Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unfortunately a common sentiment and is costing sales.

I can’t imagine doing a background check on the ceo of a company to see if I like him/her before I purchase a product. But I see and hear this more and more lately so obviously some feel pretty strong about it.

Interesting times.
In an investing context this might be different. Personally I do check the public data regarding top executives of companies I consider for investment. For instance, Elon Musk has had a continuing record of success in difficult and improbable cases from Zip2 on to even The Boring Company. Hence I tend to be cautious before damning Twitter.

Otherwise consider the bench strength in Engineering, design and finance. For every investment I always check Finance because liquidity issues determine ultimate failure ro survival, just ahead of Free Cash Flow.

So, if a fool or two decides that a CEO's purported political views is more important than business acumen, so be it. Rationally trying to typecast a given CEO, in particular Elon Musk, is fraught with inherent danger. After all, he's also beset with antagonistic bots, is he not?
OTOH, he does seem to rather enjoy provocation...he knows that generates many clicks.

Nope. It means stock prices can be irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
To be candid stock prices are not 'rational' or 'irrational'. They are, in nearly all global markets, established by 'market makers', a concept that is centuries old, established in the US case by a conference under the famed Buttonwood tree which was intended to protect brokers and underwriters and nobody else.

'Rationality' does apply if by that you mean protecting the interests of Market Makers and their most lucrative clients.

South Australia’s last coal-fired power plant had closed, leaving the province of 1.8 million heavily reliant on wind farms and power imports from a neighboring region. When an unprecedented blackout caused much of the country to question the state’s dependence on clean power, Tesla boasted — on Twitter, of course — that it had a solution: It could build the world’s biggest battery, and fast.

“@Elonmusk, how serious are you about this,” replied Australian software billionaire and climate activist Mike Cannon-Brookes. “Can you guarantee 100MW in 100 days?”

Musk responded: “Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?”

To the astonishment of many, (INSERT TSLAQ & MSM),Tesla succeeded, and today, almost seven years later, that battery and more like it have become central to a shockingly rapid energy transition.

Put me in the "Not astonished club".
I remember when that exchange happened. Love the mic-drop style.

Cox is an auto dealer servicing business. For that matter Automotive News is primarily oriented to dealers since they are the largest group of subscribers. Both provide dealer inventory data, although Automotive News maintains more widely available data on dealer and consumer incentives, vAuto is Cox Automotive's dealer software arm. Oddly they rarely describe their actual sources, so ambiguity reigns.

The best way to reconcile those with Tesla is to take manufacturer days on hand, generally somewhere between 20 and 30 days, and add that to dealer days on hand typically targeted at roughly 60 days for floor planning financing. For importers, roughly 45 days has been an historical target.

To compare with Tesla one would add 30 days mfr to dealer 60 days to arrive at a typical 90 days to compare with the Tesla 20-25 days.

These numbers reflect reality that is not often disclosed in totality because manufacturers, importers/distributors and dealers are three distinct legal entities, although the importer/distributor ones exist in some but not all cases.

So, to actually calculate typical numbers one adds Manufacturer inventory days on hand (in quarterly reports, sometimes in footnotes) to dealers days on hand ( available easily for public dealer groups. The importer/fistrutor dats is rarely available publicly. Luckily for Tesla a single number it it!

In years past I have been always surprised about the lack of transparency for this data. The only consistent recourse in the US has been Automotive News in recent years, but the Cox people have been presenting the data in a more easily consumed format. It always has surprised me how poor the OEM data actually has been, and how often it has been misleading.

How good it would be were all the OEMs to report data so comprehensively and legibly as does Tesla. Tesla makes data public that some do not even have internally. J

Just remember that nearly all OEMs are more like assemblers and wholesalers than like integrated manufacturers. At least the sales data tends to be accurate.
Correction to ultimate sentence... add "for wholesale sales" after 'accurate'.

Lol! In rhetoric, the principle of symmetry requires a plot with a balanced structure, proportionate in it's two halves. That is, sadness must mirror joyfulness, jubilation pairs with despair, and loss literally follows gain.

To balance symmetry in this story, the plaintiff would have taken out a large margin loan against his $15M judgement, and put it all in TSLAQ-approved Options contracts.

He would then close those contracts with perfect timing, and promptly move all his borrowed winnings into a certain Bay-area blue-chip* Regional Bank stock. Followed by the Margin calls. Curtain drop, fade-to-black. :D

Cheers!

*as rated by Moody's on Feb 01, 2023
Which makes one wonder why all the hoopla about moodys or other ratings firms. All a sham.

Total Europe.

2023 Q1 Total - 92265
Model Y - 73353
Model 3 - 16978
Model S/X - 1934

2022 Q4 Total - 94819
Model Y - 54654
Model 3 - 37202
Model S/X - 2963

A bit less then q4 but the Y is sold a lot more.
Its almost like the facility that produces the Model 3 stopped production for some period of time.

Sorry if already posted, haven't seen yet.

I believe that the UK gets M3 & MY from China exclusively. Presumably because right-hand drive. Not sure where other European RHD markets get their cars.

UK - mixed results, still very popular cars, but not as high as previously Car Registrations

My guess would be lack of supply from China.

View attachment 925180

Lower than previous quarters:-

Fs7-hLaX0AAbDsP

Good info.

Ireland RHD are sourced from China along with UK RHD.

I'm not aware of direct sales by Tesla in Cyprus, Malta, or the Channel Islands and IOM.

Model 3 needs to drop in price a bit to be competitive in UK.

To be candid stock prices are not 'rational' or 'irrational'. They are, in nearly all global markets, established by 'market makers', a concept that is centuries old, established in the US case by a conference under the famed Buttonwood tree which was intended to protect brokers and underwriters and nobody else.

'Rationality' does apply if by that you mean protecting the interests of Market Makers and their most lucrative clients.
For god sake, unpacking my use of an emotion to stock price is hardly worthwhile . You know what I'm saying, and just in case you don't, I'm saying Tesla could continue to execute, continue to have high margins, but still end up with a PE of 30 or lower by year end. The share price could also revisit 100 or lower.

Last time I looked, 23Q1 had higher for both production and deliveries than 22Q4, with deliveries being approximately 6% lower than production, as pointed out above, it's hard to improve on that %age at this scale... so Tesla essentially delivered all they could from a constrained production capacity.

To where there cars were delivered to is rather irrelevant, IMO, as Tesla have historically favoured some territories over others in different quarters for a multitude of reasons

This is the part of the report that made me laugh: (it took FINRA 5 years to issue the fine)

Goldman Sachs Fined $3M By Finra For Mismarked Sales | fa-mag.com (Apr 04, 2023)

"The errors occurred between October 2015 and April 2018, and were discovered during a Finra examination that included how Goldman Sachs executed large “parent orders” and their associated “child orders,” according to Finra."​

@InvestorTurf on Twitter: 4hrs ago

"We have been analyzing the stock market and have come up with a list of stocks that we believe are among the most manipulated in the history of the stock market. The stock market is rigged by a combination of stock exchanges, big Wall Street banks, hedge funds, and market makers.​
"It's no surprise that one of the stocks we mentioned, Citadel Securities, a market maker and also a hedge fund, is being accused, along with Virtu Americas LLC (including Knight Securities), of manipulating the stock of Northwest Biotherapeutics. It's worth noting that Citadel Securities has already been fined numerous times for market manipulation."​
Fs5ABRbWAAEnuin
Yes, these sorts of articles make me chuckle, too, because it just goes to show who is really in charge, and it's not the voting public. The world we live in today is hilarious for so many reasons, like: 1) Justice is a function of price—those who can afford to keep the best lawyers and accountants on retainer can freely game the law and distort the markets, elections, science, etc, while real moms and pops and kids commit suicide, go bankrupt, lose their jobs, their homes, wear silly masks, take experimental injections, all while watching their savings, pensions, kids’ college funds, etc, evaporate before their very eyes. 2) Organized financial crime is rewarded, while virtue, honesty, meritocracy, hard work and thrift gets its throat crushed, making a complete mockery of our political system, justice system, regulatory agencies, indeed the entire notion of rule of law. “Rules for thee, but not for me, the public be damned!” says Global Capital. 3) Shareholder democracy (as well as political democracy) is a total sham when the global financial apparatus can just fail-to-deliver shares in one long never-ending-game of musical chairs or “mistakenly” mark trades to make insane amounts of money in seconds; in other words, they can do whatever they damn well please. Which segues into…. 4) Picking winners and losers in a rigged global marketplace: you’ve got to love how unelected, unaccountable Central Banksters/Transnational Financiers can manipulate credit and monetary policy that selects certain investments and investors over others; a game of picking winners and losers that Wall Street happily takes part in. The Fed gets to play both arsonist and firefighter in this game, while Wall Street leverages whatever monetary morphine the Fed throws its way to create a meritless, artificial economy. Covid, Ukraine and the “banking crisis” are just the latest episodes of jamming the democratic process while Transnational Finance forces economic transformation without representation; Central Banksters are empowered to do what elected officials cannot without facing the wrath of the voters. What a hoot, indeed, my stomach is aching I'm laughing so hard. 5) We all have to congratulate the multibillion dollar, multinational corporate mainstream media for their stellar work in mass mind control—a system of deception and deceit owned and operated by serial liars and con men whose wealthy handlers won’t allow real crimes to come to surface, like naked short selling, censorship of dissent, regulatory capture, bribing politicians and other unelected public servants/scientists. No, mainstream media teaches us to fear really really scary things, like EVs, Elon Musk, our neighbors, virus spreaders, science deniers, working class people, basically people who don’t fall in line with the official narratives spoon fed to them from CNBC, BBC, NPR, New York Times, etc.

I could go on and on, but this might be too much laughter for one morning, so I’ll stop.

#MONEY ISN’T EVERYTHING, IT’S THE ONLY THING!

[Narrator voice] It wasn't, 13,355 for 2023 vs 15,557 for 2022.
;-)
The question was "Q1 vs. Q4".

There were 22,404 cars delivered in Q4-22 and 13,355 cars delivered in Q1-23, that's a 40% drop.

And to answer the question: it most likely relates to much higher electricity prices (both domestic and at public chargers, incl. SuC) and higher lease rates as a result of the Bank of England raising interest rates. Tesla's price cuts weren't enough to compensate for these headwinds. Keep in mind, the overall car market went UP by 1%, and total BEV sales went up by 4.5%.

• Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy