Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A private Tesla looking better by the second and it looked awesome last year. That’s what I’m asking Santa for, sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Larry has already called his accountant(s)......and then called EM: Larry:'Hi Elon, it is time'.

EDIT: I would like more but will probably have to settle for $400/share

Per Elon

SEC forgot to read Tesla earnings transcript, which clearly states 350k to 500k. How embarrassing …

1f917.svg

L
Twitter

Let’s stop the speculation and cut right down to it:

1.) Does it is just take a judge to agree?

2.) What is the actual impact to
A.) Musk
B.) Tesla
C.) Shareholders

3.) Assuming negative, is it appealable?

I think the judge has to agree, based on a clear and convincing evidence standard. Likely consequence to Musk and Tesla would be fines. Ban from acting as a director/officer for Musk is possible. Depends a lot on what the SEC decides to ask for.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mobius484
I'm sure a lot of people don't have respect for the SEC but they are smart enough not to say as much on 60 minutes.

Do you realize that the CBS "60 Minutes" quote Elon purportedly made disparaging the SEC was invented in its entirety? It was a cropped, misleading out of context quote that changed the meaning of what Elon really said. To recap:

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

60 Minutes should really not be allowed to get away with this - this was clear-cut bad-faith manipulative editing that changed this statement Elon made:

Elon Musk: "So essentially I could just pull for a shareholder vote and get anything that I want provided I could get support for at least a 1/3 of the other shareholders. At the end of the day the shareholders pull the vote."

60 Minutes cut out the section in bold, changing the nature of the statement Elon made materially.​

The only mistake Elon made was to grant "60 Minutes" an interview.

Last edited:
I think the plot is to take the company private at a lower valuation and without Saudi influence. I read about this playbook before. Another CEO did the same. Damage the brand image and then took the corp private.

Lol. Sounds like me in 2018

Yeah, it was Henry Ford in 1919. We've speculated about this possibility here on TMC before. If starlink was operational now, Elon could take Tesla private himself, without needing outside investors (though I'm sure he'd keep a few insiders).

The other interesting topic raised today was moving TSLA to a different Exchange, outside the clamy handz of the SEC. @neroden how pausible is this?

Yeah, it was Henry Ford in 1919. We've speculated about this possibility here on TMC before. If starlink was operational now, Elon could take Tesla private himself, without needing outside investors (though I'm sure he'd keep a few insiders).

The other interesting topic raised today was moving TSLA to a different Exchange, outside the clamy handz of the SEC. @neroden how pausible is this?
Not technically impossible but you would lose a lot of retail investors and some funds only buy US listed shares.

It's pretty clear that the second tweet wasn't a correction but a clarification of a misunderstood statement. Elon has made clear many times that he doesn't think in calendar month cut-offs but in moving calendar blocks (i.e. annualised production per week rather than production in a calendar year).

This exchange from the 30 Jan call shows exactly that, clarifying the earlier comment of: "Yes. Maybe in the order of 350,000 to 500,000 Model 3s, something like that this year".
Emmanuel Rosner

Okay. And, I guess, my follow-up would be on the demand side. So you're talking about 50% increase this year. You said a few times that it could be higher than this. I think you just mentioned in the previous question 350,000 to 500,000, if I understood well. So what is sort of like what drives the cautious outlook that's in your letter? Because it feels like it's the - it's just basically four times the fourth quarter run rate, which would imply sort of 50% for the full year but not really a lot of growth versus what you just accomplished. So, I guess, how do we think about the total demand for 2019, especially if you introduced this - the cheaper version?

Elon Musk

Well, we need to bring the Shanghai factory online. I think that's the biggest driver for getting to 500K plus a year.

There therefore seems at least a very reasonable case that the first tweet did not represent a material change in guidance and did not need pre-approval. Whether that is good enough for a judge, I'm not sure many of us here are qualified enough to say.

The fix for the tweeting issue of course, is that any tweet concerning Tesla in any way should be made from the corporate account (or a second corporate account with a slightly online identity). Musk can then retweet this to his 25 million followers without further comment.

What I think is almost certainly true whatever the outcome of this latest case, is that it nudges Elon back towards privatisation. Which would be very sad, not only because it would be a distraction for management. But also because of the severe undervaluation of the stock versus fundamentals, the amount of time many of us have spent to confirm this thesis, and most importantly the capital we've risked during Tesla's trickiest development phase (including during multiple capital raises, credit downgrades and missed production milestones). I don't want out at 400 or 420, I want to stay invested and support this venture for the long term.