Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to add something interesting I saw recently. I’m in Poland for the month and my YouTube feed adds are mainly adds about a network of 500 BMW i3s all around Warsaw. You can rent them by the minute with pick up and drop off locations all around the city. No payment for parking is used as one of the main points in the add. Very compelling idea actually. BMW is not taking this lying down.

Just wanted to add something interesting I saw recently. I’m in Poland for the month and my YouTube feed adds are mainly adds about a network of 500 BMW i3s all around Warsaw. You can rent them by the minute with pick up and drop off locations all around the city. No payment for parking is used as one of the main points in the add. Very compelling idea actually. BMW is not taking this lying down.

Wasn't there an EV rental thing going on that had to be canex'ed because of people destroying the cars?

Reactions: neroden

The i3 is such a fun car. Amazing handling and torque. I had one with the back up generator and had to roll into a gas station while driving to the Jersey Shore since the electric range is 60 miles and one of the service stops were closed off. Good times

comparethemarket.com - cost of charging an electric car globally

Interesting chart comparing car charging cost globally, using Tesla Model S as the example. Ireland sadly one of the most expensive, double the cost of the US. Solar power not a great option here either, due to climate.

charging table.PNG

Thanks for the links - quite interesting although not surprising. It does terrify me people buying cars that cost more than they make per year. I remember a guy on Reddit announcing he was buying the Model 3 Performance ($75k with options) and he was earning $62k a year. It's a free country and everything, but this is how people get into trouble. I've never spent more than 25% of my annual income on a car - so yes I've owned some terrible cars in my youth! :D
What's the difference how much you make so long as you can pay cash and don't finance it?

Inside the Mind Of Adam Jonas
.Aah F**K it, time to mess with the Shorts!!

Yeah but it also seems like this sets the ground for a reversal for a few weeks culminating in such expectations that the result is a miss come end of the quarter. Interesting to watch.

On another topic, with the launch of Starlink an initial success, has another possibility for TSLA peaked above the horizon?

I also hope they succeed. We need EV trucks in America, because Trucks make up a HUGE portion of the vehicles sold (for all that 80% use the trucks, like, once or twice a year for truck purposes).

However, I'm not certain how I feel with Ford and them partnering. On one hand, they now have a very large company backing them, and that goes a huge way for logistics, and funding, and manufacturing, and everything else.

On the other hand, Ford has a heavy, HEAVY interest in keeping their F-number series going strong. Why would they put the best effort going forward to steal their own truck sales? I just don't see them doing that, so Rivian may be limited.

Interesting, Rivian backed out of a deal with GM, supposedly because GM wanted to limit Rivian’s releases under their own brand name. And they went wit the Ford deal because they didn’t try to get similar restrictions.

So I agree the partnership is a mixed bag and it still seems a bit puzzling, because for Ford to use this to really accelerate F-150 electrification, wouldn’t they have to use the Rivian skateboard as-is? That would mean that Rivian brand and F-150e would have many common components, more like F-150e would be Rivian with a different body style. Which makes you wonder how will they differentiate? I assume they will use different wheelbases to allow the look and functionality to diverge.

• Informative
I’ll add a fifth.

In order to beat the quarter end deadline Tesla spent a ton of money on logistics. When people are told to get things done, no matter the cost, they will do just that. Last minute truck hires, lots and lots of overtime etc. That can’t be cheap. We should pay attention to that hird email where he talks about delivery costs.

This is part of the wave cost, I guess. If they aren't in a mad dash to deliver ("all hands on deck") - they would have solved at least one problem, even if partially.
Speaking of logistics and the wave, the last(?) ship of the quarter in just now being moored at pier 80, the Grand Quest.

Barron's this morning.

Tesla Stock in 2019 Looks a Lot Like Netflix Stock in 2011
By
Eddie Yoon
June 4, 2019 5:30 a.m. ET

“...Similarly, Tesla is spot on in their belief that demand for electric vehicles will grow exponentially. In 2018, electric vehicles were 2% of total new cars sold in the U.S. but 20% of Americans want an electric vehicle (per a study by AAA). Electric vehicles already have roughly a 10% market share in California. Tesla accounts for more than 60% of the share of growth of electric cars. The idea that Tesla’s 30,000 dip in deliveries in Q1 2019 versus Q4 of 2018 highlights a fundamental demand problem with either electric vehicles (which could easily number in the millions in the near future) or Tesla itself (since their products are beloved by consumers) seems like a stretch....”

Which makes you wonder how will they differentiate? I assume they will use different wheelbases to allow the look and functionality to diverge.

Uhm - dealer network, manufacturing capacity, economies of scale, marketing power, in the case of Ford? To be honest I'd be more worried about Rivian's ability to remain anything but a developer/subcontractor for Ford, in the long run. Which is actually fine by me (if Ford had a decent EV then I'd probably not be driving a Tesla).

Why on earth are people bringing curbed wheels to tesla to deal with?
"This is utter nonsense."

I have a small amount of curb rash from a few months ago.Tesla just referred me to some repair shops. I just ordered a rim protection kit from Evannex that should cover it, provide some protection from the next one, and give me a nice red accent (you can choose all black).

All I can figure is that there was real damage beyond cosmetics, if the car is actually sitting at the service center waiting for parts. Or could it just be a story?

Reactions: madodel
This is exactly why tsla needs to make service a profit center, 20% GM like the manufacturing counterpart.

Now it is a vicious circle, negative service margin --> lower priority/resource for service department --> slower service --> less service volume --> more negative service margin.

Frankly, tesla owners care more about service time than service/parts price.

This is again the proof that Elon's idealism makes operation improvement harder.

I hope somebody asks elon this at shareholder meeting:
How's your promised ramp up at Tesla Energy and Service going? Do you still remember them?

But I will tell you what affects demand. A friend of mine picked up his M3 a month ago and within a few days damaged his wheel on a curb. It has been sitting in the service center for three weeks with no ETA on when parts will arrive. Everyday he calls he gets the same answer, 'parts are back ordered and will arrive when it arrives'. This is utter nonsense.

Result - two others who had reservations, pulled out.

Elon just shoots himself in the mouth claiming 24 hour fixes for fender benders and such, but talk is easy. The system is broken they couldn't ship a wheel or a rim in three weeks.

Interesting, Rivian backed out of a deal with GM, supposedly because GM wanted to limit Rivian’s releases under their own brand name. And they went wit the Ford deal because they didn’t try to get similar restrictions.

So I agree the partnership is a mixed bag and it still seems a bit puzzling, because for Ford to use this to really accelerate F-150 electrification, wouldn’t they have to use the Rivian skateboard as-is? That would mean that Rivian brand and F-150e would have many common components, more like F-150e would be Rivian with a different body style. Which makes you wonder how will they differentiate? I assume they will use different wheelbases to allow the look and functionality to diverge.

If Ford makes an F-#E off Rivian's skateboard, I've little doubt it will look exactly like every other F-# series, besides badging. My friend upgraded from his 2014 model to a 2018 model before I left my last duty station, and I literally could not tell a single change difference in appearance. I'm certain that the F-# series will look the same until the Apocalypse.