Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Senate aid package quietly carves out billions intended for Boeing, officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/boeing-bailout-coronavirus/

"The Senate package includes a $17 billion federal loan program for businesses deemed “critical to maintaining national security.” The provision does not mention Boeing by name but was crafted largely for the company’s benefit, two of the people said. Other firms could also receive a share of the money, one of the people said."
I don't know the precise details of the provision but I would not be surprised if Elon and Tesla lawyers assert eligibility for a piece.
It's unrealistic to anticipate Tesla will get even a penny.

What comments?
Earlier in the day, four Republican senators — Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott of South Carolina, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Rick Scott of Florida — threatened not to support the chamber’s push to pass the rescue package through fast-track procedures. They argued a plan to add $600 per week to unemployment insurance for up to four months, a core provision of the near-final legislation, could encourage companies to lay off workers and Americans to stay unemployed.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., then said he would delay the bill if his GOP colleagues did not drop their opposition, calling it an “outrage” to prevent Americans from getting emergency unemployment insurance. In a statement, he said he is “prepared to put a hold on this bill” to lobby for tighter restrictions on companies receiving aid from a taxpayer pool of $500 billion.
Sanders' fight with GOP senators over unemployment aid threatens to delay coronavirus stimulus

Sure... For SpaceX

Senate aid package quietly carves out billions intended for Boeing, officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/boeing-bailout-coronavirus/

"The Senate package includes a $17 billion federal loan program for businesses deemed “critical to maintaining national security.” The provision does not mention Boeing by name but was crafted largely for the company’s benefit, two of the people said. Other firms could also receive a share of the money, one of the people said."
I don't know the precise details of the provision but I would not be surprised if Elon and Tesla lawyers assert eligibility for a piece.

Regarding that ford advert... I don't think this is a good argument for tesla not advertising. I do NOT think they need to advertise yet, but the time will come.
That ford ad is dreadful, because as is noted, its basically an ad that says "PLEASE BUY ONE, WE WILL BASICALLY TAKE WHATEVER YOU OFFER US" Which is indeed as awful ad...
...but there are a lot of plain FACTS about a tesla that people either do not know, or have actively been lied to about. I never talk to someone about my car who is not surprised by something, such as top speed, acceleration, range, charge times, safety record etc.
Tesla can make ads WHEN they need to, that are informative not manipulative. Some ads *are* a good thing, especially when you have a truly innovative product.

Reactions: 1965Falcon
Keep in mind that Google Trends data is normalized for the volume of total searches. With people told to stay home from work, there are probably a lot more searches in general happening.

Example:

Say you have 100 people searching for a Model Y every day. Then they are told to stay home because of the Coronavirus. Now assume the 100 people are still doing their daily search for Model Y but are also searching for Coronavirus. Now it looks like Model Y searches have been cut in half (but they are actually unchanged).

I did a bit of testing around this, by looking at trends for search phrases that should not have much daily / monthly variation (e.g. "what day is it?"). In those graphs, you do not see some massive drop in search % over the last month or so.

So the Tesla drop is not due to a massive increase in overall search volume. It is due to simply less people searching for Tesla Model S/X/3.

To reiterate, Model 3/S/X search demand in the U.S. and worldwide has dropped 50% in over the last 3 months. I don't see how this cannot affect Q2 demand / ASP significantly unless search volume starts coming back up, and soon.

This does not affect any of my long-term bullishness on the stock, but combined with the COVID fears looming, I have sold half my stock (all that in my IRAs) betting that I will be able to end up acquiring more shares at a cheaper price sometime in the next few weeks.

However I probably don't want to be out before the Buffalo / Battery day events.

But Q2 guidance might not be friendly.

Regarding that ford advert... I don't think this is a good argument for tesla not advertising. I do NOT think they need to advertise yet, but the time will come.
That ford ad is dreadful, because as is noted, its basically an ad that says "PLEASE BUY ONE, WE WILL BASICALLY TAKE WHATEVER YOU OFFER US" Which is indeed as awful ad...
...but there are a lot of plain FACTS about a tesla that people either do not know, or have actively been lied to about. I never talk to someone about my car who is not surprised by something, such as top speed, acceleration, range, charge times, safety record etc.
Tesla can make ads WHEN they need to, that are informative not manipulative. Some ads *are* a good thing, especially when you have a truly innovative product.
I saw a 30 second add for the Model 3 on Youtube today . It was just paid for by Omaze.

Once all the shorts and put holders give up I'm it will likely continue the down trend. I did sell some more TSLA today so you can thank me when it goes up again tomorrow :)

Good luck to all that are trying to trade this volatility

I have a buy set for $165...a very early Christmas wish I suppose...I suspect that won't happen though. So many shoulda coulda woulda this last month. Argg

404E8EF4-29E6-45CA-80FE-E5E8AE94EDCB.jpeg
Up $50 AH?

edit: looks like a glitch