Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a comment on the teslabot:

The reason tesla is developing a general purpose humanoid bot is not for constant repetitive work on a production line. Its because FSD research has proven to be very good at real world AI, and that expense can be spread over the *totally separate* development of a humanoid robot.

I do think that some of Tesla-bots object recognition stuff will enable Tesla to make a bunch of previously 'fuzzy' production line tasks that humans currently do, much more automatable, but that will likely be used to make better robot arms used on the line. I don't think tesla's progress on that will be especially public (as it does not need to be). I think we will only see hints of that in terms of reduced headcount/car produced over time.

The stated purpose of the Optimus Robot is to replace humans in boring, repetitive, and dangerous jobs.

This sort of work is exactly what it is intended to be used for.

I know people here are excited at the idea that the bot will help out in the factory. I do suspect they will use the factory as a test bed for the bot, but its not designed to be a production line worker at all. We already have that in the shape of robot arms by Kuka, ABB etc. Those are very good, and very fast and very very very precise. Just watch the kuka youtube vids...

The reason tesla is developing a general purpose humanoid bot is not for constant repetitive work on a production line. Its because FSD research has proven to be very good at real world AI, and that expense can be spread over the *totally separate* development of a humanoid robot.

I do think that some of Tesla-bots object recognition stuff will enable Tesla to make a bunch of previously 'fuzzy' production line tasks that humans currently do, much more automatable, but that will likely be used to make better robot arms used on the line. I don't think tesla's progress on that will be especially public (as it does not need to be). I think we will only see hints of that in terms of reduced headcount/car produced over time.
In the factory, I see Optimus doing things like unloading trucks and moving boxes, but probably won't be on the assembly line in the near future. That said, there might be a case to be made if Optimus is close to as capable (meaning fast) as a purpose built bot and far less expensive.

I know people here are excited at the idea that the bot will help out in the factory. I do suspect they will use the factory as a test bed for the bot, but its not designed to be a production line worker at all. We already have that in the shape of robot arms by Kuka, ABB etc. Those are very good, and very fast and very very very precise. Just watch the kuka youtube vids...

One of the easiest jobs Optimus can handle is security. Allied universal is the 3rd largest employer behind Walmart (#1) and Amazon (#2) in the United States. Observe and report with relatively simple manipulations of the environment necessary. The TAM for Optimus is enormous and I cannot wait for them to start rolling these out of what should be called The Exafactory.

Should optimus be a board member too.
Yes, someday a seat to represent Manufacturing, but as a non-voting member (for now). Who better to explain the robot issues at hand. (French and Italians know what I'm talking about.)

Not crazy, a robot network that is the Shop Floor Control. The resolution on factory progress and issues is nearly perfect.

Reactions: Drax7
Macro seems based on Yields dropping today. Doesn't seem like much... except below 5% sounds much better.

1698075724037.png

My wife is from Thailand, so we are here on our annual visit. Interesting to see the EV landscape develop quickly since we last visited in early 2022. When we were here last year almost no EV's and the Tesla's were gray market imports. EV's quickly became 8% of the market.

BYD is everywhere with about 50% of the EV market. We got to ride in a BYD Dolphin for a taxi ride using Grab which is an Uber like service. It was quite nice for an inexpensive compact in the $25K price range. You could tell the interior was some what inexpensive but it was still a well built car. The screen did not quite have the resolution of a Tesla and the UI looked quite simple. It had a large glass roof with an automated cover which was impressive for the cost of the car.

The driver told us he only paid 1 Thai BHT per Kwh which is only about $0.03 US. My guess is there is some subsidy for the Taxi drivers as electricity is not that cheap here. Also Taxi's make up a large portion of the fleet here as many people do without a car especially in Bangkok. I expect there will be quick uptake by the Taxi fleet for the economics.

My guess is the Chinese makers and Tesla will take most of the market. The Japanese car companies will be the biggest losers here during the transition. They have typically dominated here with 80-90% of the market. I understand BYD is building a factory in Thailand as well. I understand they are working on a small pickup as well which a large portion (45% or so) of the Thai market. Lots of small pickups outside of the cities.

Not to leave out advertising, BYD billboards everywhere. Lots of Tesla's on the road here as well but did not see any advertising.

So is this going to affect legacy car makers that are their own banks or actual banks? Whats the projected impact if this would blow up more
More repos, tighter lending practices, less new car sales, the banks can handle it but profits will be down when they write down the loans. In general it is a bad sign and if it extends to other areas we could see lower interest rates and that "soft landing" that everyone loves to tout won't happen. If it doesn't extend to other areas then we would see a downturn in the auto market overall.

I'm no expert but these are some thoughts that come in to my mind. In reality only time will tell...

Exactly how the teslabot will be used will evolve over time. I wouldn't get hung up over the term "production line worker" since teslabot will change what that term even means going forward in ways we can only speculate at now.

Agreed. I think the right way to think about the bot is to use the analogy of the computer. In the early days, we had special purpose computers optimized for one computing task. Then general purpose computers came along that could be programmed to do almost any computing task you could dream up.

While a special purpose computer could be optimized to do a task better then a general purpose computer, the economics of creating special purpose computers made them almost extinct compared to a general purpose computer that could be mass produced and then programmed for many different tasks.

Optimus is a general purpose robot. Economies of scale will dictate that they can be built cheaply. Then they will be trained to do whatever you want. So Optimus will eventually replace a lot of those specialized robots we see on production lines today. But more importantly, Optimus will do a lot of tasks where it would have never been economically feasible to do with a special purpose robot.

There is a long road ahead though. General purpose computers were difficult to program at first. The same will be true for training Optimus. And the search will be on for the most economically useful thing that Optimus can do. Until a few great use cases are perfected, it won't make sense to manufacture them in the hundreds of thousands.

While I'm very excited about the potential, I don't see Optimus making a meaningful contribution to Tesla's financials for at least five years and probably more.

That's not to say the stock price won't react a bit sooner...

Last edited:
For now it is probably best to think of Optimus as,
"Your plastic pal who's fun to be with" 🤖

...brought to you by Tesla, a subsidiary of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Yes. Optimus will do tasks that delight before it does tasks that are practical. Maybe "fun to be with" will be the first use case that justifies some limited mass production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird twist to having an efficient design: An efficient EV will take a bigger apparent range hit when towing.

Momentarily, I'll ignore differences in how the aero of the lead vehicle affects the airflow around the trailer. With that in mind, then we can say pulling the trailer itself is always going to cost about the same in Wh/mile. So, a tow vehicle that uses fewer Wh/mile will take a bigger percentage hit to its range when towing.

Example:
  • Big inefficient EV that gets 500 Wh/mile, and uses a 200 kWh pack to go 400 miles. Add on a trailer that requires an extra 350 Wh/mile, and the total cost to drive is 850 Wh/mile. Now, that 200 kWh pack is good for 235 miles, or 59% of the range without the trailer.
  • Potential Cybertruck at 350 Wh/mile, would need a 140 kWh pack to do the same 400 miles. With the extra 350 Wh/mile trailer, the total cost to drive is 700 Wh/mile. Now, that 140 KWh battery is only good for 200 miles, or 50% of the no-trailer range.
  • Just for fun: a theoretical Aptera at ~100 Wh/mile would need a 40 kWh pack to do the same 400 miles. With the extra 350 Wh/mile trailer, the total cost to drive is 450 Wh/mile. Now, that 40 kWh battery is only good for 89 miles, or 22% of the no-trailer range.

It potentially gets worse too:
If the terrible aerodynamic shape of the big inefficient truck effectively blocks some of the aero drag from reaching the trailer, then Wh/mile of the trailer might actually be lowered at speed. Likewise, if the Cybertruck's aero profile tapers down to a small wake behind the Cybertruck, then the trailer would not see any reduced drag. So the aero details that make a lead vehicle more or less efficient could further exaggerate the differences above...making the big inefficient truck look a bit better, and the Cybertruck look a bit worse.

An uninformed and/or devious journalist could easily present a biased towing range test that only measures the range loss of a bunch of EV's when a trailer is added. The more efficient EV would look "worse" because it loses more range....and the audience would only see this "problem" as long as the writer hid all of the actual Wh/mile numbers and didn't bother to explain the physics behind the results.
Towing with EV’s is just not going to be great no matter how it is spun. What it will do at some point 6-8 years out is force the more widespread use of use of ever more aerodynamic trailers for various uses. It’s inevitable. You also will see some partial solutions for things like boats, i.e. fairings on the trailers. The time when people could just act like aerodynamics don’t matter with vehicles is coming to an end, and there will be a LOT of changes that will seem like duh things. I really like the RIvian, but the shape of it is basically for marketing. There is no reason the front of the truck had to be shaped like conventional pickups, except to make acceptance easier for a wider group of buyers. Like all conventional PU’s the thing is an aerodynamic joke.