Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. SEIs form on both the anode and cathode, but usually are more of a research concern for the anode (lithium-intercalated graphite is highly reactive). They form an interphase between the graphite / silicon of the anode and the liquid electrolyte, and have both beneficial and adverse consequences. On the downside, they slow down ion diffusion into and out of the anode, and get thicker over time (quickly early on, increasingly slowly later on). But the upside is quite a fortunate coincidence (since the formation of SEIs was not intended in early li-ion work): they protect the electrode from further decomposition. Hence forming an SEI is important, and its durability and how effectively it resists further degradation is critical. The work here is to form an SEI with as desirable properties as possible in as cost-effective of a manner as possible.

2. Voltage directly corresponds to capacity, by P = I * V. The other part of the equation is amp hours, which corresponds directly to how many lithium ions are mobile between the anode and cathode (voltage is the change in electric potential between the anode and cathode).

3. Li-ion batteries work by moving lithium ions intercalated (inserted into) the cathode across a membrane to intercalate into the anode when charging, and the reverse when discharging. Intercalation is a diffusion problem, both in terms of how much you can ultimately insert / extract, and the rate at which you can do so. And temperature strongly influences diffusion rates. The hotter you can run your cells, the faster you can diffuse ions in / out (current Teslas usually supercharge in the 50s celsius, and discharge in the 30s, under ideal conditions, according to ScanMyTesla data). Lithium ions can only intercalate into cold cells slowly, or not at all (which one may experience as a lack of regen or slow supercharger speeds when the battery is cold). If Tesla can run cells hotter when charging without adversely affecting battery life, they'll be able to charge (significantly) faster, and to (slightly) higher capacities.

So deliberate rust?

Paraphrased: nobody *in the business* knows squat. Lovely.

So today I took a closer look at your new avatar, and used a CSI tool to zoom in to your box:

upload_2020-1-29_15-0-28.png

Traitor!! :mad:

It would be nice for Elon to push forward a potential real COO for Tesla more clearly in this earnings release and investor call. Today is TSLA earnings PLUS a spacex launch. Thats a crazy amount of multi-tasking for any CEO. I'd be happier as an investor to know that they were gradually getting more comfortable with putting forward other names to talk about the country other than Elon. He has to drive the companies vision, he doesn't have to micromanage the details.

Reactions: GOVA
It would be nice for Elon to push forward a potential real COO for Tesla more clearly in this earnings release and investor call. Today is TSLA earnings PLUS a spacex launch. Thats a crazy amount of multi-tasking for any CEO. I'd be happier as an investor to know that they were gradually getting more comfortable with putting forward other names to talk about the country other than Elon. He has to drive the companies vision, he doesn't have to micromanage the details.
They have said in previous calls that they have tried for years to find a COO. I think it was in 2018 when it was obvious that Elon had too much on his plate. I imagine they are just trying to find the right person who actually wants the job.

After a few blessèd days off....

1. I'm still trying to ketchup on this thread, particularly as it seems to have gone to the hot dogs, and
2. I have figured out what "more carat, less shtick" means, but the rest of you will still have to dig for it, and
3. The next time a certain Moderator tells you not to post about some off-topic disease outbreak....whoever violates that is going into long-term quarantine. REFER TO: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

~Vetinari

Next up: 1530 PST.
Why didn’t you just google more carat less shtick see meaning right away. Not tough

Speaking of COOs, what has happened to Gwynn Shotwell? She was quite prominent on the internet a while ago but haven't heard a thing from her lately. Really enjoyed her insights. I thought for sure she would be on the panel after the crew dragon abort test but no dice.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
If he gets COO he will just start up a new company to fill his spare time

Sorry; meant @Singuy

On mods, point taken. Rather than discuss things that might affect both fundamentals and stock price of Tesla, let’s instead blast off for pages and pages about our personal options positions.
Those personal options positions posts are often helpful to those of us with very low options experience and knowledge...