Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are weird tattoo bets still going on?:D

Is that what these were?

57E87F70-A5D2-448A-B2FF-BB096AF19BD1.jpeg
93B3BDAA-BBB7-4A26-B97B-A2EF50CC56BA.jpeg

So blatantly obvious that analysts are just adjusting "price targets" based on recent price movements. Bunch of clowns. Basically zero fundamental news since the GF4 announcement in november.

What does "price target" even mean, is it supposed to stand still when it hits the target...?
This whole industry is ridiculous, the emperor has no clothes.
You can't go and flog an equity raise to your clients and then the next day say "Ha! Suckers! This company is actually worth $10 a share!". Even if that's what you actually think. Hence the equity raise has been quite nice for the stock price momentum.

Incredibly weird trading today. Stock is up about 60 points and the open interest I have been tracking indicates the option sellers, i.e. market makers for the most part, need to buy a little over 6 million shares to remain hedged.

The actual trading volume per my broker (IB) is an average level of 16 million shares. it is not possible to buy 6 million shares with a total traded volume of 16 million. by my estimates they need to have about a 4x volume day (24 million) to absorb the magnitude of the move. My guess is the market makers closed the books for today net short by about ~2 Million shares or so. They may have to acquire this tomorrow or pretty soon, and this could snowball. @ReflexFunds may be able to confirm this or have more to say.

Clearly I am not surprised by the AH creep up and would expect this to continue into tomorrow.

Agreed, smaller options market makers slowly balancing their delta hedges and bidding up each other is one of the possible explanations for yesterday's AH rise - and then we haven't even gotten the bigger ones delta neutral yet, because they probably didn't want to tip their hands in a weak-liquidity AH market that would quickly expose their intentions ...

And this week is a BIG options expiry week, so there might be a lot of compulsory delta hedging if the price otherwise runs out of the range they'd otherwise be comfortable with capping.

With major positive catalysts like Tesla credit upgrades still outstanding, most small and mid size options market makers would prefer to narrowly maintain their delta neutral hedges, in after-hours and early-hours trading as well, and new shorts would still rather be waiting on the sidelines before committing. There's also a constant tailwind: China situation might improve further, and a potential GF4 court approval today or tomorrow could eliminate one of the few remaining short term negative notes.

Also, I still maintain my hypothesis outlined to @ReflexFunds, that Tesla's float has contracted dramatically, and that without any viable bear thesis alive and no well defined top the short interest is squeezing the price up not via the buying primarily (which can be absorbed), but via the float contraction effect (which is permanent). Any ongoing S&P 500 index inclusion accumulation by larger funds will only further contract the float.

Officially the float is 142 million TSLA shares - in practice the "effective float" could be as low as 100 million shares - maybe as low as 50 million shares at current price levels.

This explains days like February 3 (a Monday) with insane 47m shares trading volume and a melt-up - if float-contraction hypothesis is true then almost the whole float held by weak hands changed hands and contracted further, because even more "strong hands" acquired shares they'd not sell before they realize some good profits on them. Only an insanely gutsy attempt at manipulation on the next day on 67 million shares volume by Andrew Left & co-conspirators defined a (possibly only temporary) top.

The notion that there's a good chance that Tesla will turn into a trillion dollar company is now "common wisdom" even among rational bears (!). Anyone with primary school math skills can divide $1,000,000,000,000 with ~200 million shares and arrive at a $5,000 long term price target, and the tax and business cycle incentives in the U.S. for investors to buy-and-hold are strong.

But the three principal forces contracting the float might be stronger than ever. Not advice. :D

Last edited:
I am currently "gardening" so have quite a lot of free time in my days at the moment. And have found myself watching a lot of Grand Designs on Netflix. Whacky and wonderful house building projects. I know Elon has a lot on his plate but it astounds me how time consuming and expensive it is to build a decent quality family house. Come on Elon, it's the logical extension of solar roof and residential hvac! Disrupt global house building please!

Modest ambition,,,,

I want a robot a printing a house out of Boring Co bricks.... with HVAC, Solar Roof, and this Tesla Steps Into The Utility Space With New Grid Controller Patent | CleanTechnica

Throw in a Tesla Laptop, Tablet, and Smart Phone running Linux with Maxwell batteries .....

Then solve all issues for 100% RE grid, including seasonal variation....

Get all that done, and we might let you go to Mars :)

i love how people criticize cathys strategy to her face on TV. I have some ark investments...she knows what she is doing, unlike the muppet 'entertainers' who talk crap at her on clickbait TV. They wish they had 1% of her understanding of the market.

The talking heads on TV always like to mockingly point out that Tesla was Arks largest holding. Cathie would typically say something like "Yes, Tesla is our strongest conviction holding.". They aren't mocking her now, they are insanely jealous and embarrassed. The lady knows what she is talking about.

Thanks for posting this. These types of fundamental calculations might seem obvious, but they aren't obvious to new investors.
A good contrast to the daily noise and bullshit from analysts.
:)

Note that it's a long term price target, and the regular business cycle (recessions and booms) act as a strong corrective factor even to firms that otherwise have a bullish future. As with any individual firm investment there's also significant tail risks present. As a fair warning, I outlined a similar bullish thesis in the $350's in December 2018 as well, and the price almost halved from that point on, and I was cautious in December 2019 at $400 price levels and the price more than doubled from that point on - so timing the market is always tough. As the saying goes: "predictions are hard, especially about the future".

TL;DR: not advice. :D

Last edited: