Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not to say a 500 unit quarter will be good for their financials. They'll still have a lot of labor cost to spread over so few cars. Such low production would indicate problems ramping the line. That tends to generate a lot of scrap (Jerome indirectly admitted their high scrap rate persisted into Q3 2018, after they got past the worst of the ramp problems).
It would be interesting now to see how they ramp up. We know 3 rampup wasn't good - and they had no experience. Is GF3 going to be better ?

May be they will do some token production in Q4 - and capitalize all the labor cost. Q1 '20 is when the production starts in earnest.

It would be interesting now to see how they ramp up. We know 3 rampup wasn't good - and they had no experience. Is GF3 going to be better ?

May be they will do some token production in Q4 - and capitalize all the labor cost. Q1 '20 is when the production starts in earnest.
I think the biggest risk during the rampup remains with outside battery cell suppliers. As with Panasonic at GF1, supply + quality control from LG remains outside the control of Tesla.

The sooner Tesla can become their own cell supplier, the less risk there will be in their business. Waiting eagerly for Bty & Powertrain Investor Day, hopefully coming in 2020Q1.

It’s not offensive, merely only funny to residents of the northern hemisphere.

Edit: so I guess it depends who the target audience was for that tweet. If it’s to encourage Australians to order, inverting the image would only serve to alienate. If it’s to boost the corporate image in the north, a “look how we’ve grown” statement, then fine, have a laugh.

What about the kangaroo Tweet then?

Tesla on Twitter

OT: looking forward to the 4th Ashes test this week :D

The Porsche has four doors.

It will likely look a lot better. It will cost twice as much. The rest we shall see.

Not sue about it looking better. The original Mission-E concept was stunning (an interesting that this image is still used in many places when talking about the Taycan), but the production car is rumoured, once all fake decals are off, to look very, very similar to the Panamera.

And personally I find that car ugly.

Nevertheless, gimmicky marketing aside, I expect it to be an excellent car and have my finger crossed for big demand.

I switched sides guys. I'm part of the Shorty Air Force on stocktwats now. This piggy is cooked! Enron! Fwaud!View attachment 449660

8 yo humour: check
Offensive: check
Inaccurate; check
BS accusations: check
Incoherent nonsense: check

Congratulations, you're now eligible for day-care at the $TSLAQ crèche!!

Don't forget to say the complete opposite next time

Hmmm, this isn't on Twitter it seems?

8 yo humour: check
Offensive: check
Inaccurate; check
BS accusations: check
Incoherent nonsense: check

Congratulations, you're now eligible for day-care at the $TSLAQ crèche!!

Don't forget to say the complete opposite next time

Hmmm, this isn't on Twitter it seems?

Haha nah this is on StockTwits not Twitter proper

• Informative
Reactions: Unpilot
You might be surprised how much faster the Model 3 ramp in China is vs. the ramp in Freemont. I'm betting the volume in Q4 in China will be significant. But any meaningful production in Q4 will juice the share price even if it's only 500 cars. Because even that would be an astounding achievement, going from muddy field to production in 10 months.

I have to agree. If any place, China is the place where you will probably get a surprise on the upside for production ramp. I am very interested in how it will turn out. Whether or not the reverse of "American Factory" will happen.

If you look past the need for privacy and the Orwellian Communist party control China has some very interesting development that makes you look at life differently. What is a society like when currencies are completely digital and government monitoring and intrusion into your private life is the norm? When you no longer have unions. How bad/good will it get? How much can you push a population? How do you brainwash them into obedient slaves? I am sure some other governments are taking note. And onward, if the largest population on earth don't mind these, then is it really important to a good quality of life?

Like these ladies:

Like these people

Porsche_Club_Region_13.JPG

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg

Not sue about it looking better. The original Mission-E concept was stunning (an interesting that this image is still used in many places when talking about the Taycan), but the production car is rumoured, once all fake decals are off, to look very, very similar to the Panamera.

And personally I find that car ugly.

Nevertheless, gimmicky marketing aside, I expect it to be an excellent car and have my finger crossed for big demand.

It will look very little like Panamera.

Many people keep mistaking it for a 2 door coupe it looks so sleek.

This does compromise interior space. Likely 4 captain chairs lacking a 5th spot.

That hurts a family vehicle. This is pure sports sedan, not family car.

I am very sure it will look better than Model 3. And newer than a Model S.

"EVERYBODY has a Model S" in Silicon Valley and urban/suburban Norway.

This does compromise interior space. Likely 4 captain chairs lacking a 5th spot.

I hope you're correct, because I sincerely want it to do well, will benefit EV adoption as a whole.

I have a friend with his name down for one, will catch up with him tomorrow after the launch and see what's going on in terms of delivery times. He test-drove Teslas, but for him (and I agree), the Tesla interior just isn't good enough when you're used to, and expecting, something more luxurious.

Here's the Taycan that "Car and Driver" tested on the track, which should be quite close to the final form:

I'm a big fan of Porsche's design language, but if this is the final Taycan then they really screwed up this one:
  • They tried to keep the iconic 911 headlights but less accented - which is a mistake because the proportions are wrong.
  • They were probably constrained by high speed aerodynamics which is a big factor for EV range.
  • The back looks good, but so does the Tesla Roadster 2020 which won't leave more than maybe 6 months of sales for the high end "Turbo" Taycan before it gets humiliated for about the same price.
Design of the Taycan front doesn't even come close to the Model S, which is still breathtakingly gorgeous even after 7 years ...

Porsche says

“More than half of the people that are signing up for the Taycan have not owned or do not own a Porsche. Typically, if we look at our source of business, people coming from other brands, it’s Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. The no. 1 brand now is Tesla. That’s pretty interesting, to see that people that were curious about the Tesla for very good reasons obviously don’t stop being curious.”

Porsche says Tesla owners are the top Taycan reservation holders - Electrek

Every time I see a Model 3 owner looking over their reading glasses studying the display screen trying to figure things out I wince.

I think it is very naive to think Porsche will not take any sales from Tesla where it seems Gen II vehicles are demand constrained. Not everyone that pays $80k plus for a vehicle is willing to accept polyurethane seat covers and rubber steering wheels.

Does anyone know when the non Turbo Taycan is actually being released? I read there will be no Taycan available for under $130k for over a year in Norway.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne

Newer than Model S, what is that supposed to mean?

Some might want newer things that are not necessarily better for the sake of newer. But most people don't.

Furthermore, the Taycan doesn't look newer to me, it's still the same Porsche design language with something weird that can't be described, maybe Porsche doesn't want the Taycan to look better than its ICE siblings.

To my eyes, Model S looks much "moderner" than the Taycan. I think most people, car reviewers excluded, would agree.

Finally, Silicon Valley and Norway is only a teeny tiny part of planet earth.

GIGA3 update:

Twitter

Stamping press (Schuler?) and body assembly lines look pretty completed.
Unbelievable !

Fake news! Obviously that's Fremont with Chinese subtitles superimposed!

The building in China is still an empty shell, and even if they manage to get it finished before the end of the year, there is no way they can produce more than 10k cars a quarter. Tesla is obviously on the brink of collaps!

/S

I am very curious as to what % of the building is currently being utilized for Model 3.

Also, what is the difference between the red and yellow robots? I assume the red may just be Kuka, but the yellow robots look very similar.
Red is usually Kuka, yellow Fanuc robots

In 'my old days' I was programming on a Fanuc m20ia robot. So I know a little bit of those ;)