Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a bit complex issue:
1. Elon at that point could not confirm the capital raise. So the question was dumb.
2. Elon does not like analysts with low target price and "underperform" recommendations especially if he considers the analysis dumb. Elon was a bit aggressive there.
3. Given the fairly convincing rumors of starting a breakthrough battery cell production, it was predictable that in some form they will need funds to finance expansion even with FCA generously volunteering to finance Giga Berlin. So the claim that TSLA does not need money was an obvious BS.

And I completely agree.

My post was not referring to any of that, however. It was about the fact that

1. when, during the heat of the moment -- conference call -- one poster claims that Elon just basically called a question "dumb" in an indirect way, a prominent forum contributor hits the Love button

2. when a different poster makes the same claim to indicate the contradiction between Elon's comments during the CC and today's announcement, that same prominent forum contributor calls that poster "self-loathing"

Elon (and implicitly Tesla) changes course when presented with changing circumstances. That's a good thing for sure. We here may also change our perspective of the company's evolution and decisions as a result. But it's disingenuous for someone to then claim they never felt differently (which is basically just an expression of unwavering trust in Elon's decision-making), and it's even worse to attack another forum member who points out the strong contradiction between Elon's stances at two different points in time. Disagreeing is fine, but I personally draw a line at personal attacks.

And I completely agree.

My post was not referring to any of that, however. It was about the fact that

1. when, during the heat of the moment -- conference call -- one poster claims that Elon just basically called a question "dumb" in an indirect way, a prominent forum contributor hits the Love button

2. when a different poster makes the same claim to indicate the contradiction between Elon's comments during the CC and today's announcement, that same prominent forum contributor calls that poster "self-loathing"

Elon (and implicitly Tesla) changes course when presented with changing circumstances. That's a good thing for sure. We here may also change our perspective of the company's evolution and decisions as a result. But it's disingenuous for someone to then claim they never felt differently (which is basically just an expression of unwavering trust in Elon's decision-making), and it's even worse to attack another forum member who points out the strong contradiction between Elon's stances at two different points in time. Disagreeing is fine, but I personally draw a line at personal attacks.

You should look at your avatar more often ;)

I feel a little dirty...have a sell order in at 799.99

Just a smidge..but still:eek:

2020-02-13-184343_1276x757_scrot.png

:eek:

I had to read Artful Dodger's post again just to be sure. I don't see any personal insults there.

Perhaps pointing out the misquote is taken by you to be a "personal insult"? I do think a little "rolling of the eyes" was warranted because the original post was a misrepresentation of what Elon actually said. And Artful Dodger shouldn't have had to waste his time correcting the record. Additionally, numerous good and valid reasons have already been given why, given what was known during the Q4 conference call, raising additional capital wasn't a good idea while now it is. Tesla is not a static company, things are moving along very quickly and Tesla moves in the moment.
A quote: You are making that up out of your fears and self-loathing.

Does that mean, if some other forum member addressed you like that for including a misquote in one of your posts, you'd be ok with it? Is it just a little "rolling of the eyes"? Maybe I'm overreacting, but to me that sounds offensive. There was no /s included there, no ;) or :p or anything to imply lightheartedness... but I suppose different people derive different meanings from written text. It's just how it sounded to me.

Today is one of those days where it shows how risky it is selling near the money calls to capture premiums.

I had my finger over the "Write Call" button a few times on Tuesday, but did the math on the premium I'd get vs. what I stood to lose based on recent volatility. Any Call worth selling was a little closer to the edge than I was comfortable with. Glad I did not write anything as this could have been me right now.

Of course, having an option assigned at something higher than when that call was written is not the worst thing in the world, but the call premium will seem like a bottle refund with the way TSLA moves.

This stonk be funny.

T-20 hours: Thrilled that I sold my (2 of 2) remaining short-term calls before the drop.

T-10 hours: Sorry I didn't sell back a few LEAPs in my IRA too.

T-3 hours: Set some buy orders way too low.

T-1 hours: Moved those orders up about $50... Still way too low.

T-30 minutes: Holy...

Say it with me: Buy and hold. Buy and hold.

(Core position is long-and-strong :))