Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a bit of testing around this, by looking at trends for search phrases that should not have much daily / monthly variation (e.g. "what day is it?"). In those graphs, you do not see some massive drop in search % over the last month or so.

So the Tesla drop is not due to a massive increase in overall search volume. It is due to simply less people searching for Tesla Model S/X/3.

To reiterate, Model 3/S/X search demand in the U.S. and worldwide has dropped 50% in over the last 3 months. I don't see how this cannot affect Q2 demand / ASP significantly unless search volume starts coming back up, and soon.
This was answered a few days ago. The way they are reported is by percentage of search. People are at home now and searching more, so if there are 100 Tesla searches every week, but now the total search volume is 200, the percentage shown is down 50%.

Regarding that ford advert... I don't think this is a good argument for tesla not advertising. I do NOT think they need to advertise yet, but the time will come.
That ford ad is dreadful, because as is noted, its basically an ad that says "PLEASE BUY ONE, WE WILL BASICALLY TAKE WHATEVER YOU OFFER US" Which is indeed as awful ad...
...but there are a lot of plain FACTS about a tesla that people either do not know, or have actively been lied to about. I never talk to someone about my car who is not surprised by something, such as top speed, acceleration, range, charge times, safety record etc.
Tesla can make ads WHEN they need to, that are informative not manipulative. Some ads *are* a good thing, especially when you have a truly innovative product.
Tesla probably should host another round of community ad making contest. There are so much more you can tell than last time.

But, I am against the idea of paying to air those ads. Just make some really good ones and let Elon tweet the links.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
This was answered a few days ago. The way they are reported is by percentage of search. People are at home now and searching more, so if there are 100 Tesla searches every week, but now the total search volume is 200, the percentage shown is down 50%.

No, that's what I'm saying I tested. By looking at other various search terms, I see they do not go down (i.e. Search volume is not increasing relative to how much those terms are searched).

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Those 3 calls were all up over 50% today, after being down or flat yesterday. (Jan 2021 $1200, 1500, 1800 strikes). I should have bought more yesterday! Next time.

Bought my first call yesterday and sold today for 1500$ profit. Since it was my first dip into options I took the (small) win early, expecting the job report tomorrow might have a negative impact on the market so I can buy again. Or I'll just regret selling :p

Senate aid package quietly carves out billions intended for Boeing, officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/boeing-bailout-coronavirus/

"The Senate package includes a $17 billion federal loan program for businesses deemed “critical to maintaining national security.” The provision does not mention Boeing by name but was crafted largely for the company’s benefit, two of the people said. Other firms could also receive a share of the money, one of the people said."
I don't know the precise details of the provision but I would not be surprised if Elon and Tesla lawyers assert eligibility for a piece.
I think boring will get a big chunk of change. Long term, procurement policies will encourage diversifying away from too much Boeing. I may be wrong, but by the time they recover from the Max debacle, new entrants making electric VTOL planes will be entering the market. SpaceX will be a decade ahead and Air Force will be more one plane running a fleet of AI planes. A singe F35 could run a dozen F16 fighters and a smaller e squadron of F15’s. Each pilot will have more firepower then a squadron today and having the ability to sacrifice AI fighters and bombers makes them much more powerful. Bottom line, of their core businesses, they will all be under assault the next 5 years. I think Boeing is the 2020 GE of the 2000’s. Grand industrial leaders being replaced by fast first movers and entrepreneurs who don’t want to sell out and step away.

I did a bit of testing around this, by looking at trends for search phrases that should not have much daily / monthly variation (e.g. "what day is it?"). In those graphs, you do not see some massive drop in search % over the last month or so.

So the Tesla drop is not due to a massive increase in overall search volume. It is due to simply less people searching for Tesla Model S/X/3.

The methodology Google says they use disproves your rather transparent attempt to create a false impression:

Google Trends normalizes search data to make comparisons between terms easier. Search results are normalized to the time and location of a query by the following process:

• Each data point is divided by the total searches of the geography and time range it represents to compare relative popularity. Otherwise, places with the most search volume would always be ranked highest.

• The resulting numbers are then scaled on a range of 0 to 100 based on a topic’s proportion to all searches on all topics.

• Different regions that show the same search interest for a term don't always have the same total search volumes.
I'm going to trust Google on this one. They normalize the search score for the total volume of searches.

To reiterate, Model 3/S/X search demand in the U.S. and worldwide has dropped 50% in over the last 3 months. I don't see how this cannot affect Q2 demand / ASP significantly unless search volume starts coming back up, and soon.

This does not affect any of my long-term bullishness on the stock, but combined with the COVID fears looming, I have sold half my stock (all that in my IRAs) betting that I will be able to end up acquiring more shares at a cheaper price sometime in the next few weeks.

OK, so it looks like your attempt to create a false impression aligns very well with your personal financial stake. It's not a good look.

The markets are down about 30% from last month. Is that not a big enough discount for the contraction you’re anticipating?

Not if valuing the market by its earnings multiple, which currently stands at 18.6x on the S&P 500, which is higher than its long term Average, and yet this is while we know we are going to get a big decrease in earnings over the near future.

I disagreed with you because it's GOP senators who would be delaying the bill by adding last-minute changes (reducing benefits for the working guy) and Sanders is saying "Oh, no you don't".
They are trying to "reduce the benefits" so they are capped to what the person made while working. Otherwise, many lower end income people will get a raise if the are laid off. Meaning the employer would actually be hurting them by keeping the employed.

I have a buy set for $165...

200.webp

The methodology Google says they use disproves your rather transparent attempt to create a false impression:

I'm going to trust Google on this one. They normalize the search score for the total volume of searches.

OK, so it looks like your attempt to create a false impression aligns very well with your personal financial stake. It's not a good look.

No. I made an observation. Posted it. Got the feedback, looked into it further, and decided to act on it.

Posted on my updated analysis, with which you seemingly haven't actually responded to. You just reposted the same normalization description.

Do you understand my additional analysis? If you think total search volume doubled (but not for Tesla) then it's likely concentrated in Coronavirus news (maybe). Why would search for "what month is it" increase in absolute search activity, but not Tesla searches?

I am totally willing to listen to an analysis why Tesla activity plummeted relative to other random searches...