Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take is that there is not going to be a SR, but rather that Tesla will bring the MR in that price range by incremental improvements. But, with sustained demand and weak competition, they are not in a hurry to do so (hence the shifting timeline).

I agree with this, if the MR became the SR, then that blows the competition (is there any) totally into the weeds.

Selling the 35k$ right now would likely lead to 3k$ to 5k$ operating losses per unit. In pretty much no scenario does it lead to substantial profits while putting a substantially inferior version of the car on the road compared to an MR and PUP and EAP model which only costs about 3k$ more to build. Far better imo to stick with 40k$+ configs and keep volume high by lowering prices for all configurations. If you put aside the 35k$ promise, this is essentially what they have been doing. And it also fits with their prioritization on minimizing total configurations built.

All they have to do is weasel out of the 35k$ entry by pointing at tax break and/or offering a deal to those that were on reservation list only.

Under no scenario do they sell a 35k$ option with even more than what was originally claimed for it. It simply costs too much.

Yes. Have you ever heard me talk about it before?

That doesn't mean that if specifically challenged on the issue in a discussion specifically on the topic I'm not going to respond.

But I've been trying to avoid talking about this topic again and generally been ignoring replies on the topic, for the sake of this forum, so let's please not bring it back up.

You see, that's way it's not good to turn bear- it makes you uptight.

On a serious note- as I stated yesterday- highly controversial topics are better left away from investing and don't get attached to brands.
It's not a coincidence that Musk brothers, while making big leaps on controversial issues, don't promote it by shaming the "opposite party". People (knowingly or unknowingly) simply join their cause by choosing a superior product.

The last couple of pages or so, just showed why their approach is good.

Selling the 35k$ right now would likely lead to 3k$ to 5k$ operating losses per unit. In pretty much no scenario does it lead to substantial profits while putting a substantially inferior version of the car on the road compared to an MR and PUP and EAP model which only costs about 3k$ more to build. Far better imo to stick with 40k$+ configs and keep volume high by lowering prices for all configurations. If you put aside the 35k$ promise, this is essentially what they have been doing. And it also fits with their prioritization on minimizing total configurations built.

All they have to do is weasel out of the 35k$ entry by pointing at tax break and/or offering a deal to those that were on reservation list only.

Under no scenario do they sell a 35k$ option with even more than what was originally claimed for it. It simply costs too much.

I think they absolutely have to come with a $35k model before any incentives are applied. If they don't do this then all trust is lost going forwards.

For what i's worth, Bloomberg tracker now >200k cars and weekly nearly back to 5.5k

upload_2019-2-19_11-53-20.png

Last edited:
It is quite possible that MR and above keep premium interior exclusively for some time and SR has the standard interior exclusively for some time. This would force some SR waiters to upgrade. Q2 could look like:

April
100% MR and above to Europe

May
100% MR and above to China/Europe

June
50% MR and above to US
50% SR with standard interior to US

• Informative
Reactions: Carl Raymond
I think they absolutely have to come with a $35k model before any incentives are applied. If they don't do this then all trust is lost going forwards.

They can potentially pull it off if they make all such cars come from China, but otherwise you are talking about a situation where for the 35k$ to 38k$ price range Tesla is selling 100k units a year and losing a couple hundred million doing so while building something far more utilitarian than usual Tesla brand standards. If they get reservation holders a satisfactory deal I think it is fine.

It's the obvious thing to do. I simply don't remember a more definite confirmation for that other than Jack.

~90% of the production at that plant goes for export btw.
Yes all the more reason for packing up, they were only here to avoid Euro levy, I understand that there were approx 350 truckloads of parts coming in from Europe every day( sounds horrendous) and so makes you wonder how it was ever practical/ economical. I see that the Turkish plant is also more than likely going, another Eu fudge (sorry it has to be said) of being in the customs union but not in the EU .

They can potentially pull it off if they make all such cars come from China, but otherwise you are talking about a situation where for the 35k$ to 38k$ price range Tesla is selling 100k units a year and losing a couple hundred million doing so while building something far more utilitarian than usual Tesla brand standards. If they get reservation holders a satisfactory deal I think it is fine.

I disagree with all aspects of this.

Tesla's margins - with PUP included and using a mix of MR and LR packs - were over 20% on an ASP of probably around $54k. So the production cost was around $44k or so. Negating the cells in the MR/LR mix, the cost of PUP, the cost of dual motors, and all other options, brings you down to under $40k. Remember that this was before laying off 7% of the workforce. Now factor in two quarters of margin improvement on top of that, both at Fremont and Giga (even raw material prices are helping out by falling precipitously from last year's spike). It seems obvious that they're going to get to production costs of under $35k for the base version. At Fremont.

Secondly, almost nobody buys a completely unoptioned car. Remember that even paint colours other than black are options. I'm sure they'll sell some $35k cars, but not many. Most people will add at least one option, even if they get SR non-PUP. And options are mostly profit.

Third, the SR non-PUP cars will still be fully "Tesla DNA". The app, the screen, the same performance as the MR and LR-RWD, the handling, the battery tech, and on and on and on - all the same. And it's not like they're going to replace the sound system with computer speakers and replace the seats with plastic beach chairs; it's still going to be an excellent car.

Tesla 10-k out today on their IR website. I didn't see anything noteworthy at a quick glance, other than confirmation of eventually still aiming to introduce the $35,000 Model 3. I expect the media will be full of out-of-context quotes from the risks section though - that usually happens!

Yeah, the shorts love picking through these things for negative things to spin out of context. 10-Ks are bear fodder.

Saw on Twitter fud: data leaked from Tesla's website (inventory match flag), the current inventory is about 8500 cars still waiting on parking lots.
That's about (or less than) 2 weeks of production. Not that bad isn't it?
But it also shows how inventory growed end of December, so sales definitely took a hit (but one could also assume that those cars were put on botes)

Kind of curious about this as well. Here is the thread for those interested. Agree it doesn’t seem too bad, but also seems less than ideal if it’s accurate.

Jake F on Twitter