Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the 3rd time I've posted this over the years, and normally it's to provide comfort after some tough down days, I guess I'll need to learn that it works both ways?

"I feel as though I need to chime in with a few observations after holding common shares of TSLA since 2012 (I got out of the Options nonsense some years back after my hands were too bloody to catch anymore knives)

Here's how I sleep quite restfully at night*;

- Accept that $100 swings in the span of weeks or even days are normal and to expect that level of volatility.
- Elon's going to Tweet. It's never a mortal wound, but there will be stitches required from time to time.
- Every ER gets a little more exciting than the last in terms of the numbers, let those numbers do the talking.

In short, as long as the lights are on in Fremont, Reno and, Shanghai, I couldn't** care less about anything else.

*Got a TempurPedic last week, it's awesome. Update: The TempurPedic is Still awesome."
** Fixed, as I do care about that sort of thing.

...and after that we only need about $22Billion more to equal GM+F+FCA.

At which point we start to call them the "Detroit Small Three"

That's funny but a company's market cap is more of a prediction of how large it will become in the future. When speaking in the present tense of the "big three", it would seem sales revenue or unit production would be a better way to define them.

Good point, however, for longer road trips, there needs to be sufficient capacity for overnight charging to be able to ‘fill’ the battery in time. A 7kw charger adds 20 miles per hour to my S. If the battery had a range of 500 miles, it would take 25 hours to charge from empty.

Right, I meant to put that as a condition. It's far easier to install 240V destination chargers that can charge at 50+ mph than it is to build superchargers. So, obviously, motels and resorts would have a great incentive to install destination chargers. I think in 3-5 years, all mid and high-end hotels will have them installed. If not, their business will suffer greatly.

Good point, however, for longer road trips, there needs to be sufficient capacity for overnight charging to be able to ‘fill’ the battery in time. A 7kw charger adds 20 miles per hour to my S. If the battery had a range of 500 miles, it would take 25 hours to charge from empty.

So in that circumstance, partially recharge overnight, then head toward a Supercharger station and eat breakfast at a nearby restaurant. :cool:

We're getting higher in share price quicker than I thought we would before earnings. Not out of the realm of possibility that we hit 500 before the end of next week.

I'm personally hoping that shorts make a new push of shorting when we hit 500 only for Q4 earnings to absolutely destroy expectations. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that Tesla made/delivered so many more cars than Q3 without any help from Giga 3 means more margin expansion due to more cars sold verses fixed depreciation numbers..... verses needed Giag 3 help to reach those some exact numbers. Then add in much higher S/X numbers and no discounting for any models throughout Q4 and also price increases.....yeah I think earnings are going to blow away people.

Just need that Q1 guidance of profit and steady production/delivery numbers to ice the cake.

Don't forget the acceleration boost upgrade's impact on Q4 financials!

I agree with this sentiment. I'm going to hedge with some puts going into earnings to protect some March calls that are now DITM, but I am expecting positive forward guidance in the call and some exciting announcements at battery investor day that will push this stock well into the $500s or above, with the big caveat that the world doesn't go to *sugar* over the Middle East in the meantime.