Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooo...how’s the TSLAQ crowd?

View attachment 497570

On a serious note, is there a particular threshold where margin calls are more likely? I’m not an investor but am curious to see if there is a short squeeze happening.

At double the price they shorted at. Remember, losses of more than 100% are possible when shorting. I imagine a lot of shorts have stop losses to keep them from losing more than 100%. Incidentally, we are at roughly double the price we were last summer/fall, so...

This board is host to both serious contributors and dancing clowns. We all get to decide where we fit best.

You say that as though dancing clowns don’t serve a purpose nor an important purpose.

Everyone has a role to play on the team. No one position is more important than the other.

Yes, I’m being serious. Even the shorts have an important role. Without them would Elon/Tesla tried half as hard?

Shorts had/have lessons to teach. No, I don’t like them and wish they’d curl up in a log and rot, but I still recognize their role is vital to how all this plays out.

That concludes our Zen session for the day.

On a serious note, is there a particular threshold where margin calls are more likely? I’m not an investor but am curious to see if there is a short squeeze happening.

I have a suspicion (but no proof) that a significant part of the elevated pre-market and after-market trading, especially after days with new all-time-highs for TSLA, are margin calls of (retail) Tesla shorts.

This isn't a huge volume, but 200k-300k shares per day.

Last edited:
I have to ask any old TMC members (old on TMC, not necessarily of age): is this what 2013 felt like? I'm trying to get work done... it's so damn hard to focus on anything other than the unmentionable!

Yep.

Complete with the people that sell to lock in gains, and then buy in later at a higher price. :D

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-7_18-42-22.png
    upload_2020-1-7_18-42-22.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
Consumer Reports still seeming Anti-Tesla with most recent ads - pushing Chevy Bolt and not mentioning Tesla in even the top 8 “Best Cars”. Sad.
View attachment 497544View attachment 497545
They didn't list any Teslas as worse cars did they? I had subscribed to CR for decades but whenever I ended up buying cars I always went with something they didn't like and the past couple years they have been openly hostile to Tesla, to the point of ignoring their own scoring so I didn't renew.

This is uncharted territory.. your guess is as good as anyone else. ;-)

Maybe a nice even 500?
They fought for every trench on the way up: 420, 430, 440, 450, and today its 460.

I predict the next three trenches will be: (wait for it) 470, 480, 490. :cool:

Then a quick breakout from 500 to 555. :D

It's about 2-3 wks until the Earnings call. How much have we run up since then? Oh yeah, its btwn $33 - $60 but its just SO DAMN LUMPY... :p

TSLA.1mth.2020-01-07.12-40.png

So TSLA is almost exactly on track to arrive at the Earnings call at $500 or above, depending on the date of the call. As I've said before, much of Wall St. (and especially TA) is mostly Kabuki Theatre.

I say profitable 2019Q4, then SP gaps up toward $555 soon after. Of course, this is my opinion, and I could be wrong. But I'm literally betting that I'm not.

Cheers!

You say that as though dancing clowns don’t serve a purpose nor an important purpose.

Everyone has a role to play on the team. No one position is more important than the other.

Yes, I’m being serious. Even the shorts have an important role. Without them would Elon/Tesla tried half as hard?

Shorts had/have lessons to teach. No, I don’t like them and wish they’d curl up in a log and rot, but I still recognize their role is vital to how all this plays out.

As the unofficial spokesperson for the Union of Dancing Clowns (UDC), I thank you for your sentiments.

Hear hear! I'm a total cretin, my only purpose here is to lighten things up a bit, but hey, we all need that too. $TSLA is stressful... Even the SP going up is stressful, we need some laughs.

BTW, I called $470 before market opened and I'm sticking with that (this is Europe time, before you all complain):

upload_2020-1-7_19-6-44.png

Edit - graphic got lost...

And bloody hell - I go to Twitter for 5 minutes to have a laugh at $TSLAQ and it pops another $2!

Last edited:
I think the announcement that EVGo is going to add Tesla cables to it's charging stations is a good indicator of where that is going. I really hope Tesla will continue adding SC stations and I believe they will. But this will certainly add options.

I think the big question will be if Tesla will start adding those locations to its in-car displays. Sure we can pull up PlugShare as needed but considering they don't even show destination chargers this seems like an area Tesla will have to improve on as we start getting to millions of cars on the road. For the less technical they just want to know where they can charge right now. Also something like vehicle-to-vehicle charging for when grandma forgets to charge. Cybertruck with a mobile charger plugged in would be an interesting service vehicle but of course faster charging would be better.

Another thing that we have to keep in mind - the more range that is available, the less charging stations are needed. With the rumor/hope that the Plaid S will somehow have 500 miles of range, that will eliminate a TON of charging on the road (ie, non-home or non-destination charging). I know for my traveling habits, it would eliminate 90% of my supercharger visits. It would also open up a lot of routes to me that, right now, simply aren't doable in my S85.

I recently told someone that going to a gas station is a lot like the old days when we went to the "movie store" to rent DVDs. Why fuel at a gas station when you could fuel at home? I explained that charging stations were only needed for traveling. But, the more I think about it, the more I can envision a day when EVs have SO much range, that a stop to charge is something that very few people ever experience. And charging stations will be shutdown instead of opened.