Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Market cap is $307Billion following the climb in AH... much higher than JP Morgan which fell today. How's that $275 price target workin' for ya?

List of largest companies:
Apple
Microsoft
Amazon
Alphabet
Facebook
Alibaba
Berkshire H
Visa
J&J
Walmart
TSMC
Procter & Gamble
Mastercard
TESLA

When TSLA reaches $2020 per share, it's Market Cap will be over that currently of WMT (Walmart, Inc) which is currently ranked #10 on the S&P 500 list of largest Companies in America.

So, do we get there first, or does the S&P Committee? ;)

Cheers!

EU open.jpg

To drop or not to drop... that is the question. Will TSLA drop back near $1000 after the current run-up, or is the run-up fueled by more than short covering and S&P front-running?

How about a third possibility? -- shorts and S&P are driving the run-up now, but other catalysts will replace them soon.

Index funds will be forced to buy TSLA at any price after S&P 500 inclusion, so the height of the run-up will depend on when current longs get unnerved by it and sell. If they HODL long enough, other catalysts will appear, such as:

1) new factory announcements and Shanghai/Berlin progress

2) Q3 production and delivery report (Sept 2-3), likely a record-breaker

3) Battery/Shareholder Day (Sept 22), which Elon said will be "mind-blowing"

4) maybe new product reveals at Battery day: Plaid S/X? Roadster 2?

5) Q3 earnings report (late Sept), likely another record-breaker

Barring disaster (earthquake, terrorism), #1-5 seem enough to keep the stock pretty high. But there is one more whopper of a catalyst in which few people seem to believe, even though Elon has been adamant that it is coming by year-end.

Personally, I believe Elon. Yes I know he has been too optimistic before, but every day of his team's progress brings him more information on which to base his estimates, and he learns from his mistakes.

So here is my advice to skittish longs who want to run with the money when they see TSLA galloping upward:

Shall we add some record Nurburgring laps between 1 & 2? Is it still planned?

To drop or not to drop... that is the question. Will TSLA drop back near $1000 after the current run-up, or is the run-up fueled by more than short covering and S&P front-running?

How about a third possibility? -- shorts and S&P are driving the run-up now, but other catalysts will replace them soon.

Index funds will be forced to buy TSLA at any price after S&P 500 inclusion, so the height of the run-up will depend on when current longs get unnerved by it and sell. If they HODL long enough, other catalysts will appear, such as:

1) new factory announcements and Shanghai/Berlin progress

2) Q3 production and delivery report (Sept 2-3), likely a record-breaker

3) Battery/Shareholder Day (Sept 22), which Elon said will be "mind-blowing"

4) maybe new product reveals at Battery day: Plaid S/X? Roadster 2?

5) Q3 earnings report (late Sept), likely another record-breaker

Barring disaster (earthquake, terrorism), #1-5 seem enough to keep the stock pretty high. But there is one more whopper of a catalyst in which few people seem to believe, even though Elon has been adamant that it is coming by year-end.

Personally, I believe Elon. Yes I know he has been too optimistic before, but every day of his team's progress brings him more information on which to base his estimates, and he learns from his mistakes.

So here is my advice to skittish longs who want to run with the money when they see TSLA galloping upward:

I was starting to think about when Elon might exercise these options. Is there a waiting period to exercise them? (I know once he exercises them he can't sell the shares for at least 5 years.)
The terms of the 2018 CEO Compensation plan are pretty specific. There's a long, detailed section in the PDF version, I think it may have been in the 10-K so I'd start by finding that and reading there.

He could "help" the S&P500 liquidity issue, a tiny bit, by selling some of his existing shares to cover taxes and the cost to exercise the options. But then I was thinking he might not want to incur a large amount of taxes until he moves out of California and can avoid the state taxes. (He has already started that process by selling his California houses.)

Thoughts?

Lol. Thoughts:
  • Elon has little motivation to help the S&P Committee. Or Moody's. Or CNBC. :p
  • Elon can't sell for 5-yrs after the equity grant vests. He'll be a Texan long before that day arrives. ;)
  • Elon borrows against his stock to fund his living expenses. I'd do the same to execute Stock Options. :D
Cheers!

Last edited:
That's surprisingly low volume for such a large gain. Not many seem to want to sell ahead of earnings.
Exactly my take. Notice how high the 'naked shorting' was at the 64th percentile? Shareholders aren't selling, plus very few are lending their shares. Enough of an effect that MMs had trouble locating 'borrows' today, hence the uptick in their 'naked' short selling ( shh, don't tell @Singuy ). And this was on a day with remarkably LOW shorting, but MMs STILL couldn't locate shares to short...

Hoohoo, this is gonna get big, fast... :D

Berlin/Tradegate: 1.469,00 Euro is $1,680.84 USD

NASDAQ Pre-Market High: $1,694.49 (04:18:31 AM EDT)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Blimey, missed yesterday's fun a bit as I was at a friend's having a serious beer-drinking session...

I wanted to buy a couple of weeklies at the beginning of the session, but decided it would gap up quickly, so spent my remaining cash on 10 trading shares at $1514 in pre-market. That turned out OK!

What's the plan from here, chaps, skip the 1700's altogether?

Last edited:
  • Elon can't sell for 5-yrs after the equity grant vests. He'll be a Texan long before that day arrives. ;)
  • Elon borrows against his stock to fund his living expenses. I'd do the same to execute Stock Options. :D

My understanding was that taxes would be payable at execution. ie the cashless exercising option 1 in the agreement with taxes and the exercise amount being paid for in sold shares as part of the transaction:

Exercise Methods:
1. Cashless: sufficient shares to cover exercise prices and taxes are simultaneously sold upon exercise of options; and
2. Cash: exercise price is paid in cash upon exercise of options
https://tesla.gcs-web.com/static-files/55362f0a-ee8a-4fcc-ba11-cc09194974b6

Once exercised he then can't sell the shares for 5 years. However I agree with you that he would probably borrow against his shares and go with option 2.

The new 33k Euro 500e with 199 mile WLTP range and these two made in Italy Jeep PHEVs are Fiats plan to reduce their corporate European CO2 emissions and therefore reduce pooling payments to Tesla.

Wow, 199 WLTP? For (E) 33k? What's that in real mileage, something like 160? $37.7k for 160 mile range?

That's... real bad. Dunno how they're going to actually sell enough to offset their fleet. I think they'll still be buying as many credits as they can from Tesla for a long, long time.