profit, regardless of whether neither, either or both are exercised, and regardless of the SP as of Friday.

I cannot think of a scenario where you don't win here...?

How about the all too common scenario where we have a good P&D report but a drop in the stock price? :D

I remember reports when Tesla held the job fair in Shanghai that some candidates traveled there on vacation time. Tesla pay was reported to be significantly above industry average and if Tesla keeps equity compensation then that will be an additional incentive - AFAIK the Chinese public currently cannot invest in Tesla directly.

Also, recently (I believe in connection with the GF3 construction start) Elon Musk advised applicants in China that a really good one could have his job.

So Tesla is clearly trying to recruit the best and most ambitious.

PS. Here it is, from the GF3 Groundbreaking ceremony:

Last edited:
If the premium of the higher strike is greater than the lower strike and charges are covered, then you win the delta.

I do find it really interesting that a pile of Friday $312.5 was bought for $6 yesterday, stands out a bit!

View attachment 393070

You're not going to find another buyer at that price ;) That buyer got ripped off. Possibly a fat-finger trade.

Someone up thread mentioned this(semis with starlink antennas)...
So when space x requested fcc approval for 1 million ground antenna for starlink, i was thinking applied to SC V3 with megapacks/solar would be interesting, but including Tesla semi? I thought these antenna needed to be a more fixed type...
Mobile units could be even better...

I believe the only physical limitations that will apply to a Starlink receiver is:
  • size (pizza box),
  • mounting position (has to be on the top of the vehicle so that metal panels don't create a Faraday cage),
  • visibility of the sky (i.e. probably no reception in tunnels and between tall buildings).
A Starlink antenna, if it's the kind of phased array antenna that I think it is, can probably be used on a moving vehicle without losing the lock on the satellite: accelerometers can measure its current attitude and adjust the reception and sending patterns to capture the down-link beam and to keep the up-link beam centered on the target satellite. Note that the beam has to move anyway, because it's tracking satellites zipping around at ~7.8 km/sec orbital velocities.

(A Starlink antenna might also have the ability to talk to two satellites at once, to allow seamless handover of low latency packet traffic, and to improve redundancy.)

Also note that being able to mount the receiver on a moving platform would also enable Starlink receivers to be used on smaller ships and boats. (Larger ships tend to have a stabilization platform for geostationary antennas.)

TL;DR: I think Starlink receivers on Tesla Semi trucks are a real possibility. (Putting them on passenger vehicles like the Model 3 is probably a non-starter though - a big pizza box messing up the glass roof. Nor would the frequencies scale to millions of vehicles I think. Tesla Pickup Truck: borderline, and having Starlink 24/7 reception far off-road would be a lovely feature.)

But I don't think it's going to be done initially: the Tesla Semi truck is probably intended for the short haul market, where there's usually plenty of cell coverage.

Last edited:
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 03, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla is making significant progress in the development of its autonomous driving software and hardware, including our FSD computer, which is currently in production and which will enable full-self driving via future over-the-air software updates.

Emphasis added. Does this mean that all new cars currently produced are shipping with HW3?

Re, the Autonomy event:

Basically, they'll be doing for investors what Waymo does continuously as its public PR stunt (driving autonomously with a safety driver in a sandboxed area). In order to show, "Yeah, we can play that game too."

Should be a nice boost to the value of Tesla's autonomy systems if it goes well.

I would like to see that 'sandbox' extended from the Factory Gate in Fremont to Pier 80 at the Port of San Franciso. Then directly onto a waiting ship, all with no 'safety' driver.

I wonder how the regulators would react to that request? I have no idea how close Tesla FSD capabilities are to that yet, but that would be my question at the event.

Who knows, maybe Tesla will accept some crowdsourced questions from the Web/TMC. :cool:

Cheers!

If we rise 5% on open I might :D

In any case, my thinking is correct, I'm sure. By selling a higher strike I remove all risk and although I limit the upside, I have the premium too.

Exactly, that's known as a call spread. Strongly recommend them for periods where you still think the stock might gain, but you don't see it taking off big. :) The nice thing is that as the expiration date closes in, assuming you were right about the stock not taking off big, you can buy-back your upper sold call and re-sell a lower-strike to earn more money. Often multiple times :) And if the stock goes down, it can be great to offset your losses. For example, after the Model Y event, my April options were 4x 18 Apr 300 and 1x 18 Apr 320. Now I'm at 5x 18 Apr 300 and 3x 18 Apr 320, and about the same cash balance. A pretty nice payoff from that dip! (Although I can't really say that for sure until deliveries come out... they'll prove whether it was wise for me to hold onto them through deliveries or not ;) )

There's a number of different strategies one can use for different situations. For example, if you think the stock is going to move big, but you aren't sure of the direction, you can buy a saddle or strangle, where you buy both a call and a put on either side of the current SP. Conversely, if you don't think it's going to move much, you can sell said call and put, wherein your profit is maximized by the stock not moving. You can also have a structure where you gain by small rises, don't profit or lose by moderate rises, and then profit by large rises, by buying a call, selling a greater or equal number of calls at a strike over that, and then buying a greater number still over that. There's no limit to how complex your options structures can be except for what you lose in overhead (commissions, bid-ask spreads).

Last edited: