Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks,

yes, I meant if you buy a car from the current stock that is already produced.

My car is a Dec 2018 build, and was an "Inventory" car I purchased end of April this year. It was $5,360 off the website price and had 22 km when I received it. Not sure why it had been sitting around, I simply asked my contact at the Gallery what they had in "Inventory".

I just returned from a week in rural southern Maryland. When there I go for morning walks with a woman who was best friend of my parents-in-law. One day she came out of the blue with: "Electric vehicles would be totally unsuitable for life around here." When I probed further, she still thinks they have ridiculously limited range and you have to go somewhere to charge them. Once I was outside the DC beltway I didn't see a single BEV (although quite a few Priuses). Actually a Bolt or SR+ would be a perfect car for her. The nearest (price-gouging) gas station is 5 miles away and not in a direction she would normally go in any case. Her travel is pretty much to the shops (10 miles), church (20 miles), post office daily (3 miles), and friends and family all within 50 miles. The dealership for her car is nearly 50 miles although she gets regular services a bit closer.

She then proceeded to tell me about her grandson who had been staying with her, working at stocking shelves at the local (25 miles) Target, who has twice been stranded because he forgot to fill his car and at his starting time 4am all the gas stations are closed.

I don't think I convinced her. We may move one of our Teslas there.

I do think education on EV's is still needed. I consider that separate from FUD. I think the vast majority of people out there have just yet to be educated but like in areas that have adopted EV, it only takes a few Tesla's in the wild to start the change.

Anyways, I'm dropping the subject because the debate wasn't really going anywhere and it was very clear that my views on the impact of FUD vary greatly from some others here. I don't think you guys were completely understanding what I was saying in terms of FUD, its impact, and Tesla's sales/demand but there's no real reason to continue the topic with little things like earnings upon us this week ;)

Exactly why this rhetoric of a Chinese CEO etc is a form of leverage against the US dark forces.

Agreed.
The monkey wrench in their strategy could be FSD. I also predict that we'll have FSD technology for years before congress gives in to laws that make the Tesla Network legal. Imagine the counter lobbying on that change! And we thought we had a lot of FUD today...

At some point that will be counteracted by sleeping Tesla drivers. I talked to someone yesterday that HATES autopilot but uses it every day. The problem is that it works very well, then you become complacent and then it does something REALLY stupid and down right embarrassing and sometimes even dangerous. Soulpdl told me the same thing. Everyone says that it is getting better. As a Tesla owner what would you do if there are ZERO embarrassing moment for say two month or three months. At some point will you stop paying attention? What then? Will you start falling asleep, stop looking etc. The only thing left would be that annoying Tesla beep. Humm then you would of course go to you tube and learn how to get rid of that stupid beep.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
At some point that will be counteracted by sleeping Tesla drivers. I talked to someone yesterday that HATES autopilot but uses it every day. The problem is that it works very well, then you become complacent and then it does something REALLY stupid and down right embarrassing and sometimes even dangerous. Soulpdl told me the same thing. Everyone says that it is getting better. As a Tesla owner what would you do if there are ZERO embarrassing moment for say two month or three months. At some point will you stop paying attention? What then? Will you start falling asleep, stop looking etc. The only thing left would be that annoying Tesla beep. Humm then you would of course go to you tube and learn how to get rid of that stupid beep.
It's going to be a balancing act. If people start getting lazy and the system still makes mistakes then they will implement more safety features.

Reactions: BOBTHEJOCKEY
My car is a Dec 2018 build, and was an "Inventory" car I purchased end of April this year. It was $5,360 off the website price and had 22 km when I received it. Not sure why it had been sitting around, I simply asked my contact at the Gallery what they had in "Inventory".

It was really $1,610 off since the tax credit went from $7,500 to $3,750, right?

• Love
Reactions: neroden

Does everyone remember I CAN'T DRIVE 55? Pretty soon police will stop worrying about sleeping Tesla drivers because there would be just to many of them.

I do think education on EV's is still needed. I consider that separate from FUD. I think the vast majority of people out there have just yet to be educated but like in areas that have adopted EV, it only takes a few Tesla's in the wild to start the change.

Anyways, I'm dropping the subject because the debate wasn't really going anywhere and it was very clear that my views on the impact of FUD vary greatly from some others here. I don't think you guys were completely understanding what I was saying in terms of FUD, its impact, and Tesla's sales/demand but there's no real reason to continue the topic with little things like earnings upon us this week ;)
The thing is that first you have to hear the FUD. I'll wager that most people don't know what CNBC or TESLAQ are. TMC members likely have more than the normal number of acquaintances that follow those or at least know what they are.

I just returned from a week in rural southern Maryland. When there I go for morning walks with a woman who was best friend of my parents-in-law. One day she came out of the blue with: "Electric vehicles would be totally unsuitable for life around here." When I probed further, she still thinks they have ridiculously limited range and you have to go somewhere to charge them. Once I was outside the DC beltway I didn't see a single BEV (although quite a few Priuses). Actually a Bolt or SR+ would be a perfect car for her. The nearest (price-gouging) gas station is 5 miles away and not in a direction she would normally go in any case. Her travel is pretty much to the shops (10 miles), church (20 miles), post office daily (3 miles), and friends and family all within 50 miles. The dealership for her car is nearly 50 miles although she gets regular services a bit closer.

She then proceeded to tell me about her grandson who had been staying with her, working at stocking shelves at the local (25 miles) Target, who has twice been stranded because he forgot to fill his car and at his starting time 4am all the gas stations are closed.

I don't think I convinced her. We may move one of our Teslas there.
I think those small rural communities are excellent options for EVs. I had that realization at a cabin in the mountains outside of Denver. I was charging my car easily, but knew that the nearest gas station was quite a ways away. Electricity is EVERYWHERE. Even at 110 you can sit for a couple hours and possibly make it home.

It was a good dream (I have my best right before I wake up... I think I do at least).

Actually it was more along the lines of an advanced summon, but having the car back up into a supercharger that has a nozzle which lowers (or extends) out and plugs in to an outlet behind the license plate. Could all be done automatically like the LEM attaching to the Command Module. Be a lot easier than a snake cable and nozzle.
This made me think of a stunt that would be possible (although probably not a good idea). We've probably all seen that old video of a car being towed while regen charged its battery. One could do a coast-to-coast drive without stopping by having the car equipped with a rubber rear bumper, and have other Teslas come up behind and push it to recharge with regeneration, then they'd peel off to go recharge and another volunteer would pick up the task further on.

OnT: big dump to push the stock red just now. Recently the shorts have been coordinating to begin the attack at exactly 10am (EST).

It's going to be a balancing act. If people start getting lazy and the system still makes mistakes then they will implement more safety features.

Agree

We are all in agreement that FSD keeps getting better. People die in car crashes all the time. At some point people will start to realize that their car can drive better than them and that they are SAFER if they don't pay attention. In the Bay Area lot's of people are destroying their lives by commuting 3 to 4 hours a day. At some point they will make a rational decision to GET BACK THAT LOST TIME with very minimal risk.

Agree

We are all in agreement that FSD keeps getting better. People die in car crashes all the time. At some point people will start to realize that their car can drive better than them and that they are SAFER if they don't pay attention. In the Bay Area lot's of people are destroying their lives by commuting 3 to 4 hours a day. At some point they will make a rational decision to GET BACK THAT LOST TIME with very minimal risk.
Just think about that lost productivity. If people can work even part of that commute time (or just catch up on their TV etc.) that's a crazy gain in productivity and/or quality of life.

---

It didn't take long for FSD to creep back into the discussion again. Just waiting for someone to say it will never work.. and we go down the rabbit hole again.

Let's not.

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Until such time that the car will not allow you to take over or intervene, the driver will ALWAYS be responsible. If you fall asleep, your at fault. If you become distracted by eating your lunch, you're at fault. If you are reading a book, you're at fault. If you're making out with your girlfriend, it's you're fault. You are the driver and you are responsible for everything the car does...period, end of story.

Why are people so anxious to pass off responsibility? It is a driver ASSIST feature folks, not a driver replacement feature...yet. In this roll it is amazingly adept. 6X safer than driving without, and that's now. Where will it be in 6 months or a year? An even better DRIVER ASSIST feature, not a replacement. As long as people accept this there is no problem. We all look forward to the day when true FSD is here. Whether that happens this year or next year or 5 years from now, until they flip that switch the driver in command is just that...the driver in command.

Dan

—-

Dan was likely already typing before he saw the request. Last FSD post.

Mod

FUD probably influences most those sitting on the fence.
It’s an excuse to play it safe whether it’s factual or not.
Educational ads would be very beneficial.

The added sales to cost reward has to be determined empirically,
However if tesla is production constrained, then it might be pointless

Reactions: replicant