Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expected tire longevity can (and should be) a parameter in the tire's tax rate. It's just a simple issue of "expected road wear for the tire over the course of its lifespan, at its design loads".
A couple of issues.
Someone with an alignment problem will pay more.
Cars and light trucks are most often driven with less than GVW. Tires are usually spaced to be more than GVW (or at a minimum the same as GVW).
I don't see how anyone could consider this a fair tax.

Reactions: JRP3
Obviously OT, but where are you going to keep this device and where do you think it will end up after a head on collision at any speed especially one hard enough entree the electric system is compromised?
I keep mine in the bottom of my door pocket. Short of a rollover it's probably not going to fly out, and it does have a pair of gloves wedged over it, so maybe not even then.

I kind of like the idea of taxing tires. Tire wear corresponds directly to road wear, when you take into account the type of tires (e.g. studded vs. non, what sort of loads they're designed to bear, etc). The only issue is that due to how expensive tires would get, it'd be a significant counterincentive to people replacing them at proper intervals; you'd have to significantly tighten enforcement on that.

Taxing tyres would would also factor in performance and vehicle weight.

I am not in law enforcement, but despite perceptions about police being trigger happy in the US they do not wantonly discharge their firearms. In fact, I'm reasonably certain that discharging a firearm requires justification. My point is that it isn't their "go to" and probably shouldn't be.

Note that a handgun is a sturdy, heavy piece of metal, which can be used to easily break a car glass.

With the safety on, of course.

Taxing tyres would would also factor in performance and vehicle weight.
Cars and light trucks usually run at less than GVW. Sometimes far less. Also tires wear faster when not aligned properly, have low inflation, or run a significant amount on gravel roads. There's zero way to make tire wear a fair tax.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
A couple of issues.
Someone with an alignment problem will pay more.

And should. If they're wearing out the tires faster, they're also wearing out the road faster, Wear to the tires corresponds to wear to the road, because as the road wears on the rubber, the rubber wears on the road.

Cars and light trucks are most often driven with less than GVW.

Yes, you would assume an "average" load that such a tire is driven with. That said, the lighter the load, the longer the tire lasts, so the less you pay (less frequent tire replacement). The higher the load, the shorter the tire lifespan, and the more you pay.

Cars and light trucks usually run at less than GVW. Sometimes far less. Also tires wear faster when not aligned properly, have low inflation, or run a significant amount on gravel roads. There's zero way to make tire wear a fair tax.

Then people will rightly pay more for not doing basic maintenance on their vehicle, which also causes more road wear and higher fuel consumption = more pollution.

Reactions: KarenRei
Note that a handgun is a sturdy, heavy piece of metal, which can be used to easily break a car glass.

With the safety on, of course.
Yes. In fact, I almost put "pistol butt" in my list. The reason I did not was that using it in such a fashion isn't staying strictly within safety. Unlike older designs*, a modern firearm should not be able to accidentally discharge from delivering a sharp blow -- but nevertheless it isn't prudent to use it in such fashion.

At the same time, if nothing else were available, it should do quite well.

* it isn't just a matter of locking the trigger, the hammer also needs to be locked, which has not always been the case.

And should. If they're wearing out the tires faster, they're also wearing out the road faster, Wear to the tires corresponds to wear to the road, because as the road wears on the rubber, the rubber wears on the road.

Yes, you would assume an "average" load that such a tire is driven with. That said, the lighter the load, the longer the tire lasts, so the less you pay (less frequent tire replacement). The higher the load, the shorter the tire lifespan, and the more you pay.

I'd want to see some numbers on the first point. Sure, water wears stone, but it takes an awful lot of water. Weight (and studs) what cause road wear. The tread compound scrubbing on the road is minuscule. The road will be repaved long before any amount of tire scrubbing will impact the road surface.

On the second point. Who's to determine the "average load", particularly in light trucks where most of them are driven empty most of the time, unless used for commercial purposes.

There is no way to make the system even remotely fair using tire wear. Also this kind of tax would weigh heavily on the less well to do because they're more likely to have vehicles in questionable repair, and are likely to purchase cheaper tires. The UTQG is done by the manufacturers and is almost always based on the most optimistic results that they can get away with.

Saw this new Honda SUV driving today and couldn't believe the panel gap on this car! The panels are so gappy that I thought the rear passenger doors were open. How unreliable!

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_124309.jpg
    IMG_20190225_124309.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 78
Yes. In fact, I almost put "pistol butt" in my list. The reason I did not was that using it in such a fashion isn't staying strictly within safety. Unlike older designs*, a modern firearm should not be able to accidentally discharge from delivering a sharp blow -- but nevertheless it isn't prudent to use it in such fashion.

At the same time, if nothing else were available, it should do quite well.

* it isn't just a matter of locking the trigger, the hammer also needs to be locked, which has not always been the case.

Drop magazine, de-chamber round.

Then people will rightly pay more for not doing basic maintenance on their vehicle, which also causes more road wear and higher fuel consumption = more pollution.
This assumes the alignment shop does it right. Many don't. Even Tesla has done poor alignment a few times on my S85 and I've had to get it corrected elsewhere. (To be fair, they are now better than they were in the early days.)

At the risk of putting this thread even further OFF TOPIC:

Striking a tempered glass surface with a blunt object probably will not use it to shatter. This is why tools designed to do so have a sharp hardened point.

Discharging a gun is a foolish idea, especially in this latest case where it's been stated the side curtain airbag obscured the interior, and no officer in in their right mind would do so without knowing where the occupant(s) were. Imagine the uproar then.

Should anyone find themselves in a similar situation in the future, know that wedging anything between the window and door body, shoving said object past the rubber weatherstripping, followed by sharply pulling said object creates enough pinpoint pressure at the bottom of the glass to cause it to shatter.

There a video somewhere on YouTube of someone removing their old style headrest and using the metal rods to do just that..

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking