Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit, I don't understand how Tesla is able to kill it in the energy storage. I'm happy they do, I just don't understand why.

In my opinion, same reasons why Tesla is able to make great vehicles:

1. Engineering and manufacturing talent to make great hardware efficiently
2. Developer talent to make performant and intuitive software that customers enjoy using
3. An interconnected ecosystem that adds value (Supercharger network, Tesla App, Powerwall VPP, Autobidder)

Tesla has a problem in Europe, and it's Germany.
I recall 2023 had some incentives that ended 31/12, but I don't understand why 2024 should be lower than 2022... but it looks like it¹.

¹ if I recall correctly Q222 was artificially low for some macro issue that got solved in Q3.
1720014167448.png

I know nothing about this stuff, but given Elon's obsession with "rate of innovation", my rule of thumb is that I'm confident enough for every industry in which Tesla has years of experience.
Remember Wright's Law? I count the years in which Tesla has done something, and the more they are the less I'm worried about it.
It's a simple rule but it works.
I agree but the solar business fits this like a tranny in a beauty pageant.

Anybody that doesn't have CATL at the top of the list for battery storage providers is....nuts. They are already winning some of the largest deals in the USA and have the greatest capacity in the world.
The really ridiculous thing about this is that many of these rankings seem to conflate Solar Panels, residential BESS, generic batteries etc.

For utility level battery storage CATL is by some distance #1, BYD does it, but their primary market has been mobility, where they outrank CATL. and so it goes...
Without precisely defining terms rankings are ridiculous.

BTW, in my previous post I did not list BYD or CATL, but active in the utility markets, but both also artily supply other participants NOTABLY TESLA (sorry for shouting). As a partial result of their cooperation with Tesla both have quite nice BESS offerings, too.

It's perhaps uncommon to have battery suppliers be BESS suppliers and also support grid services. These two do it all!

FWIW, for my own Brazilian projects BYD, CATL(through partner), Huawei and Siemens were among the bidders, all but one indirectly.

Nobody comes close to CATL when considering raw production and then they participate in practically every conceivable subset. Nobody else has such breadth.

I have to admit, I don't understand how Tesla is able to kill it in the energy storage. I'm happy they do, I just don't understand why.
Because of 1st principles approach, vertical integration and building the machine that builds the machine.
.. not to mention the large number of extremely talented Engineers that choose tesla as place to work, and Elons/Teslas vision and ability to see into the future ..

Oh, I'm calling a short squeeze. It's gone!!!
Also, was that a pop? It's been so long, I forgot what they looked like.

I think we need a stock split, it's getting too pricey, eh?
Wait, maybe Elon should get those Options warmed up (or has been all week).
Better yet... they have too much cash with all the recent battery sales... why not buy some TSLA back?

Because of 1st principles approach, vertical integration and building the machine that builds the machine.
.. not to mention the large number of extremely talented Engineers that choose tesla as place to work, and Elons/Teslas vision and ability to see into the future ..
No doubt but it seems like it would be so simple for CATL or LG to do the same thing. Likewise, I can't understand why competitors can't make a charging station work.

So maybe CT is currently cannibalising S&X sales to some large degree. If you want the new hottest tesla as a status symbol, I guess you are buying a Cybertruck right now. Presumably they have plenty of S&X inventory - they could probably shut down the line and retool it for the roadster and no one would notice (make it a single line for S/X/R, even if they do batch production and change to a single model each month).
And how has the Model S and X been on the market?