Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: the winter testing park in New Zealand only operates a 12 week window from June to September, so the timing of the cybertruck arrival there may not be any sort of indication of launch or production timing.
True, but actually shipping a unit there must indicate not much difference between the current model and final production surely? No need to test a unit that will not be representative of final production?

I dont anticipate decent production or revenue from CT in 2023, but even 1,000 in customers hands will generate enormous awareness.

Buyers Market in Norway

After Tesla reduced their prices in January they have set new sales records in Norway. The situation for the competition is not comparable. So now they are dropping the prices for inventory cars with around $10,000 to $18,000.

Volkswagen give $14.000 in discount on VW ID.4 and ID.5 models. In addition the buyers get low rent financing at 3.99% on the ID.4 and 1.99% on the ID.5. Similar discounts are given on the sister brand cars from Skoda and Audi. Also these are for RWD Inventory cars only.

Tesla is beeing blamed for this. At the end of May 12,328 Model Ys were sold compared to 2,712 ID.4s.

The Chinese Hongqi have only sold 5 cars so far this year. And are slashing prices with around $18,000 on the E-HS9.

Other brands are also running various campaigns with lower prices, better financing or more options included in the price.

When questioned on why the discounts now Volkswagen says they are celebrating 75 years in Norway.

Mr. Tuverud - a car journalist from Bilnytt thinks that the issue at hand is that importers and dealers are racing closer and closer to the limit of their credit deals with the banks financing their growing inventories.

Source: Nå er det kjøpers marked på nye elbiler - Tek.no

PS! Tesla is also giving discounts and/or 3 months of free supercharging on various inventory models here in Europe.

Buyers Market in Norway

After Tesla reduced their prices in January they have set new sales records in Norway. The situation for the competition is not comparable. So now they are dropping the prices for inventory cars with around $10,000 to $18,000.

Volkswagen give $14.000 in discount on VW ID.4 and ID.5 models. In addition the buyers get low rent financing at 3.99% on the ID.4 and 1.99% on the ID.5. Similar discounts are given on the sister brand cars from Skoda and Audi. Also these are for RWD Inventory cars only.

Tesla is beeing blamed for this. At the end of May 12,328 Model Ys were sold compared to 2,712 ID.4s.

The Chinese Hongqi have only sold 5 cars so far this year. And are slashing prices with around $18,000 on the E-HS9.

Other brands are also running various campaigns with lower prices, better financing or more options included in the price.

When questioned on why the discounts now Volkswagen says they are celebrating 75 years in Norway.

Mr. Tuverud - a car journalist from Bilnytt thinks that the issue at hand is that importers and dealers are racing closer and closer to the limit of their credit deals with the banks financing their growing inventories.

Source: Nå er det kjøpers marked på nye elbiler - Tek.no

PS! Tesla is also giving discounts and/or 3 months of free supercharging on various inventory models here in Europe.
Killing with kindness; that is the (Tesla) way.

Interesting thread. My attachments have been hit or miss, so tl;dr

Last evening was a stressor for the Texas grid and calls for voluntary conservation were in effect. At around 7 pm a coal plant tripped offline and the system lost 568 MW at the worst possible time (solar cosining out and evening winds not yet picking up). Within 10 minutes, batteries had taken up 423 MW of the slack for 5 hours.

Edit: still can’t post links, evidently. ☹️

Reasons to be optimistic about the stock right now:
  • Looks like they are still making Tesla semis. Maybe they are using them internally?
  • Tweet about 4680 milestone implies ramp is still making progress
  • Cybertruck in New Zealand implies last minute testing before trial production?
  • NACS now dominates. Only a matter of time for hyundai, Lucid, everyone else to agree
  • Elon is in global statesman mode, playing countries against each other to get the best incentives
  • Surely close to a highland reveal soon?

I think the stock may take a hit with Q2 financials. The price war is real and margins will fall. Some people will be surprised. I expect it to be fully reversed once production cybertrucks appear though.

Reasons to be pessimistic about the stock right now:
  • Ultrasound sensors removed & repurposed presumably to hunt for rare fish
  • Alcantara interior replaced with organic fresh cowhide
  • USB Dongle music forces "Baby Shark" to play on repeat

Sweep!

...the 2023 rankings are completely swept by Tesla, with all four of the EV maker’s vehicles taking the top spots in the index. Immediately following the Model Y was the Model 3, then the Model X and the Model S.

Watching the ticker has been entertaining of late. Particularly right after the opening bell.

Today I am imagining in my addled mind how the algos, MMs, shorties and stops are working furiously to sell, sell, sell for each of their own reasons. All the while the FOMOs are buying, buying, buying while being amazed how the price isn't going ballistic and is instead offering them a steady price.

Meanwhile, many of those selling are wrenched in agony, being unable to drive the price down in any significant way, despite all their tender ministrations which have always worked in the recent past.

All the while, as a spectator, I know their efforts will be costly and tend to taper off, giving the stock free reign.

This, as stated, is all in my imagination, is not based upon any fact, and most certainly should not be relied upon in the court of financial planning. You'll just have to come up with your own daydreams. Though, feel free to extract any entertainment value from mine which you may garner from it.

EDIT: Naturally, Murphy leaps at the opportunity while I eeked out the above text. Looks like this morning the forces of down are gaining a foothold, for now. However, this is TSLA, and we're HODLers, so we'll just wait patiently for the next good swell to roll in. Then, surf's up once more! 🏄‍♂️
This is the way.

Last edited:
Last evening was a stressor for the Texas grid and calls for voluntary conservation were in effect. At around 7 pm a coal plant tripped offline and the system lost 568 MW at the worst possible time (solar cosining out and evening winds not yet picking up). Within 10 minutes, batteries had taken up 423 MW of the slack for 5 hours.

Lol, I have it on good authority (from the candidate who came to my door) that 'renewables are unreliable'. I corrected her that 'renewables are intermittent' and she said 'THAT'S THE SAME THING!'

I then informed her about Tesla Megapack, and how our provincial electrical utility already owned one such installation. All she said was "I know"... but apparently what she didn't know was that fossil-fueled plants are unreliable in extreme heat (when they are most needed for AC). While the sun is heating things up the most, solar power production is the highest!

The Prosecution rests, your Honour!

This is a furious pace today! 53M shares traded in 45 minutes of market trading.

People following Elon’s advice to BTFD?

I'm happy to see that you put a "?" after that undefined acronym. 🤔 I'll continue to ponder upon suitable interpretations.
I think I may have guessed what the "F" stands for...

:)

Last edited:
Some very complementary words from cars.com. I love this list… And it’s interactive, so you could sort it by powertrain; those results are even more impressive!

Edit: just as exciting to me, is the thought that the German made model Y’s are likely going to wind out being the most European made cars as I’m certain a lot of parts are sourced from China for BMW, Mercedes and VW.

IMG_2720.jpeg

Last edited:
Some very complementary words from cars.com. I love this list… And it’s interactive, so you could sort it by powertrain; those results are even more impressive!

Edit: just as exciting to me, is the thought that the German made model Y’s are likely going to wind out being the most European made cars as I’m certain a lot of parts are sourced from China for BMW, Mercedes and VW.

View attachment 949491

That's not how you spell SEXY! Either 3/X needs to switch spots, or S/Y need to!

Joke of the day:

View attachment 949495

View attachment 949496

What did they expect Tesla to respond with? Ummm...no, that's not gonna happen?

I like how they paint Tesla as a "newer entrant" despite how they go on about how the others will be catching up.

THE COMPETITION IS COMING! 🤣

Bizarre, indeed, as the most recent Earnings Yield is not 5.22% as claimed, but 4.50%, with the next update being released July 8. Worse by far, it’s treacherous to compare the “yield” of corporate earnings - which are, of course, not dividend payments - to that of a “coupon” such as on a bond or T-bill.

Summary: Apples and Oranges here. AKA Baffle ‘em With Baloney.