Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally have three friends who are waiting to pull the trigger at post-split prices. Yeah, I know....

I also have two friends that invest (but they're forever taking 10% gains...), they would like to be in $TSLA, but SP is too high. The one guy bought some at $900 and sold $1350, the other guy I persuaded to buy a June 22 c3500, which is now 50% for him and he's desperate to sell it.

Been a bull since 2013, and I got to say this market is ridiculous

I have been saying this for years. It is just soooooooooo(!) nice, that for once, "ridiculous" plays in our favor ;-)

And don't worry, once all Robin Hood hopefuls are on board, once all the shorts have covered and all the index funds have bought their shares, we will find out what Mr. Market really thinks about TSLA...

Been a bull since 2013, and I got to say this market is ridiculous

Yes I am starting to agree. I guess the SP now is still overvalued less than the SP was undervalued last year, and therefore within its natural variance :)

I will be taking some profits today because I have just bought a house! I will be paying cash by selling 15% of my Tesla shares. I will sell another 5% if we go above $2,500 over the next few months to help pay next years large capital gains tax bill.

The rest I will hold long term.

I am starting to ask myself why I bother going to work every morning...

Yes I am starting to agree. I guess the SP now is still overvalued less than the SP was undervalued last year, and therefore within its natural variance :)

I will be taking some profits today because I have just bought a house! I will be paying cash by selling 15% of my Tesla shares. I will sell another 5% if we go above $2,500 over the next few months to help pay next years large capital gains tax bill.

The rest I will hold long term.

I am starting to ask myself why I bother going to work every morning...

We might see $2500 by friday. ;-) Dont want to wait a few more days before offloading?

Apple seem to have 10 red days after eavh of their 4 splits. Soo, if you sell end of week, you have the option to see if you can buy in lower or keep the profit for downpayment on your house/tax.

Last edited:
We might see $2500 by friday. ;-) Dont want to wait a few more days offloading?

I know, its so tempting! I actually started offloading in small numbers at $1,800. I have now sold 3.5% of my holdings between $1,800 and $2,100, so I am hedging my bets a little. Its the same thing I did when buying into Tesla. I bought little and often rather than big buys at a certain price point.

So yes I won't sell all 15% today, but if it stays over $2,100 today then I will probably sell around 2-3%.

In the back of my mind I am thinking that battery day could show some new revolutionary technology way beyond Tesla making their own batteries using dry anodes. I dont 100% believe that the Tesla Roadster will simply have a double layer of batteries to get 1,000km of range, that sounds inelegant and heavy. If battery day is completely revolutionary then the sky really is the limit, we could see $5,000 this year.

We might see $2500 by friday. ;-) Dont want to wait a few more days before offloading?

Apple seem to have 10 red days after eavh of their 4 splits. Soo, if you sell end of week, you have the option to see if you can buy in lower or keep the profit for downpayment on your house/tax.

Are you estimating that Tesla will see a similar trend with a wave of red days from next week?

Reactions: LN1_Casey
I've talked to a few people who say they're going to buy once the share price is post split. Retail investors, but I've been harping on them to buy in since March of last year, and only now with the post split are they seemingly interested.

So who says Splitting the stock doesn't do anything? It's psychological. They saw the shares go to $2k, and now think it's cheap when it's split into 5. :eek:

I've talked to a few people who say they're going to buy once the share price is post split. Retail investors, but I've been harping on them to buy in since March of last year, and only now with the post split are they seemingly interested.

So who says Splitting the stock doesn't do anything? It's psychological. They saw the shares go to $2k, and now think it's cheap when it's split into 5. :eek:

Its not cheap its Affordable.

There was a baboon telling people on Reddit that he is waiting to buy until the stock splits, as he'd rather have 5 shares than 1 share

I know, its so tempting! I actually started offloading in small numbers at $1,800. I have now sold 3.5% of my holdings between $1,800 and $2,100, so I am hedging my bets a little. Its the same thing I did when buying into Tesla. I bought little and often rather than big buys at a certain price point.

So yes I won't sell all 15% today, but if it stays over $2,100 today then I will probably sell around 2-3%.

In the back of my mind I am thinking that battery day could show some new revolutionary technology way beyond Tesla making their own batteries using dry anodes. I dont 100% believe that the Tesla Roadster will simply have a double layer of batteries to get 1,000km of range, that sounds inelegant and heavy. If battery day is completely revolutionary then the sky really is the limit, we could see $5,000 this year.

Totally agree. Smart thing to sell gradually.

I bought call options before ER - waiting for the climb.. but the climb from 16xx got here too late for my calls. So, just holding stock. :) Timing is hard, calls can loose value quick even when you get the direction correct.

Reactions: cricketman
What about the large number of calls arround 2090-2110. Over 50 000 in total, largest I've seen in a long time.

upload_2020-8-24_12-45-6.png

Anyone with thoughts?

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-24_12-44-15.png
    upload_2020-8-24_12-44-15.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 46
  • upload_2020-8-24_12-44-22.png
    upload_2020-8-24_12-44-22.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 41
Nice "upgrade" to start our Monday & week! :D

"--Analyst Actions: Wedbush Lifts Tesla's Bull Case PT to $3,500 From $2,500 on China Demand, Battery Potential; Neutral Rating, $1,900 Base PT Kept
MT NEWSWIRES 3:29 AM ET 8/24/2020
06:29 AM EDT, 08/24/2020 (MT Newswires) -- (MT Newswires covers equity, commodity and economic research from major banks and research firms in North America, Asia and Europe. Research providers may contact us here: Contact Us - MT Newswires)

Price: 2,107.00, Change: +57.02, Percent Change: +2.78"

Looks like we shall be up over 50% in only NINE trading sessions! My left brain is arguing I should take some off the table and buy back-in later at a lower price, but my right brain wants to just let it ride. I'm ambidextrous so neither hemisphere dominates. Thus, I am at an impasse and will do nothing. Our Roth IRA shares are destined to be inherited tax-free someday anyway, so we have a (hopefully) long time horizon.

My Roadster II PT is $3,000 per original share or $600 per split share, as long as we're trading at or above these levels when that vehicle is available. I'm happy to wait until the "reservation holders" take the early production to get a hopefully more mature vehicle! Been there and done that with Model X #417 which took 2-3 months to build (January data plate delivered at Factory [my photo here] on 3/22/2016). And no, I won't sell any stock to pay cash, since auto loan interest rates are so low...

SF Bay Area weather update: I heard NO thunder thus NO dry lightning strikes anywhere near Tesla Factory as far as I can tell, so no new fires. Sorry $TSLAQ. -Not! :rolleyes:

"Something Else That Can Only Happen In America" [unfortunately]

upload_2020-8-24_4-2-50.png

I stopped going to Walmart a long time ago because the fake "greetings" at the front door felt creepy to me.

Last edited:
What about the large number of calls arround 2090-2110. Over 50 000 in total, largest I've seen in a long time.

View attachment 580038

Anyone with thoughts?

Thats a huge open call interest spike..

However, last week started with a maximum pain at 1790 I think? and still sp closed 2050..

soo.. :) I expect a dynamic and interesting week with lots of ups and some smaler downs.

I also have two friends that invest (but they're forever taking 10% gains...), they would like to be in $TSLA, but SP is too high. The one guy bought some at $900 and sold $1350, the other guy I persuaded to buy a June 22 c3500, which is now 50% for him and he's desperate to sell it.

I don't think the Jun'22s are good value atm. Unless he's playing the short term, I can't blame him for selling.

I think the stock is better value than the Jun'22s atm. Only reason I haven't sold mine yet is because I expect near term upside.

Reactions: juanmedina