Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New free Supercharging perk offered today as part of out-of-this-world EOQ sales push:

Tesla‏Verified account @Tesla 3h3 hours ago

"Anyone riding a UFO out of Area 51 today can recharge at our nearby Supercharger in Beatty. One day only."​

EE6cOwjXkAAv1e8.jpg

336 replies 4,310 retweets 24,699 likes

My kids are very upset about it and everyone in their class is well aware...

it depends on what part of the world you are from. When I was in Europe this summer, I noticed the Climate Change topic would come up in conversations, here in the states, not so much.

High School students here in the states talk about many things, many things that would make you shake your head, but Climate Change? Not so much.

it depends on what part of the world you are from. When I was in Europe this summer, I noticed the Climate Change topic would come up in conversations, here in the states, not so much.

High School students here in the states talk about many things, many things that would make you shake your head, but Climate Change? Not so much.

you are wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
I think it’s becoming clear that Tesla’s Q3 deliveries between 79,000 - 82,000 will fall well short of FactSet consensus of 97,000 deliveries, unfortunately. This will make it impossible for Tesla to hit low end of annual guidance at 360,000 deliveries, so we’ll likely see some sort of revision lower either with the P&D report or at earnings.

Not an advice.

I checked all my channels. It's 102K.

Might happen -- Summons next week, 1st GF3 M3 on Oct 1st for China Day

+ Not Advice

And Japan.
And South Korea.
And Taiwan.

Meanwhile, if you trust InsideEVs, the US is up QoQ. The NY data (the only actual legit state data I've seen - if anyone has more, please show it) supports the InsideEVs numbers.

EU numbers are as a whole rocking it. Even without the UK juicing the numbers. Mainly thanks to the Netherlands, but hey, sales are sales ;)

Reports on the ground in China are that sales are going crazy after the tax exemption.

I see no way in which this is not a great quarter.

Are they delivering to South Korean yet? I thought that was for Q4?

And Japan.
And South Korea.
And Taiwan.

Meanwhile, if you trust InsideEVs, the US is up QoQ. The NY data (the only actual legit state data I've seen) supports the InsideEVs numbers.

EU numbers are as a whole rocking it. Even without the UK juicing the numbers. Mainly thanks to the Netherlands, but hey, sales are sales ;)

Reports on the ground in China are that sales are going crazy after the tax exemption.

I see no way in which this is not a great quarter.
I agree. During the last three weeks I have been traveling in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and Switzerland. There are even Model 3's being delivered in Slovenia, through the Vienna store at the moment, and one of those Slovenia owners told me that the Vienna store was crowded with deliveries. Throughout my trip I saw many new Model 3's. That is purely anecdotal, of course, but with seemingly better than expected results in China, Norway, Netherlands and leading indications elsewhere in Europe plus some hints in NA I will be surprised if this is not a very strong sales quarter. Profits is another thing. All things considered I don't pretend to have enough data to make any responsible quarterly guess, there is just too much noise to prognosticate with any degree of precision.

We absolutely know that Tesla success is driving rapid evolution among EU and Chinese automakers if not The NA ones.
Also we are largely ignoring the rapid buildup of PowerPack deliveries in industrial and utility applications. As I post the first European PowerPack installation is being inaugurated near Bled, Slovenia (I was there only two weeks ago) at a factory. Critical mass is already existing, and supply is still the constraint. In my posts in my trip report on the Italy thread in the Europe Forum I have not emphasized these observations. Despite that I defy anybody to actually travel in non-Northern Europe locations without becoming convinced that Tesla sales records are being broken. In Northern Europe one needs to be blind not to realize how significant all this really is.

Finally, Daimler announced publicly that they are no longer investing in ICE technology, that they are seeing and electric future. Does anyone honestly think that the proof of scalable cost efficient BEV's by Tesla is not convincing auto builders that they actually can do it too? It is not just EU pollution rules. Now it is real.

Somehow I suspect even many of us are losing the forest for the trees.

Soooo, any inside poop on what happened regarding the Nurburgring breakdown? Inquiring minds want to know.
Simple electonics/controller issue. Likely a fault detected so shut down out of precaution. The same thing happened when Franz was driving the Roadster 2 prototype in LA for a photoshoot (note the wheel dollies circled in this picture mean the Roadster wouldn't roll on its own). Classic controller/inverter issue.

tesla-roadster-stuck-lift-e1515259109186.jpeg

Note that there was no body or wheel damage, so we know there was no crash or spin. No emergency vehicles reponded indicating no medical issues. No smoke, no fire.

red.prototype03.jpg

Lastly, the fact that the recovery crew couldn't winch the Plaid prototype up onto the inclined flatdeck (choose to do a sling lift instead) means this was most likely a controller issue, where cogging torque in the unpowered motors (and because there is no clutch) makes it difficult to push the car with the wheel turning (esp. dragging it up a ramp).

red.prototype05b.jpg

So don't worry, the red Plaid prototype is fine, completely undamaged. They'll be back at the 'ring in Oct for another round of tests, and maybe something for the record books.

Also, I hereby revise my top speed estimate for Model S Plaid to 312 kmh, based on the predicted lap time capability of 7m05s. (SRPMs FTW) :cool:

Cheers!

Last edited: