Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are Charlie Munger's comments about Tesla:

Charlie Munger, on BYD and Tesla sales divergence: "BYD sales went down because the Chinese reduced incentives to the buyers of electric cars...and Tesla sales went up because Elon has convinced people he can cure cancer."​

Context: Berkshire Hathaway owns a big, 25% stake in BYD ..

Further context, Tesla is now endangering BYD in their home market:

He was also trash-talking the stock and Elon:

“I would never buy [Tesla] and I would never sell it short...I think Elon Musk is peculiar and he may overestimate himself, but he may not be wrong all the time,” Charlie Munger said.​

The Berkshire Hathaway old guard is still seriously underestimating Tesla. Their loss. :D

I sold a share of BRK-A for about 120K in 2012 and bought TSLA with the proceeds. BRK-A has tripled in value since then. TSLA was at 28 or so...

Charlie Munger, on BYD and Tesla sales divergence: "BYD sales went down because the Chinese reduced incentives to the buyers of electric cars...and Tesla sales went up because Elon has convinced people he can cure cancer."​

“I would never buy [Tesla] and I would never sell it short...I think Elon Musk is peculiar and he may overestimate himself, but he may not be wrong all the time,” Charlie Munger said.​

The Berkshire Hathaway old guard is still seriously underestimating Tesla. Their loss. :D

That’s actually super high praise, coming from Charlie.

Yes, maybe . . .

The question is whether these people are currently Tesla employees:

upload_2020-2-12_14-46-25.png

BTW, LinkedIn says SilLion is looking for a battery technician ...

SilLion was claiming their tech took battery energy density to 350Wh/kg.

I don’t think so. Berkshire Hathaway has a large investment in BYD. So they clearly believe in EVs, but they just picked the wrong company to invest in and he’s trying (very unconvincingly) to defend that choice :)

I don't think they believe in EVs.

I think they believe Geo political forces would push Chinese government to push EVs, which they're absolutely right. Chinese spent sugar load of US dollars buying crude oil from international market, which is detrimental to their finance.

Charlie also predicted that the EV subsidy would go to local manufacturer exclusively, which he was absolutely correct.

That
was two stroke of genius bound to make a ton of money. What can go wrong?!

Then this Musk guy came along messed everything up....

Apparently good old Charlie doesn't cotton to young whippersnappers. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold a share of BRK-A for about 120K in 2012 and bought TSLA with the proceeds. BRK-A has tripled in value since then. TSLA was at 28 or so...

I haven’t had the ROI that you’ve gotten but I’m proud of the fact I liquidated my fairly large position in FB (barf) last year to buy my initial stake in TSLA. :D

The question is whether these people are currently Tesla employees:

View attachment 510542

BTW, LinkedIn says SilLion is looking for a battery technician ...

SilLion was claiming their tech took battery energy density to 350Wh/kg.

Background information on SilLion: SiILion | Company Week

It certainly seems like something that Tesla would want to own, if the technology worked. The former CEO noted improvements were needed in charge rate and cold-weather performance, as of 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
I don't think they believe in EVs.

I think they believe Geo political forces would push Chinese government to push EVs, which they're absolutely right. Chinese spent sugar load of US dollars buying crude oil from international market, which is detrimental to their finance.

Charlie also predicted that the EV subsidy would go to local manufacturer exclusively, which he was absolutely correct.

That
was two stroke of genius bound to make a ton of money. What can go wrong?!

Then this Musk guy came along messed everything up....

Yeah, that peculiar software nerd who may not be wrong all the time.

As I said, if they got significant share of Tesla. It's time for me to sell 10% every month.

interesting take - I personally wouldn’t change my investment thesis in Tesla because someone else went long on the stock, that doesn’t change the fundamentals in any way. Buffett & Munger may take way too long to become convinced about tech companies, but when they eventually “get it” they tend to do very well (see their Apple investment). They also bring along a HUGE amount of disciplined copycat long term investors.

As opposed to the car buyer? That's simply a function of price elasticity of demand. Tesla received most of the benefit of the credits because we all really wanted a Tesla. Right now Etron buyers are getting most of the benefit because nobody wants an Etron.

Charlie didn't decide to buy Apple until after 10 years of the iPhone. So we can expect Charlie and Berkshire Hathaway to get on board with Tesla in about 2030.

Note: Berkshire Hathaway has not actually outperformed the S&P 500 in something like 20 years now.

And what a huge surprise to see that such a FUD article is written by none other than Dana Hull :rolleyes: (NOT!)

Actually, I am a tiny bit surprised, because by her own words she has been thinking about journalism and her life (and Twitter),
Dana Hull ‍ on Twitter

The conclusion seems to be that her life needs a paycheck more than the world needs journalism.

I don't know this "Munger" fellow, but he sounds like a cretin.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.29.52 PM.png
Yes, maybe . . .

The Engineering Technician Tesla is looking to hire in Louisville, Colorado, should be familiar with silicon anode materials. We know that SilLion was acquired by a large, international tech company. We know that Tesla is looking for a hire at their approximate location, a person familiar with exactly the anode materials SilLion covers with their IP and expertise. I think we could conclude that it's very likely Tesla was the acquirer.

One of the big accumulators of Tesla shares last quarter appears to be JP Morgan Chase. Any thoughts regarding this development?

View attachment 510508
Source: Nasdaq
I might be late but my thoughts are they are a bunch of lying cut throat thief's.
They have a chimp as a "analyst" (see my Sig) and they provide very little to society.

edit: Wrong analyst....but same type of "pump and dump" company.
To big to fail and a leech on society.

Last edited:
View attachment 510557

The Engineering Technician Tesla is looking to hire in Louisville, Colorado, should be familiar with silicon anode materials. We know that SilLion was acquired by a large, international tech company. We know that Tesla is looking for a hire at their approximate location, a person familiar with exactly the anode materials SilLion covers with their IP and expertise. I think we could conclude that it's very likely Tesla was the acquirer.
Sounds like I need to take a road trip to Denver. I need to restock my supply of....uhhh....tesla shares anyway.