Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this stock pattern of ever higher price since Dec 9 and no news of any consequence I can't help but feel that somebody with deep pockets knows something and that somebody is accumulating big time. Could be as simple as one big short decided it would be easier to push up and squeeze instead of pushing down. That would be a technical reason and in this case the appreciation may be short lived.

Otherwise perhaps someone was able to glean something fundamental about some upcoming news. Production numbers for a careful observer would probably be the the easiest to catch. I can't see how they'd know the real financial figures without illegal insider info.

It's very curious indeed to watch this steep ramp up. Just some crazy theories to explain it that don't involve oil money conspiracy :D

• Disagree
Reactions: PeterJA and dww12
I must admit now.

After working for 6 years in S/X manufacturing as an engineer/manager between 2012-2018 and then getting laid off in was tough. I was all in Tesla all along the way however when the stock started dropping this year, I was ready to throw in the towel around when the stock was $200 then i came here and rest is history. Not only did i held onto my options but also threw in my entire 401k account at it. Thanks to all of you for pulling me back up.

Wow. Glad our convictions can affect ex tesla workers. Hope it gives the current workers strength as well.

Now that all passed, but TESLA car still has a lot to improve on quality and reliability. My wife still doesn’t agree to buy one.
The only real mistake you can make in buying your first Tesla is waiting. You may get a better deal, or you may get some great feature you lust for, but meanwhile you won't be driving a Tesla. As soon as you finally pull the trigger, you'll realize how stupid that was.

I took possession at the end of 2018 and the build quality was flawless.
Mine is from December, 2017. Two years old on Christmas Eve. It was perfect when I got it, and remains great. I'm thinking I should take it in for a two year service. Maybe.

I took it in at one point and said "I heard you've done some things to mellow the ride a bit, and reduce the wind noise." They said yeah, leave it with us and we'll see what we can do to make it better. They replaced many parts of the suspension, and put on a new roof and windshield. Not because anything was broken, but because it could be better. Wow! No charge.

With this stock pattern of ever higher price since Dec 9 and no news of any consequence I can't help but feel that somebody with deep pockets knows something and that somebody is accumulating big time. Could be as simple as one big short decided it would be easier to push up and squeeze instead of pushing down. That would be a technical reason and in this case the appreciation may be short lived.

Otherwise perhaps someone was able to glean something fundamental about some upcoming news. Production numbers for a careful observer would probably be the the easiest to catch. I can't see how they'd know the real financial figures without illegal insider info.

It's very curious indeed to watch this steep ramp up. Just some crazy theories to explain it that don't involve oil money conspiracy :D

I definitely think given this week's action and volume with no real material news, someone is either increasing their stakes or taking a large new stake.

Reactions: SpaceAggie
I feel like the SP will burst upwards soon and this is just the beginning.
Can there be any doubt anymore? AJ has already called the PEAK: $500 by mid-2020. Which means sometime in February? :p

Cuz when TSLA hits the S&P 500, there will be NO mid-year slump back to $250.

AJ, Aj, aj... that's the view of your lights getting blown out.

Mine is from December, 2017. Two years old on Christmas Eve. It was perfect when I got it, and remains great. I'm thinking I should take it in for a two year service. Maybe.

I took it in at one point and said "I heard you've done some things to mellow the ride a bit, and reduce the wind noise." They said yeah, leave it with us and we'll see what we can do to make it better. They replaced many parts of the suspension, and put on a new roof and windshield. Not because anything was broken, but because it could be better. Wow! No charge.

Was that recently? I've read that Tesla has clamped down a bit on some of these goodwill type repairs.

Oh wow:

TSLA 2019 | Page 21 | Elite Trader

"My buddy who trades TSLA just blew out... I can't be sure of the loss but he blocked me on Twitter and insta, so it's gotta be bad. He was down $2MM on the year with the shares at $335 and I know he was short 100K there as well as thousands of naked calls (short)."

"I am off this week and just looked. $388. ATH."​

$335->$390 with 100k TSLA shares short is another $5.5m loss. Writing thousands of naked call contracts is incredibly risky, but I guess he needed the cash.

Then:

"He was convinced it was a $75 stock. He was short from 260 and held it to the touch of 165 on something like 80K shares. Didn't cover. Forced to cover at unch and then shorted (100K shares) again the day before earnings. Was shorting calls all the way to 350. I haven't talked to him since it hit 350."

"He's trying to sublet his $40K/month Tribeca apt on the qt as the co-op board won't allow it."​

With the naked calls that's going to be a hard landing ...

A. K. A
Dummy's guide to becoming a single digit millionaire.

By shorting tsla calls as a billionaire

Can there be any doubt anymore? AJ has already called the PEAK: $500 by mid-2020. Which means sometime in February? :p

Cuz when TSLA hits the S&P 500, there will be NO mid-year slump back to $250.

AJ, Aj, aj... that's the view of your lights getting blown out.

Take me to school here. What advantages is there for Tesla in getting listed on the S and P 500. Does it physically change where trades are done? Is there some kind of protection from the short manipulation strategies?. My disculpas in advance as we are not common stock investors but rather mutual fund investors. Still fun to know this stuff though.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if Tesla holds the acceleration boost until Q1. That’s a big pile of free money to offset auto’s cyclical sales cycle and demand pull from expiring tax credit.

Also, the timing is certainly helpful to Tesla share holders - and maybe the take rate is higher than expected due to all of us enjoying giant green numbers on whatever investing tools we use.

It is also interesting that leaks of expanded providers for in-car streaming, the $9.99 premium subscription kicking off, and the acceleration boost all hitting here at the end of Q4. All while Y line going through it’s install/testing, a facility fully built and running in China...and that’s just the start of such a long list of gigantic highly complex or technical projects occurring simultaneously.

Tesla’s going to put everybody out of business at this rate.

Take me to school here. What advantages is there for Tesla in getting listed on the S and P 500. Does it physically change where trades are done? Is there some kind of protection from the short manipulation strategies?. My disculpas in advance as we are not common stock investors but rather mutual fund investors. Still fun to know this stuff though.

Thanks in advance.

The general idea is that a lot of money in the stock market is held by S&P 500 index funds. Tesla being added to the index means that those funds will be buying shares, that today are not buyers of those shares.

So in short - lots and lots of new buyers :). And mostly of the buy and hold variety.

Thanks in advance.
Many investment funds trade on the S&P. Mutual funds, 401Ks, etc. In the immediate it would mean inclusion in all those portfolios. In the long term it adds to the credibility of the stock. I'm sure others will have a better take on it.

Dan

I'm always perplexed when someone tries to explain general stock movements on a single entity. Why attribute the actions of thousands to a single entity? It makes no sense unless you are trying to say the new, higher valuation is not real, that one person might have caused it.

Anyone can see that is not the case here. This is a broad-based capitulation of skeptics, shorts, funds that were too timid to invest before Tesla straightened their game out, individuals who figure they might as well be part of the future, those who won't buy until everyone else is buying, etc. etc. etc.

The best part is these kinds of "no news" moves generally take some time to play out. :)

Just curious how come you didn't finance the purchase? You can easily get a rate of 1.99% - 2.99% on a new purchase. I expect TSLA to outperform that.
Sure I expect that too, but TSLA has been down so much the past 6 months I just can't trust any sort term predictions. I'm retired on a fixed income ad can't afford any large monthly payments.