Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, my Fording god; they say in the sub-headlines, "NHTSA is investigating Tesla's 2000 Model S". I would too, since Tesla was founded in 2003 and didn't start producing the Model S until 2012!

So it's true! Tesla really has been avoiding taxes for years! This revelation is going to bring the whole pyramid/Ponzi scheme crashing down! /s

Are we expecting additional info on the gigafactory in the next day or so ?

IE: What deal did Tesla get ?

I don’t think Tesla got much of a deal. European Union rules do not allow countries, provinces or communities to give support in the shape of tax exemptions, grants or other perks, as they want a level playing field for all companies and do not want a race to the (tax) bottom.

Does it have to be in that quadrant? There is room on the other side of the road with much more space.
View attachment 476402

Cutting down such a piece of forest may be usance in some countries, it definitely is not in Germany. They cherish what is left of their forests, and rightly so. It would also provoke protests and legal battles that could drag on for years.

Last edited:
Does it have to be in that quadrant? There is room on the other side of the road with much more space.
View attachment 476402

Probably much too small. There is plenty of land out there. The area is not very developed. Lots of water, though not actually a swamp. The region will profit handsomely, as it is currently considered the poor side of Berlin.

I am contemplating taking some of the TSLA profits and investing in real estate in the area - like housing.

Probably much too small. There is plenty of land out there. The area is not very developed. Lots of water, though not actually a swamp. The region will profit handsomely, as it is currently considered the poor side of Berlin.

I am contemplating taking some of the TSLA profits and investing in real estate in the area - like housing.

Ha, me too.

Cutting down such a piece of forest may be usance in some countries, it definitely is not in Germany. They cherish what is left of their forests, and rightly so. It would also provoke protests and legal battles that could drag on for years.

That's not old growth forest though - it's mostly ~50 year old pine trees in that area, actively forested AFAIK. Brandenburg is full of forests: 37% of the land area, or over 1 million hectares are forests, and the general area Tesla picked is 80% forests.

Tesla's plot is probably around a hundred hectares (one million square meters) - or 0.01% of the forest area in Brandenburg, while 6,500 jobs is an increase of +0.8% for the number of active jobs in the state of Brandenburg.

This is an area that needs jobs - if this project is supported by the state government I doubt it's going to be a problem - checking the natural protection status of that plot was probably among the first things they checked.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea how GF4 will be financed? I doubt German banks are going to be as helpful as the state controlled banks in China.

Interest rates are negative, yes NEGATIVE, in some parts of Europe, so if Germany isn't interested, plenty of other places will be - remember, freedom of trade and movement in the EU.

That's not old growth forest though - it's mostly ~50 year old pine trees in that area, actively forested AFAIK. Brandenburg is full of forests: 37% of the land area, or over 1 million hectares are forests, and the general area Tesla picked is 80% forests.

Tesla's plot is probably around a hundred hectares (one million square meters) - or 0.01% of the forest area in Brandenburg, while 6,500 jobs is an increase of +0.8% for the number of active jobs in the state of Brandenburg.

This is an area that needs jobs - if this projected supported by the state government I doubt it's going to be a problem - checking the natural protection status of that area was probably among the first things they checked.

You are correct in your observation that there is still a lot of forest left in that part of the country, and that is not of high ecological value. But if only one local inhabitant or one environmental action group starts a legal battle it could still cause years of delay. A risk that should not be taken.

I think that's probably a very smart move for anyone who can afford to, and also has the locality for, helping develop the real estate package in that area. The Tesla factory will undoubtedly draw the prospective, knowledgeable, youthful talent to the area. Not just for the sheer opportunity a job offers, but that it's Tesla that's offering it. Young people who will be wanting to move to their own place/start a family, and then the people who will move there to support those personnel and their budding families.

Reactions: gene
struggling for relevance... After all her insults, lies and malicious actions does she think that now Elon will start feeding her information rather than letting her learn from announcements?

Or is that just the smell of desperation...

She's slime. Even in the article she wrote on the announcement, she couldn't resist putting in some snide remarks:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announces plans for fourth factory and design center near Berlin

The facility would be Tesla’s fourth, following the first Gigafactory battery plant in Nevada, near Reno; a factory that makes charging equipment and power electronics in Buffalo, New York, with plans to make Tesla Solar Roof tiles there someday; and another car plant that’s coming online in Shanghai, today.

If I recall correctly, around the time TSLA was over $350 last time, he said he converted his whole position to PUTs. which might have been profitable if he covered in time - I assume he didn’t. He is too stu[born].

Do we know if he went back to being naked short?

Please don't use the words "naked" and "Spiegel" in the same conversation!

I'm still trying to come to terms with "orgy" and "Lopez" from the other day...

You are correct in your observation that there is still a lot of forest left in that part of the country, and that is not of high ecological value. But if only one local inhabitant or one environmental action group starts a legal battle it could still cause years of delay. A risk that should not be taken.

I would think this would have been a question raised and answered before the decision to accept the location was made.

Besides, like you said before, it'd be really serendipitous if the GF4 has to pave over a gas station to build. Overlord Musk probably would do that for the giggles, if nothing else.

It was a very encouraging and positive moment. Diess clearly recognizes that the future is electric and that the best path is to transition as quickly as possible. He is trying to pull that most difficult of magic tricks -- convincing all of his shareholders, directors, employees, suppliers and customers that despite the short term pain it is better to welcome the future and move quickly.

I'll show my age but Diess embracing Elon and Tesla reminds me of the 1970s/1980s when Toyota and Honda embarrassed US car manufacturers with vastly better quality. In response to the shock (and hit to the bottom line) US manufacturing companies embraced Deming and 3-sigma manufacturing (precurser to 6-sigma). That didn't mean they would partner with Toyota (although GM did in a small way) but that they recognized that the world had changed and that they had to make fundamental changes in how they went about their business, because sticking to the status quo would be a disaster.

Bottom line: I don't think Diess' positive comments about Elon and Tesla means VW and Tesla will do business together (although it's possible that could happen in a small way), but rather that Diess wants VW and all of its stakeholders to embrace Elon's vision and move as swiftly as possible toward EVs. It's no different than a 1970s/1980s auto exec acknowledging that Toyota and Honda were doing some things right, and signaling that it was time to follow that path rather than stick to the old ways.

Either way it seems like a strong positive for Tesla and the mission of accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation. I really enjoyed watching it.
Ok but I bet Tesla licenses their FSD software to VW