Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I trust Car and Driver ( and R&T) far more than any auto rag. Back in the 80s and 90s they took a lot of heat for praising the foreign makes and criticizing (rightly) the domestic products. Motor Trend on the other hand," well how much ad space do you want to buy?"

So far C&D has been fair and complimentary toward Tesla. They are car enthusiasts, C&D will track the Model 3, talk about its handling and give their opinion. If you are expecting something else, then read CNET or Consumer Reports.

Our Tesla Model 3 Suffered a Catastrophic Failure While Parked
Trust, but verify...

Are you in EAP ? If not how do you know - if so, why are you posting this ?

Very early this year an email leaked from Elon to employees that allowed them to buy a Tesla with FSD free if they joined a HW3 software testing program.

This is software no one outside of these employees has experienced, presumably other than at autonomy day.

Reactions: kbM3

Tesla is 6-10 years ahead of everybody and nobody appears to have a remote shot of matching them anytime soon if ever.

Phht. 6-10 years NOW. Next year 7-11. The year after 8-12.
1E6E7F49-248C-4BC8-9A90-C900CF023FC9.jpeg

6934860E-35E6-4DA5-AEBF-C3DF3F15938C.jpeg

The reason why Autopilot is not ready for Primetime, stupid stories like this. The Autopilot did nothing wrong here though I am sure Tesla is working on an algorithm for hydroplaning. You can't engineer for stupidity. How much you want to bet this fool tries to sue Tesla.

This is why Tesla drivers need to keep their hands on the wheel on Autopilot - Electrek

"A Tesla Model 3 driver filmed himself crashing on Autopilot and it serves as a good reminder that Tesla drivers need to keep their hands on the wheel on Autopilot at all times.

When using Autopilot, Tesla recommends that drivers always keep their hands on the wheel and stay attentive at all times.

A Model 3 driver going by Dougal Vlogs on YouTube was driving on Autopilot while filming from inside his car with a handheld camera."

Driving so fast in those conditions while filming was totally irresponsible.
What interests me is, what exactly is causing the audio warning and the orange+red icons on the left of the screen?

(I have under controlled circumstances brought my Model 3 to a point where I am pretty sure not all 4 wheels had traction - and the vehicle was not able to fully keep its direction, but I got no warning of any kind).

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
New The reason why Autopilot is not ready for Primetime, stupid stories like this. The Autopilot did nothing wrong here though I am sure Tesla is working on an algorithm for hydroplaning. You can't engineer for stupidity. How much you want to bet this fool tries to sue Tesla.
Actually, I would like a message "your top AP speed was reduced due to road conditions".
They have auto windshield wipers now, remember? They can tell how hard it's raining/snowing and choose the right speed for the wipers. The same speed adjustment, only in opposite direction, needs to apply to the car speed when on AP/FSD. You want to crash your car? Do it manually and don't blame AP/FSD.
I'd say the same should happen for momentary loss of traction - reduce speed.
Can't cover all bases, but should be able to make it much safer.

Very early this year an email leaked from Elon to employees that allowed them to buy a Tesla with FSD free if they joined a HW3 software testing program.

This is software no one outside of these employees has experienced, presumably other than at autonomy day.
Got it - you are going with the idea that Tesla has a secret HW3 version which is much better than the released version.

I don't buy it - esp. given they missed their self-imposed FC deadline.

ps : Just to be clear, they do have a HW3 version with City NOA running now - but with a lot of errors. That's why Musk said they are not ready for EAP yet, they need more testing even to send to EAP.

Last edited:
This is probably "tHe BiG dIp" that everyone on the sidelines has been waiting for so just get in the pool; no running, don't spill your martinis...

Today the "dip" took place during the first 12 minutes of regular trading, when TSLA steadily plummeted nearly $20 from the opening price of $429.00 to the low of the day at $409.26. It closed at $414.70, more then $5 above the low. During the session $412 proved supportive several times, which is a sign of where substantial buying interest likely exists. The macro-market was also dropping hard during the same early time frame, albeit not nearly at the percentage of TSLA.

The early TSLA shove downward was likely instigated by a combination of profit taking, index fund selling and fresh short selling. But it would have been greatly exacerbated by weak longs with tight stop-limits. Many of them on the West Coast may have still been in bed when the cascading effect took place. With those stop-limits cleared today, something similar tomorrow would not seem too likely.

Last edited:
Tesla was pretty upfront in their emails to customers:

Tesla Warns Federal Tax Credit Expires In 5 Weeks

Am i missing something?

I specifically said people that ordered in October and November. The people being canceled live in California and Tesla banked on doing some last minute just in time deliveries. I don't care if people that just ordered in the past couple weeks couldn't get delivery of their car by the end of the year.

You can read their messages on this very forum. They did nothing wrong and have been waiting patiently for a while.

Rebecca Lindland is a devout Tesla hater, and she's been at it for years. She's just like Bob Lutz - constantly negative and wrong about Tesla, yet for some reason she always gets invited back to give her latest opinions.

yup, check out her background...works for Cox Automotive and prior to that "spent over two years as a senior research fellow for the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC), based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia"

This is clearly one of those follow the money: Rebecca Lindland | Center for Automotive Research

we seem to be failing upwards lately. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Re: the dip today and probably tomorrow----IMO, a substantial amount of the dip is due to short-sellers' version of "window-dressing". I.e., hedge funds and brokers who have a significant component of their investments in short positions, and get paid on a percentage of assets quarterly or monthly, are motivated to close those positions as low as possible in order to maximize fees.