Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison purposes:
Ford F-150
Regular Box: For a bit more room, the 6.5-foot regular bed gives drivers access to a spacethat is 78.9 inches long by 50.6 inches wide and offers 62.3 cubic feet of cargo capacity.
upload_2019-11-21_20-55-15.png

Ford Dealership in Indiana | Andy Mohr Ford in Plainfield IN › f...
2019 Ford F-150 Truck Bed Configurations - Andy Mohr Ford

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
I liked the look of the truck. As someone said it will grow on you. It did in a few seconds for me. Also Elon undersold the features. Like the way the truck bed is covered to give a cool unibody feel, three seat front etc. also the air suspension is a big plus for a truck that can carry large weights.

the glass demo was a snafu.

I think if they got rid of the harsh angle on the top and put ~45 degree angles on the rear of the bed it would improve it's looks markedly.

This truck is exactly what I expected from a company that has never accepted the status quo. If you don’t understand that or don’t like it, why are you here?

That's a bit cultish, don't you think? "If you don't absolutely love everything Tesla does, you're not worthyyyy!!!"

There's definitely a market for this truck. But it will be polarising. No need to hide from it.

This
Why would the market react negatively

This does not appear to be a truck that will sell in Model 3/Y numbers, and I think that is what they were expecting. Although they shouldn't because Elon said on several occasions that this is not a mainstream truck and that is coming later.

The wife just rejected my proposition of date night watching the Cybertruck event. Model Y reveal really did a number on her enthusiasm for Tesla events. :rolleyes:

View attachment 479623

Funny but true, my wife and I watched this for date night.

Ply her with alcohol. It’ll be the best time she never remembers. Make sure to put a phone in her hand so she can order her truck.

I didn't even have to use alcohol.

My first response to the visuals was "OMG no!" but the more I looked at it... it grew on me. People mocked the Wii's name and there were plenty of predictions that it would go nowhere because no one would be able to look at, much less talk about it, without laughing. The different appearance is certainly having its effect in this forum. But I think that the only meaningful complaint is the lack of ability to have a ladder rack. Which only really means that group can't use it no matter how much they'd like to.

Then the glass. Obviously this is the only thing that will be in the press tomorrow, the weekend, Monday, the rest of the year. It was embarrassing. Obviously hadn't pitched a rock at the installed glass, just done drop tests. Stupid presenter mistake: never, never, never demo something you haven't tested. But, in the long run? Yeah, I don't see it being an issue in 2021 when they start being sold. Its "bullet proof" glass that wasn't demonstrated appropriately.

So, short term drop? Yeah, I think that's a given. Too bad I don't have any dry powder to take advantage. If the short pipe dream I saw posted early of <$200 happens? I'll be up to my ears in shares...

I guess the internet will be all over this, but traders will likely worry about profitability at this price. Seems too low to be true, can Tesla really expect to make 20+% margins on this beast? My guess is Frankfurt will open at -3%, then go to +0%, then end up at -5%. Then a slow recovery as Robinhood skyrockets.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
It's actually pretty close to what I imagined it to be.
Here was my crude attempt by using someone else's drawing.
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

From the response, it looks like the normal truck macho man doesn't like the look. But it is exactly the look that I wanted in a cybertruck. So it will probably appeal to a different demographic that needs toughness as well as liking the cyberpunk look. In fact, I am pretty sure I want this for my girlfriend. It's a cheap way to get a bullet proof car to protect those important to me.

A question mark did occur though. I like the fact that the windows will be tough and unbreakable, but doesn't the authorities require that it is breakable in case of emergencies?

The ONLY problem with this machine (besisde its uglyness) is : how do I install the ladder RACK???!?!

This thing is built of steel. You should be able to weld any kind of rack or really anything else to this thing. The aftermarket companies will go wild.

I'm welding a rocketlauncher to mine.

This had to be a manufacturing cost and safety decision for those straight panels. Wonder how it looks in color? This could have been rounded out but the rollaway cover would need to curve and that would lose strength. It's logical with all those triangles too. Pity anyone getting in it's way on the roads. I have too many questions like has the crumple zone (I-beams) moved to the exoskeleton, so eliminated? That's new too.

I have a neighbor that painted a really nice car in flat black... I hated it and he paid extra, so this one's hard to accept. Needs color! Someone yet?

The girlfriend and I liked it. She wants one right now. We're both idiots, but still...this may not be for everyone, but hopefully it will really strike a cord with enough people.

I agree with Elon, cars and trucks have looked the same forever. Now he's made a truck that can blow every other truck currently produced out of the water, performance wise. The design is functional. I think it looks cool.