Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, that kills my hypothesis that Tesla could announce new-tech cells going into all cars in April... unless Tesla has licensed the new tech to CATL like they worked with Panasonic on cell form-factor and chemistry. I can't rule out surprises from this pesky company.
There is simply an unlimited demand for batteries at the moment. In any form.

So with Elon talking about a major re-write of the vision NN that's "almost complete", and his recent answer on the Q4 earnings to the question about feature complete FSD I no longer expect a feature complete release to be shipped (and associated deferred revenue to be recognized) in Q1 or Q2 this year.

Reading the below transcript it "feels like" they are still building the foundational tools they will need to implement FSD, and they are not able to deliver even feature complete FSD without them including: The vision/decision system re-write which brings more of the problem into the NNs as well as the Dojo video training platform which will increase labeling efficiency by an order of magnitude.

Both of these examples sound like significant advancements, but given that Tesla is still working on the foundational aspects here, and has yet to really iterate with them yet I'm now starting to think the earliest we'll see feature complete FSD is Q3 but Q4 2020 is more likely, and that it could slip into 2021. I'd love to be wrong about this as both an investor and FSD purchaser.

What are other's predictions here with this new info?

From the 2019 Q4 Transcript: Elon Musk: "Well, I mean, to be precise, I said I was hoping it would be feature-complete with both FSD by the end of last year. We got pretty close. It's looking like we might be feature-complete in a few months. The feature-complete just means like it has some chance of going from your home to work let's say with no interventions. So, that's -- it doesn't mean the features are working well, but it means it has above zero chance. So I think that's looking like maybe it's going to be couple of months from now. And what isn't obvious regarding Autopilot and Full Self-Driving is just how much work has been going into improving the foundational elements of autonomy. The -- like the core autopilots in Tesla or Autopilot software and AI team is just is I think very, very strong in making great progress. And we're only beginning to take full advantage of the Autopilot hardware and the FSD hardware.

So I think it's -- the apparent progress, as seen by consumers, will seem to be extremely rapid, but actually what's really going on my head it seems like that is just having the foundational software be very strong and we've got really strong foundation. And then a really fundamental thing is moving to video training. So in terms of labeling, labeling with video in all eight cameras simultaneously. This is a really, I mean in terms of labeling efficiency, arguably like a three order of magnitude improvement in labeling efficiency. For those who know about this, it's extremely fundamental, so that's really great progress on that."

Indeed, well done commercial! Just too bad all the interested buyers will be disappointed to find out how it comes up short when compared to Tesla’s offerings!
You are still going to have die-hard brand loyalists who will buy anyway. Also those who will not buy Tesla for any reason. I mean after all, some are still buying Nissan Leaf even with inferior battery engineering and range. Many people will not know (or research) what the differences are and buy the first shiny bobble they encounter because they simply don't know what to expect.

Sorry, I just didn't get their message. If the screen didn't tell me the car was electric I wouldn't have known. Singing the Frozen song "Let if Go"?

I thought the commercial was atrocious. To say that simians are running the show right now at the legacy OEMs, well, that is insulting to simians. They would have done a much better job.

Thank God advertising does not matter right now. People are demanding BEVs all on their own.

So here is my take on Tesla not advertising. I agree that they don't need to. However it's kind of a miss opportunity to have other manufacturer give the majority of the people who are clueless about electric having their biases about electric car's short comings realized.

For people who thinks electric cars has short range and no where to charge, all manufacturers are giving these people exactly what they feared.

So a Tesla advisement is more educational than demand seeking which needs to happen for the S curve deployment coming up in the next few years.

Maybe I missed one but I saw no loud, tough ICE pickup ads for the first time in as long as I can remember. And 4 (Mustang, Hummer, e-Tron, Taycan) EV ads. The FCA (Jeep) ad was goofy (Bill Murray groundhogs). Seems like a notable shift for the “Big 3” not to advertise their traditional F150, Ram and Silverado money makers on the Super Bowl

Hi, nobody cares about Shanghai Stock Index , which drops 8% as of now? How is that going to affect TSLA?
American futures are actually up. I don't know what's going on over in Europe, but the previous Chinese stock market crash also wasn't a contagion (ha!) which spread to the ROTW. Because China more or less runs their stock market like you would expect Communists to, most people don't really take the Chinese stock market very seriously outside of China. And it's never really traded in line with ROTW's stock markets for this reason.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Did anyone else crack up after hearing this ridiculous question from Adam Jonas which immediately came after Elon’s response about retail investors being more informed than the financial analysts covering Tesla? The timing was just unbelievable!

That’s a good point! When Jonas was the first analyst called, I was like whaaaat? But now I wonder if it was intentional knowing he’d ask something stupid.

So here is my take on Tesla not advertising. I agree that they don't need to. However it's kind of a miss opportunity to have other manufacturer give the majority of the people who are clueless about electric having their biases about electric car's short comings realized.

For people who thinks electric cars has short range and no where to charge, all manufacturers are giving these people exactly what they feared.

So a Tesla advisement is more educational than demand seeking which needs to happen for the S curve deployment coming up in the next few years.

Eh, Teslas sell themselves, really. I think allowing legacy brands to spend money promoting BEVs is only a positive for Tesla.

I mean, if you google e-tron, one of the very first links is to a Car and Driver article that mentions Tesla in the first sentence.

Eh, Teslas sell themselves, really. I think allowing legacy brands to spend money promoting BEVs is only a positive for Tesla.

I mean, if you google e-tron, one of the very first links is to a Car and Driver article that mentions Tesla in the first sentence.

Not saying Tesla's need this for demand. There are plenty of demand. They need to constantly pound their competition into submission that they need charging infrastructure and more range. Too many clueless people including these legacy makers ceo think EVs are for tree hugging liberal hipsters. They still don't see EVs being the future because no one is buying them (and people who buy Teslas are just mindless fanboys with a demand peak). They never valued range and charging infrastructure because there are only so many tree huggers out there. This is the "lack of demand" story.

But if Tesla just educate the public "we have solar powered Charging infrastructure every 50 miles and can charge a car 75 miles worth of range in 5 mins, and our cars have 300 miles range" over and over, then clueless people will finally see how there are no more compromises. And it's the legacy auto makers with the compromises. Zero legacy EVs will be sold until they have what Tesla has. That's the only way to get the slower adopter/naysayers off ICE, is to force legacy automaker to follow suit and stop treating EVs like a second class citizen.