Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
an uptick, last night into this morning, in demand for tsla shares by street stock loan desks ...
rate about + 2 to 2.25% now - not really advantageous per se...
spy is like 2.41% as a comparison

on one hand you can assume more people looking to short, but to me, it’s not significant enough, at this point, to expect any major SP reaction.
just reinforcement that the battle is still ongoing to suppress it

or it could be a play on the other installers getting hammered.
they get sold down 5-10% while expected tsla to go up a bit, street acquires the needed shares night before and into morning to commence a short at tsla top of days range??

who knows. just some interesting info is all.

ok so after an hour, maybe it was just attempt to suppress a rally, keeping it well below 245-250, and not short the top of a knee jerk rally (on the solar news, and subsequent installers thrashing)

we’ll see how day plays

Macros mostly. I'm very curious to see how my triple-top + sell in may theory pans out for macros.

Yeah, $TSLA dropped like the NASDAQ, but x3. No doubt helped-along by some friendly bears...

upload_2019-4-30_16-33-7.png

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I expect faster reaction times, multi sensor validation, increased field of view, constant attention and conservative action bias can compensate for inferior driving policy relative to average human and lead to less accidents.
I also expect driving policy can be made safer than humans, even without understanding causation.
Whether these together produce a car which is 10x, 100x, 1000x or 10000x safer than an average human I don’t know. But I’m sure an understanding of why something happened is going to allow for a solution which is better able to generalise. This will be able to better predict (giving more time to deal with the laws of Physics) and safely deal with scenarios very different from anything it has ever seen. So at some level, causation will add to safety. But it may never be required for Robotaxis.

One of the things that I loved when watching the presentation is realizing that the method they're approaching will - without any "logic" being dictated from Tesla - account for my typical examples of problematic edge cases from Tesla.

I'd often give the example of sheep. If you have a ewe beside the road, you should watch it but not be too concerned. If you have a lamb beside the road, you should tune your caution level up to "moderate". But if there's a lamb on one side and a ewe on the other, you should really turn your caution up to "high" and slow down because the lamb will almost inevitably run to its mother when a car approaches. I used to point out... is there going to be someone at Tesla programming the nuances of sheep behavior and teaching it to recognize a ram from a ewe from a lamb? And all of the edge cases like this?

Except no, and there doesn't need to be. Because their approach is to let the neural net itself solve for actor intent based on any and all content in the scene, without being told how to expect actors to behave. It's free on its own to determine that if there's a "lamb-looking" actor on one-side of the road and a "ewe-looking" actor on the other, the former is likely to run to the latter. No, curating and labeling the dataset that the net needs to train to in order to figure out this sort of thing is not a fully automated, zero-labour task. But it also doesn't require that Tesla program in sheep-behaviorual-logic and things like that ;)

My other common example is that of "adjusting driving cautiousness based on the environment". Is there a shoulder? How stable does that shoulder look? What's your braking distance going to be on it? If you drive off, will you end up in grass, or drive off a cliff? How likely is your current driving surface to send you accidentally into the shoulder? Etc. Again, Tesla doesn't have to spell out all of the nuance in the logic - it just simply needs to label roads and shoulders (which they apparently already do, from the images they presented), label danger areas, and the neural net itself will learn to recognize them, using all of its sensor data (not just cameras). And of course, Tesla gets hinted in to danger areas based on where users tend to disengage the system or at least lower the speed, so it can use these sorts of clues in order to build its training dataset.

Their approach seems endlessly flexible. That doesn't mean "ready soon", mind you. But it means that it's a practical approach.

Last edited:
Here comes the short attack. 73k shares dumped to push below 240. Another 63k to push below 239.

Yes, pretty blatant selling patterns. Often in the past, when it's been this obvious, they run out of funds and the price starts to climb again. We'll see I guess.

yes and where are they getting the shares?
maybe there was something to that overnight uptick in share locates for SLB

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla Looks to Regain Its Luster in Solar Energy by Slashing Prices

Good move. Even if they lose money on Solar, the revenue growth will show that maybe there is some potential in TE and it will be another growth story for the SP.

Once again we have reporters making up or at least implying causality, to the detriment of reader understanding. It's the Butterfly Effect used to explain TSLA stock volatility. Someone sneezes in Seattle ten seconds before Timmy's pet gerbil dies in Okeechobee, Florida, so therefore, the sneeze caused the gerbil to buy the farm. Tesla's Q1 suffers loss of $702 million, and clearly that is caused, as far as the NYT is concerned, by the fact that "deliveries of cars and solar systems tumbled." No need to mention the $900+ million debt Tesla repaid on time, as that would have changed the story, causing fewer clicks, less fear, uncertainty, and doubt. And we can't have that, can we.

Cool. I was talking about solar.

But, you're right, it's about time I got blindsided by Tesla Energy. Hearing that drum for 3 years now with little to show for it. Latest excuse there are not enough batteries. Let's see what gives this quarter.

TBH, I don't always agree with your generally depressive outlook, but I totally agree with this. TE, always the next big thing. There's much scepticism around FSD, but at least we see something there, TE, not a lot.

Anyway, I thought they were using Samsung batteries for TE??

TBH, I don't always agree with your generally depressive outlook, but I totally agree with this. TE, always the next big thing. There's much scepticism around FSD, but at least we see something there, TE, not a lot.

Anyway, I thought they were using Samsung batteries for TE??
My understanding is that Tesla took the only two battery production lines away from storage and repurposed them for Model 3 cells. Tesla was basically forced to use cells from others for storage.

Those two lines are now producing storage cells again so things are definitely looking up for TE. With Panasonic's production issues and Tesla Energy ambitions for growth, they may have to continue procuring additional cells from other companies.

Last edited:
Reminder: InsideEVs April US deliveries numbers come out as early as tomorrow. I'll be very happy if Model 3s are over 10k. I'll be very sad if they're under 7k. I don't really care about S and X, since April won't reflect the demand effect of the refresh. May S+X numbers, however, will be very important.
I expect it to be on the high side, honestly, nearing 10k. My reasoning was a comment that was made that they had delivered as many as they normally do late in the quarter. (The earnings call?)

I am not sure that counts ;-)

seriously Vienna convention on road traffic has a list of rules including the shape of the stop sign.

In a perfect world, it'd be great if self-driving only had to take into account how roads "should" be. ;) But the reality is that humans would stop at such signs, and so a self-driving system should as well.

But it shouldn't stop at such signs:

Billboard-584x358.jpg

img.php

Edge-case training data is important!

Reminder: InsideEVs April US deliveries numbers come out as early as tomorrow. I'll be very happy if Model 3s are over 10k. I'll be very sad if they're under 7k. I don't really care about S and X, since April won't reflect the demand effect of the refresh. May S+X numbers, however, will be very important.

Should be good. Inventory M3's are very tight.
Just 1 within 200 miles of Atlanta and its a LRAWD