Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cb128e9191ec241c28c14a37db43c4d6.jpg

I agree with you. My take away from the call was that they didn't need to raise money and they were self funding. Whether or not there were underlying tones that he doesn't want greedy bankers trying to get a cut of that money doing a capital raise is up for debate.

My positive takeaway is that even if at the time Elon was against raising money at the time, with the higher stock price and ideas on how they can use more money, Elon was able to change his mind and decide that a capital raise makes sense now. I'm always happy if people reevaluate their previous decisions and decide if it is the right call or not, versus just being stubborn and set in their ways. Elon doesn't mind course corrections and the potential blowback from it if he thinks it is the right thing to do.

I think Zach also made the point that when they "spent like crazy" it got inefficient. He noted that part of the way they got expenses under control (which seemed to be a big catalyst in Q3) was making sure the pace of growth was manageable. I can't believe I'm saying that while they're expanding Giga Shanghai for Model Y and also starting to build Giga Berlin, but there it is.

My take is that they could cover short-term growth with loans and free cash flow ($1B last year, right?). But there is always SOME threat of recession -- whether from virus or tariffs or the oil industry shrinking or whatever. Someone noted earlier in the thread that Ford only survived without a government takeover because they had plenty of cash on hand when the last recession hit. I think it's a fantastic idea to build up cash on hand at a point of strength in the business and stock, if only for that reason.

But we may discover in April that they have more factory buildouts in mind, and it would also be darn helpful to go into that with a stronger cash position. (Perhaps especially if the rating agencies are still dragging their feet on upgrades!)