Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buffett owns a lot of car dealerships too.

There's a reason he hasn't invested in Tesla. They're success degrades a lot of his businesses: Oil, insurance, car dealerships, utilities, even trains (autonomous Semis). Literally the opposite of Tesla.
This NOT a reason he hasn’t invested in Tesla. Makes no sense. If this was an issue, why would he have invested in BYD?
Buffett is a cold-blooded shark who invests in companies that meet his threshold for likelihood of making him money. He doesn’t care much what business they’re in, except to the degree he thinks that sector is solid.
You can argue about the metrics etc he uses to make those decisions, but you can’t argue with the results.

You confirm my malaise when I see someone other car tailgating me too close and I press just lightly on the accelerator during that time before I can change line or take over the car blocking me from going away from the usual pick ups who love to tail gate Teslas

They weren't tailgating. There was open road ahead, and the driver in back didn't expect our car to suddenly brake for no reason at all.

Rear ends are almost always the rear car's fault as was this case. However, he asked my wife "Why did you brake?" There was nothing there."

We felt bad because the accident was going onto his driving record. Under the circumstances, no one would expect the car in front to slam hard on the brakes when there's nothing ahead of it.

Felt worse when it took 3 or 4 months to get the rear assembly from Tesla for repair, but that's another issue.

Mod: This discussion ends here. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock price being down, doesn’t bother me. I can wait it out.

It’s this crap that bothers me:

As I’ve said before, Leo and Ross is NO GOOD for Tesla.

One thing is for sure: when times are tough, a person finds out who their true supporters are. And no, I’m not blindly supporting Elon. There are things Elon has done that I don’t like but overall still a net positive and Tesla has a great plan and is executing well. To hell with the slightly missed deliveries FUD.

Maybe Elon didn’t put in as much money as Leo and did cash out several billion to buy Twitter (which is his right). But Elon put in his LIFE while Leo is just sitting around home, armchair quarterbacking and putting in his wife’s money.

That graph looks a bit scary, so I googled a bit about BYD’s cars:
and here a couple of links about their pure BEV offering:
I don’t think there’s a lot of overlap in the markets of BYD and Tesla.
In Europe it would be competition for Dacia.
Oh, so the question on Tesla's mind could be "Why make the Model 2 when BYD has that covered?"

Reactions: navguy12

One thing is for sure: when times are tough, a person finds out who their true supporters are. And no, I’m not blindly supporting Elon. There are things Elon has done that I don’t like but overall still a net positive and Tesla has a great plan and is executing well. To hell with the slightly missed deliveries FUD.

Maybe Elon didn’t put in as much money as Leo and did cash out several billion to buy Twitter (which is his right). But Elon put in his LIFE while Leo is just sitting around home, armchair quarterbacking and putting in his wife’s money.
Leo's argument is pure nonsense. The level of sacrifice Musk endured vs Leo is not even in the same planet. I understand he can be mad that Elon's poor financial decision with Twitter has damaged his investment, but now making the argument that Elon haven't sacrificed as much as he has due to comparing the amount of money invested is some high horse BS that deserves the unfollow Musk has given him.

This is really a fallout from all of the talking heads that should have kept their mouths shut or not even exist.

The media can spin his anyway they want, which for Tesla will be negative of course.

What kind of moron would post real numbers in terms of shares and money they spend?
Well, those are Leo and Tesla "economist".

I am waiting for next article "Prominent Youtube tesla bull and investing advisor - Tesla Economist had bankrupted his family"

I've not seen Buffet or Ellison boasting or moaning ever. Have you?

Those are really good times for some things. Those who got their faces ripped off show their true self.

Following up on the above. Here's a review of the BYD Seal that Troy shared on his bird feed - the latest and greatest of Model 3 competitors.

Key takeaways:
  • It's just slightly cheaper than the M3 after the price cuts
  • The power is lower but the range is better - 82KWh pack on their LR version (I'm surprised they can fit an LFP pack this big in a M3 sized vehicle)
  • Self driving software sucks
  • Sound proofing better in the BYD
  • Rear seats in the BYD have more room and a more reclined seating position
  • The reviewer prefers BYD's handling and feedback
  • Styling and interior look good
For people that don't really care about vehicles and just want something solid to get around in, this looks pretty compelling.

Good information, thanks. I'd be very interested to know how this BYD. model stacks up safety-wise, compared to a Model 3. There are many things that need to be included when doing comparisons...

Leo does own billions of dollars worth of Tesla and has good reason for his concerns

For a long time competition won't matter in BEVland. BEVs compete against ICE, not other BEVs because no one has enough production to saturate the market. A few years from now this won't be the case.
I presume BYD and Tesla would normally raise and lower the price to meet demand with their production capacity.

But what if they want to fight for future market share by osborning competitors sale by undercutting promised prices

Reactions: CorneliusXX
I listened, but he seemed very random in his exposition in my opinion. "Pick your margin" isn't how ramping volume production works in real life. He also keeps talking about incredibly high margins and huge revenues and profits coming from TE in 2023. My feeling is he's premature in expecting profits anywhere near something like that this soon.

I know many of us WANT to believe him, but I think we need to be realistic until we start actually seeing substantial contributions to earnings in the quarterly reports. I do not believe we'll jump from minor TE profits to sudden gigantic TE profits.
Agreed. You know something is amiss when Elon has not liked a single one of these posts about TE. Usually he will give you much stronger signals than this.

I like how we continue to speculate without any actual proof in numbers. And it did not take long for Matt and Gary Black to start putting some value to TE. Let’s at least wait for the earnings call but yeah like I said Elon has not liked a single one of these energy tweets. I say we are going to be disappointed.