Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While no doubt you were speaking colloquially, I'll point out that the nature of a warhead explosion as compared to the breach of vehicle fuel tanks (even violent ones) are different.

A warhead detonates, and is the resulting pressure wave that causes the vast majority of the destruction. A breached automotive tank typically deflagrates which, while dangerous, is not on the same level as a "warhead".

The typical exceptions would be pressurized fuel tanks like propane or H2, which would typically "BLEVE"[1], which is also a different type of detonation.

[1] Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion

While a BLEVE is a (terrible) thing, that does not prevent leaking, non-pressurized fuel from a vehicle to vaporize and mix with air, forming a mixture that can ignite accidentally in much the same manner as it happens (by design) in a thermobaric weapon (a.k.a. FAE, Fuel Air Explosive).

In fact, the risk of having a sudden ignition of a significant volume of vaporized fuel / air mix seems worse in a burning ICE extraction scenario than one involving a BEV, where a fire can be expected to evolve in a more gradual manner.

Last edited:
Save the date: Consumer Reports is doing a Reddit AMA (Ask-Me-Anything) tomorrow at 12 PM EST.

CR Cars on Twitter

This will be fun ;)
Good thing they are not milking this in a blatantly obvious way... Otherwise one could think they have created controversy only to get the clicks and then in the following days they schedule media events to keep the topic hot.

BTW, just so everyone is prepared: anyone who asks any questions about how the Model 3 lost the recommendation when it aced 14 out of the 17 categories and did OK to good in the other 3 is going to be labeled a "Tesla fanboy".

Yes. In fact, I almost put "pistol butt" in my list. The reason I did not was that using it in such a fashion isn't staying strictly within safety. Unlike older designs*, a modern firearm should not be able to accidentally discharge from delivering a sharp blow -- but nevertheless it isn't prudent to use it in such fashion.

At the same time, if nothing else were available, it should do quite well.

* it isn't just a matter of locking the trigger, the hammer also needs to be locked, which has not always been the case.
It's pretty easy to pop out the clip and the round in the chamber and use it any way you want.

Reactions: madodel and mekberg
I am not in law enforcement, but despite perceptions about police being trigger happy in the US they do not wantonly discharge their firearms. In fact, I'm reasonably certain that discharging a firearm requires justification. My point is that it isn't their "go to" and probably shouldn't be.

But even if they do not have a specialized hammer handy I'm puzzled at an inability to break a window. As already noted, any sharp force is going to simply shatter the entire pane of glass. It really isn't that hard to do.
I don't think auto safety glass shatters that easily. It's made to not splatter everywhere. Also I thought the cops had arrived late - car engulfed and that only bystanders had been trying to break the windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Not sure how much of an Osborne effect there will be for a car that won't be launching until next year. And is in a totally different size class. And will probably launch with its most expensive versions, while Model 3 will be down to releasing its cheapest versions.

While per definition not an Osborne effect, it could cause people in the market for an ICE to put their purchase on hold...

Over a third of the Model 3 VINs Tesla has ever registered were registered this quarter:

Model 3 VINs

102.321 VINs :)

That's a growth of over 50% in a quarter, corresponding to an exponential growth at a doubling time of (less than) 1.7 quarters (since 1.5 ** 1.7 is 2). A doubling time of 1.7 quarters equals an annual five fold growth...

"JB, we're gonna need a bigger factory! Let's call it a giga-factory!"

Reactions: gene
Good thing they are not milking this in a blatantly obvious way... Otherwise one could think they have created controversy only to get the clicks and then in the following days they schedule media events to keep the topic hot.

BTW, just so everyone is prepared: anyone who asks any questions about how the Model 3 lost the recommendation when it aced 14 out of the 17 categories and did OK to good in the other 3 is going to be labeled a "Tesla fanboy".

Analogous to those muscular men at the gay pride parade I self-identify as a "Tesla Fanboy", so no problem there. :)

Reactions: gene and madodel
This assumes the alignment shop does it right. Many don't. Even Tesla has done poor alignment a few times on my S85 and I've had to get it corrected elsewhere. (To be fair, they are now better than they were in the early days.)
"Elsewhere"? I've looks all over to find someone, including all of the major tire outlets, to do an alignment, and no one wants to touch a Tesla. I'd welcome any advice about how to fine someone to do an alignment. The closest SC is over 100 miles away.

I don't know if already posted, but here is one longer video of the fire:
If I might weigh in... we are all done with finding out the effect on TSLA stock by a Tesla car on fire. The answer, is... no effect.

Yes Teslas can kill the occupants and catch fire, depending on the circumstances, and if/when used/driven inappropriately. We have known that since 2013/2014.

But this is the stock thread, and these fires have NO EFFECT ON THE STOCK. PLEASE STOP GUMMING UP THE THREAD BY POSTING ABOUT CARS ON FIRE, TECHNIQUES FOR BREAKING GLASS, NEW LINKS TO OLD OR SAME NEWS, ETC. ETC. PLEASE