Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Battery Day will be the most exciting day in Tesla history, including FSD? If so, that's a BFD.

Elon keeps cutting his own battery comments short so he "doesn't spoil battery day news." So it's likely something that we have not heard exactly. I do believe it will be a BFD. He also announced today he will share more on the Berlin Factory process - also a FBD.

My take, (and this is not new), is that the numbers will be astounding like cost parity with ICE vehicles or even Jets, but the market might be disappointed if it's got value over time vs Q3 or Q4 this year. Especially since being crystal clear that profits are all that matter on Wall Street. A story like a Roadrunner high-capacity battery process, and that proliferated to other factories quickly, save the environment, and costs... should give us a bump in SP. I've been more concerned about after Battery Day. Cramer did actually mention to Rob recently that "you might want to sell then" almost like a buy the way... But then Q3 P&D could be impressive and that's about 10 days later. Meanwhile, the stock rockets and dives 3 more times before then, right?

Reactions: mad474 and Paul_SF
The TSX (Toronto) is also closed on Labour Day. It wouldn't be unprecedentedfor European exchange's to halt trading on TL.0 on Monday, given After-hrs news.

Not saying the announcement will come on Friday, but if for some reason the S&P Committee decided that was the best time, conflicting trading hours across continents would be among their lesser worries. ;)

Cheers!

You may be right. But let's keep in mind that additions and subtractions to the S&P 500 could involve more companies than Tesla.

The game today is to keep $TSLA as low as possible without triggering the rule again.
As discussed previously, some hedgies WANT the Uptick Rule to be in effect. It eliminates much of their competition, and doesn't restrict their shorting activities at all. But only the largest funds and Options MMs are allowed to play.

#$EC

Is there ANY alternative to the SEC to turn to? FBI maybe?

White-Collar Crime — FBI

The FBI’s corporate fraud investigations primarily focus on the following activities:
Falsification of financial information
  • False accounting entries and/or misrepresentations of financial condition;
  • Fraudulent trades designed to inflate profits or hide losses; and
  • Illicit transactions designed to evade regulatory oversight.
  • Self-dealing by corporate insiders
  • Insider trading (trading based on material, non-public information);
    Kickbacks;
  • Misuse of corporate property for personal gain; and
  • Individual tax violations related to self-dealing.
Fraud in connection with an otherwise legitimately operated mutual hedge fund
  • Late trading;
  • Certain market timing schemes; and
  • Falsification of net asset values.

Probably worse than the false reporting on Tesla by the mainstream media - the false reporting that laws are being upheld and criminals are being punished. How to remedy this situation is an open question. Scan these articles to get an idea of what is going on, mentioning these w/o endorsing them, one has to decide for oneself.
Whistleblower Harry Markopolos Says the SEC Hasn’t Paid Him for His Work
About
Top Men at Justice Department with Final Say on Goldman Sachs Felony Charges Got Big Payouts from Kirkland & Ellis – Goldman’s Law Firm

The TSX (Toronto) is also closed on Labour Day. It wouldn't be unprecedentedfor European exchange's to halt trading on TL.0 on Monday, given After-hrs news.

Not saying the announcement will come on Friday, but if for some reason the S&P Committee decided that was the best time, conflicting trading hours across continents would be among their lesser worries. ;)

Cheers!
I don't have a reputation that really matters here, so I'll say it: The S&P announcement will come Friday after close (Read directly from my crystal ball). And if not, something else will happen that's great over the weekend - as usual. It's an innovation machine.

Hey, remember last year, Elon mentioned how Q1/Q2 would be challenging, but Q3/Q4 :rolleyes:. Macro aside, it's all still looking like a clear road ahead.

Why, oh why, in this day and age does a 401K fund only do rollovers by paper check to me (rather than the new fund/broker), requiring me to then mail it and the funds to "clear"... a process that will take the better part of two weeks??

A few months ago I rolled some funds from my 401k to my self directed IRA. I asked that my check go directly to Schwab, but my HR department said their experience is that the check gets lost somewhere in the brokerage system and it often takes weeks to sort out. I was assured it’s much faster to mail the check to me directly so I could walk it in and deposit it. Only problem was that all Schwab offices were closed due to Covid. I then tried mobile deposit, but the check was too large. Sigh. I ended up overnighting it to Schwab’s processing operation in Texas where they received and deposited it the next day.

Reminder for everyone to look under all the rocks in times like these.

I have an old UK pension account with a small amount of equity (30k british pounds) that has been in whatever Scottish Widows - the pension administrator chose for me back in 2010. It has been growing, but not a lot..

Today, I took the time to understand how to change my investments, and in the process I discovered that you cannot directly put your equity into a single stock. So I had to go through many prospectuses and managed to find a single fund, the SW Baillie Gifford North American Equity that has 8% of stake in Tesla, amongst Amazon, Wayfair, Shopify, Netflix, Alphabet, etc.).

Moved 100% of the pension to said fund. Expecting slightly more growth than the annual couple % I've been getting....

20 minutes of effort.

Hey, I did the same. I have a "Pensions saving plan" - €150 per month since 2004, used to be Skandia, got bought by Old Mutual, now they renamed themselves Quilter (stupid sounding name). Anyway, I got a letter saying that they were reviewing their funds and the one I was in, was being stopped as it was not providing returns or too expensive - I can agree with that the value of this fund is about the same as the money I've paid in, so effectively less if you take into account inflation.

After searching through the various funds I could switch to, I found one that has the FAANG and Tesla, and have instructed to switch.

Pretty annoyed that I was never aware of this option in the past :mad:

So yes, this a recommendation to all holders of managed pension funds - ask the question!

upload_2020-9-4_7-40-50.png

Can anyone explain this re Norway. The e-Tron? (It was posted here today, this story for reference.)

"The most popular electric cars were the Audi e-tron, the Mercedes EQC 400 and the VW e-Golf. The newcomer Polestar 2 follows in fourth place. The Tesla Model 3, on the other hand, is not very well received by the Norwegians and lands in ninth place for new registrations in August. Here Model Y should only bring an upswing again. The market entry of the VW ID.3 will be exciting in September. We expect strong numbers in Norway and the Polestar 2 should continue to enjoy great popularity."

Can anyone explain this re Norway. The e-Tron? (It was posted here today, this story for reference.)

"The most popular electric cars were the Audi e-tron, the Mercedes EQC 400 and the VW e-Golf. The newcomer Polestar 2 follows in fourth place. The Tesla Model 3, on the other hand, is not very well received by the Norwegians and lands in ninth place for new registrations in August. Here Model Y should only bring an upswing again. The market entry of the VW ID.3 will be exciting in September. We expect strong numbers in Norway and the Polestar 2 should continue to enjoy great popularity."
FUD

Edit: this was an inappropriate reply on my part as it didn't actually help with anything. I have a better response a few posts down describing how deliveries in europe work and are done in batches so a few months with no deliveries and then a massive month.

I am sorry for the way this post landed. It was rude and not at all helpful.

Last edited:
The trouble with annoucing after the Close on Thursday is that the Quarterly Rebalancing weights are determined by Closing SPs of all S&P components as of tomorrow's Close, Fri Sep 04, 2020.

I think that's one of the motivations for the big push down we're seeing right now. Every hundredth's of a point off of TSLA's weight means a few billion $$ of TSLA that don't need to be purchased by Index Funds by Sep 18th.

Cheers!

I'm sorry this seems too conspiratorial - almost paranoid. These Index Funds are passive investors all they care about is minimizing their S&P 500 "tracking error". How do 3rd party whale investors benefit from orchestrating a "big push down" to "help" the Index Funds have to buy less TSLA? If an S&P indexer buys all their TSLA on the first day it is actually in the index and helps shoot TSLA's price into orbit, that will also spike the S&P index a bit. As long as the indexer's allocation is correct on the first day, they will track that spike and be okay. If TSLA goes down post-add, they are still tracking S&P 500 just fine thank you. I think for index funds it is more of a challenge not to lose too much on the stocks they have to dump that were tossed out of the S&P 500. They need that money plus funds from reduced allocations of continuing names to buy their TSLA and whatever else the secret committee decides to add.

The stock price was like a Falcon 9 rocket and launched to $500 per share so there was a lot of smart "profit-taking". Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the "smart" ones. I've never been good at trying to time the market. Therefore, I am a buy-and-hold-forever-my-son-will-inherit-at-a-stepped-up-cost-basis investor. That said, my "gut" instinct told me that $500 a "new cheap" share was a good price to cash in our tax-free accounts and buy more shares than before later on. I just didn't act on it because of S&P 500, Battery Day, P&D, and Q3. I guess it was a case of "pigs get slaughtered"! (*)

(*) "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered" is an old Wall Street saying that warns investors against excessive greed.

when someone signs your salary or commission checks. Or you collect a fee from someone else.
What, no self employed here?
It's starting to feel professional, along with the new salary. Lots of studying, and I even write about it, with 2 followers (I think).
There is no way I'd make people pay me for advice. Doesn't everyone have one already?