Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how BMW's attempt to charge monthly fees for hardware features blew up in their faces and was eventually walked back, I highly doubt Tesla would do the same.

Later in the thread.

"just like with connectivity, supercharging and such - it will be applied to new/used cars sales I imagine."

It wouldn't let me post the reply eithout signing in.
That doesn't say anything about these new "paid features" being a subscription. That was an answer to a question about if Tesla was going to retro-actively take away features and make them paid. For which he essentially said probably not, it would only apply to new cars sold after the change, though maybe when they take possession of a used vehicle they would make them paid as well.

Reactions: hobbes
Interesting, such a short time after the Elon-Xi meeting...

A bit scary in a way (coming from a slow moving bureau-democracy) but should bode well for future factories etc.
No. No, the action does not "bode well" for future investments from outside China because whatever the hell China wants to do they can do regardless of anything....and anything includes EVERYTHING.
Tomorrow they could just as easily pull a Putin, and declare Tesla is too important to the welfare of the State, and declare Tesla is now run by the State. (Yes I know it is very very unlikely. But it is within their range.)

November 14th does not classify as old news.

There may have been rumors before, but now there's code for it.

The old news I remember was also from mr Green. And from much longer ago. And as a programmer I remember thinking that whatever was "in the code" does not mean much. It could be a lone programmer having fun. Or a policy directly from Elon that was paused/axed.

We just cannot know. And resurfacing this much later make the odds greater that it's a scrapped idea. Or it would have already happened.

Just my 2 øre worth of analyzing.

Are you saying Elon is a racist, or just that his tweets are vague enough to be interpreted as racist? And that's why the stock price has been going down?
@EverettRuess
He is a racist and a anti semite
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

And THE ABOVE despicable, juvenile, knuckle-dragging post is a terribly appropriate example as to why we have boundaries in this thread.

I created this thread to have a Roundtable DISCUSSION: a venue wherein intelligent, reasonable, thinking, experienced, investment-minded mature adults could present and share their insights and learn from each other.

I created this thread as an alternative to the speed-of-electrons platforms the internet provides where participants do not listen to each other but digitally blurt out verbal diarrhea; who play jejune one-upmanship; who jump on a prior such post and use it to advance their own half- or even wholly-unbaked mental synapses and consider that a "thought" - somehow something worthy of being presented to others.

And the prior sentence is exactly my since-Twitter’s-creation description of what Twitter was made for: NOT a discussion center, but a posterboard for emplacing self-centered momentary thoughtlessnesses. Of all the cornucopia - may the gods of languages forgive me for the desecration of that superb word - of media present today, it is Twitter that encapsulates all that is horrific, all that is wrong, all that is destructive of the internet, and thus is the most conspicuous platform which I have excommunicated from here.

I sorely understand why there is frustration at some of the boundaries I have placed on this thread. I agonizingly long to discuss within this thread certain realities present in the all-encompassing universe that is the investment world. Of all the countless hours over the past decade+ I have spent massaging this very special investment community, a staggering amount of them have been spent in my attempts to reconcile unbridled discussions against the more unattractive realities of the Human Condition. There is, so sadly, no happy answer. Chafe against the rules of this thread; discuss with me ways you think more accommodation could occur, but if you cannot yourself abide by those rules? The alternative sites are many.

edited to clarify what are not this Moderator’s words

I get that X/Twitter is the talking point right now, but this is a stock related talking point.

While this could reduce initial pricing to sell more cars and then generate higher RMR (great for TSLA) it will also be universally hated like we saw with BMW (bad for TSLA).

For the sake of discussion, let's assume it's true...What do you think?
Is this simply an option package when buying the car (premium interior versus standard interior, where standard interior doesn’t have heated seats) or is this going to become “renting“ the heated seats via a monthly fee.

If the former, I have no issue with it.

If the latter, if it is “renting“ heated seats, then I think it sucks.

Reactions: wipster and MP3Mike
Tesla isn't in the nickel and dime game.
That's pretty crazy to say.

Tesla has removed a lot of basic features to reduce cost USS, passenger lumber, homelink, speakers...and have taken other things out for purchase separately like fobs, mobile chargers, etc.

But subscriptions for normal features would be a first for them.

That doesn't say anything about these new "paid features" being a subscription. That was an answer to a question about if Tesla was going to retro-actively take away features and make them paid. For which he essentially said probably not, it would only apply to new cars sold after the change, though maybe when they take possession of a used vehicle they would make them paid as well.
If that's how you interpret it, that's fine. Comparing it to supercharging and connectivity which are reoccurring payments and mentioning it on used cars is why it was taken that way on that thread and by others reporting it.

Interesting, such a short time after the Elon-Xi meeting...

A bit scary in a way (coming from a slow moving bureau-democracy) but should bode well for future factories etc.
The Electric Viking was sharing some interesting facts (and theories) yesterday. Maybe it's obvious, but how long ago did the China plan start?
  • 80% of China Dealerships lost money last year.
  • 10M vehicles sitting as inventory on Dealer lots, won't sell.
  • ICE very difficult to sell - registration process insane.
  • The Dealer in China is on the hook once they take vehicle possession, no give-backs.
  • China Dealership Bankruptcy likely (so it may seem).
  • China and Tesla take-over the industry, legacy collapses.
His conclusion (+ mine too) - The plan all along was for China to destroy global legacy auto (stringent, earliest emission laws). China welcomed Tesla early as they recognized the EV leader - they got the expert knowledge first hand. This also puts pressure on local BEV to compete... in China, and price wars continue cutting around 20% recently. IMO, as long as BYD or others in China maintain some growth, Tesla will be welcome in China. In that sense, I like BYD - the result of teamwork for the mission.

Speaking of BYD... Happy Friday!

If that's how you interpret it, that's fine. Comparing it to supercharging and connectivity which are reoccurring payments and mentioning it on used cars is why it was taken that way on that thread and by others reporting it.

Maybe you should pay attention to what he was answering:

Can they charge you without your agreement? If yes, the judges will be busy.

"it" will be applied. It being "paid feature", but he doesn't say anything about it being one-time vs. subscription.

So, in my view, his answer is all about can they change the features of existing vehicles without your approval.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Maybe you should pay attention to what he was answering:

As far as Supercharging he was probably referring to Free Unlimited Supercharging, which is not a subscription, but which they do take away if a car is traded in to them. He, also, included "and such" so you can throw EAP/FSD in there as well.

So, in my view, his answer is all about can they change the features of existing vehicles without your approval.
Again, that's your take. I don't think it's a logical one and not the prevailing one on the internet, but we can agree to disagree.

They were talking about it in the context of charging for seat heaters/heated wipers.

hey, the Tesla 'super bull' who gets invited and quoted often by the media, didn't get an invite

🤣 🤣

1700246395735.png

Which Tesla already does. They charge for rear seat heaters in some models, but it is a one-time purchase, not a subscription.
No, they don't.

We covered this earlier, seat/wheel heaters didn't used to come on all Teslas and in 2020 you could buy them for the M3 standard range, but they are included in all trims as of Nov 2021 in NA. I can't say the same globally, but google seems to suggest it applies to all Teslas.

No, they don't.

Really? Are you sure?

We covered this earlier, seat/wheel heaters didn't used to come on all Teslas and in 2020 you could buy them for the M3 standard range,
So, you are saying they activated all of the rear seat heaters in the old Model 3 SRs for free? Or are they still activating them with a one-time purchase? Or are you saying that they aren't allowing them to be activated at all anymore?

Really? Are you sure?

So, you are saying they activated all of the rear seat heaters in the old Model 3 SRs for free? Or are they still activating them with a one-time purchase? Or are you saying that they aren't allowing them to be activated at all anymore?
They come with rear seat heaters now. Older M3 they can be purchased. No Tesla in NA and it appears the world has an option for seat heaters. It's standard on all new vehicles. Hence this being new.

In the past with the m3, you would schedule service to enable the rear seat heater, even though it was an OTA $300 option, until they made it a standard feature.

In the past with the m3, you would schedule service to enable the rear seat heater, until they made it a standard feature.
Nope, it is an option to buy in the app.

Now, owners can simply go onto their Tesla App, pay $300, make sure their car is connected to Wi-Fi, and have heated rear seats in a matter of minutes.

1700248144300.png

My point is that Tesla is still charging for rear seat heaters today. (Sure, not on current models, but they are still selling that activation.)

And it is just like the acceleration boost option, one-time and not subscription based.