Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you claiming full self driving could be delivered this or next quarter? Or just that some features of the FSD product (like advanced summon), will be delivered?

Wow these days really do bring out some interesting guests. Anton, while you are here, could you clear up a legitimate question I have? You write so many FUD articles on TSLA that I have wondered if you yourself believe the things you write about. What is your motivation for writing these articles non stop? Do you receive incentive payments from outside interests? Why else would someone do this?

What do you mean redirecting the final month's model 3 production to the U.S again? How will that make up for the lost revenue from initial batch of shipments?

The point of carefully scheduling and routing production within the quarter is to avoid the "lost revenue": if they are making cars for Europe and China in January and February and are putting those cars on ships, then the vast majority of the cars have time to reach their destination, be delivered and recognized as revenue - it's a matter of timing a cut-off when they switch over to U.S. production.

I edited my post with a production schedule - the various phases might shift by ~1 week but I think it's mostly right.

Note that the Model 3 is significantly faster to deliver to Europe than the Model S/X, because there's no disassembly and re-assembly and re-qualification steps required.

On the off chance you are actually interested

Seriously... you really think FSD is coming this year?
Could happen

They still don't have their cross-country road trip. They still don't seem to have any cars testing on live roads today.
"Seem" is not reality. They had two rounds of employee vehicle purchases specifically for FSD testing. EAP v9 is likely an offshoot of the new FSD codebase.

Full autonomous driving isn't a thing where you just "flip a switch and it works." It's going to take a ton of live, real-world testing before it goes out to the masses.

Testing is needed, hence the internal Tesla test fleet. However, once completed, a software release OTA is exactly like flipping a switch,

Waymo has racked up millions of autonomous miles. Why hasn't Tesla?
Tesla has over a billion autopilot miles.

I suspect the experts at CES are right, and level 4 autonomous driving is still at least ~5 years away.
You call what you believe

All they need to do is drive the route a few dozen times for the FSD it "learn" the route detail while running in the background. I assume this will happen in the spring.
That is not at all how FSD learning happens. However, hints for map tiles could work that way.

dudes, here's my take on the lay-off and statement from tesla:
1. without the news, I expected the price to come down anyway. of course, i am talking about short-term. now it is coming down in a hurry.
2. letting about 3000 contractors/temp worker go further confirms the production issue is over and quite likely the productivity has been improving. elon does it now probably in considering the holiday season. in other words, this move is not out of desperation, rather it's inevitable but flexible.
3. the q4 profit down from q3 is not good news for sure. the reason is more important. is it because of margin reduction? increase cost in r&d, logistics, service etc? much lower asp? based on the p&d numbers, the cash flow will be good. if the lower profit is due mainly to r&d, logistics and service expansion, i would add another giant thumb up for elon. this is the way to go. i would love to hear that andrej's team is expanding wildly and development team for Y and truck is also expanding.
4. stock price will not stop here in my opinion. testing 300 is almost certain to happen in the following couple of weeks. i actually wired some cash to trading accounts to get ready for this.
5. this didn't change anything for the long-term prospect. this is just a wild SP short term event. play the short-term volatility with care and know the risks.
Oops, testing 300 happened today. bought some stocks. expecting it to go down further. plan to get calls when it does that.

Interesting thought... wouldn't he prefer to pay in stock and use cash to grow faster? But if he could pay in cash AND still have a slight profit, that's still good news for the outlook. My guess is as much in stock but still keep the Q1 profitable (but tiny IOW).

Bloomberg thinking it's going to be a mix.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I'm sticking with my theory so that stock is highest in March. Can he pay it early?

Despite the $700 million in bonds due in March, Elon anticipating a profit is quite bullish to me. This is not to mention we’ll be heavily invested in the China GF.

At this point I’m not sure if “growing fast” is a good idea. There are still logistics that needs to be ironed out.. don’t get me wrong, I’m still anticiapting 40% plus growth for 2019, but not by March. Going from 5,000 to 7,000 will likely take 5-6 months, then 8,000-10,000 by end of year will be a win in my books. Even with all that money available for expansion, you still have to produce the robots, train employees; unfortunately, the learning curve for new hires will slow down that growth potential.

Reactions: neroden
Seriously... you really think FSD is coming this year?

They still don't have their cross-country road trip. They still don't seem to have any cars testing on live roads today.

Full autonomous driving isn't a thing where you just "flip a switch and it works." It's going to take a ton of live, real-world testing before it goes out to the masses.

Waymo has racked up millions of autonomous miles. Why hasn't Tesla?

I suspect the experts at CES are right, and level 4 autonomous driving is still at least ~5 years away.
I, more or less, actually agree with you here. But you had to trot out Waymo-we-still-don't-have-autonomy-even-after-our-go-live-for-autonomy-service

If you want to be taken seriously about FSD you'll at least need to NOT demonstrate you are uninformed on the subject.

How's that saying go, "better to be silent and thought a fool than open one's mouth and prove them right"?

Didn’t they also pay off some debt in Q4? That wouldn’t affect profits but would impact cash flow.

Indeed you are right, I forgot about that.

Instead of these imperfect ad-hoc estimates I'll defer to @ReflexFund's updated estimates which he provided today - the new numbers are Q4 profits of $177m and free cash flow of $990m:

I agree, lower Q4 profit was likely due to a combination of:
  1. Higher MR/lower AWD model 3 sales mix leading to lower ASP and lower Model 3 gross margins.
  2. Larger impact from S/X price cuts in China
  3. No ZEV credit income
  4. Larger expansion of SG&A and R&D (possibly accelerating hiring in China?)
  5. Lower price per GHG regulatory credit sales
  6. Possibly higher base model 3 production cost than forecast.
  7. Higher service business losses.
  8. Stock comp
Q4 cash flow should still be up on Q3.

I now have Q4 net income $177m. EBITDA $890m. Free cash flow $990m. Increase in cash balance $684m.

Two wildcards I mentioned earlier are probably out of play for Q4:
  • Tesla probably didn't squander their sizeable ZEV stockpile in Q4 (it might be a good rainy day fund starting end of next year when Trump will probably lose the election),
  • They probably didn't recognize deferred revenue for the Autopilot milestones they reached in Q4
The payables factor is still a wildcard and could improve (or worsen) free cash flow in Q4.

Why did Elon say at the last CC that they should be profitable every quarter except maybe when they had a big debt repayment when thry would be flat?

He didn't say that, it's misquoted.

Here's what he said in the August 1 conference call, exactly:

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.:

"I feel comfortable achieving a GAAP income positive and cash flow positive quarter every quarter from here on out. That's a – there may be occasional quarters, where we pay back a big loan or something, where there may be just because we paid back a big loan. But absent that, it would be cash flow positive."​

He basically qualified the cash flow positive statement with "except if we pay back a big loan" - because debt repayments decrease cash flow, but not profits. (Taking the loan didn't directly increase profits either so that's fair.)

Last edited:
Regarding the deletion of 75D from S/X:

Since I was planning on leasing a MS 75D to replace my current lease in May, this deletion has put me into a bit of a dilemma...I could get a (inventory) 75D configured as I want it now (delivery April) or just order a 100D later (when ??? happens).

Spoke with a Tesla sales guy here today and he confirms that that the reason they got rid of the 75D is to increase the price gap between the 3 and S/X.
FWIW he didn’t think there would be a price reduction on the 100D (but then he’s a sales guy.....)

Didn’t help with my dilemma, but interesting data point anyways...

Back to Tesla & China... I think it will take at least 5 years from when China enters the radar screen in existing major markets for the majority of consumers to be open to their products.
Geely's moving in on foreign markets (probably hit them in 2020-2021) and owns a bunch of well-known foreign brand names. 'Nuff said.

China has to switch to long range EVs,
Happened already.

and has to breakthrough current non-starter status currently for consumers in major markets outside China
See Geely's method. I suppose the other companies will find it harder.

"every quarter, from here on out.”

“There may be occasional quarters where we pay back a big loan or something,”
How about we quote the whole thing:
“I really want to emphasize our goal is to be profitable and cash-flow positive for every quarter, going forward.”

“I feel comfortable achieving a GAAP income positive and cash flow positive quarter every quarter from here on out. That’s a -- there may be occasional quarters, where we pay back a big loan or something, where there may be just because we paid back a big loan. But absent that, it would be cash flow positive.”

Now, if you know accounting when he talks about the occasional quarter where they paid back a big loan he is not talking about that payback affecting GAAP income. It is affecting the 'cash flow positive' portion of his statement.

Agreed. Let's not forget his letter to employees right before the end of Q3 where he talked about how they were struggling to try to turn their first sustainable profit: "“We are very close to achieving profitability and proving the naysayers wrong, but, to be certain, we must execute really well tomorrow (Sunday)"

Of course, they didn't just eke out a profit thanks to some one-day push; they blew it entirely out of the water.
It does sound an awful lot like that letter, doesn't it. Letters to employees have a particular bias to them... "the company needs you to work extra hard right now!"

The other thing: we were *just talking* about how Wall Street analysts artificially raised expectations to very high levels just before earnings or deliveries, and then announced a "miss" (of their bizarre and artificially high expectations). By talking down the expectations, Musk helps prevent this behavior on earnings day. But he didn't give any specific numbers, so nobody can accuse him of lying or manipulating.

How is Tesla going to keep the SP over $360 for twenty days straight? Not trolling, but it doesn’t seem possible at this point? Unless Elon has something up his sleeve?
Musk stated a while back that they were just going to pay off the convertible bonds. I took him at his word. I expect them to do so.