Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, thanks to TSLA this year -

I'm completing a donation, of a small amount, saved/earned up this year to my old high school's clean-tech club that builds and deploys very small solar boxes to African countries.

Would be interested to hear recommendations of mechanisms of financing for solar deployments to schools, worldwide, if anyone on this forum knows of such apps/sites/orgs that do such things.

Have you tried solar aid?
Home - SolarAid

To the US members of this board: happy 4th. Let’s celebrate our freedom.

To those members outside the US: don’t lose faith in the US. We have our problems, and some are getting worse. But none of us here need look any further than the story of Elon Musk to appreciate that innovators are still able to thrive and grow here.

For every protectionist here there is another seeking to make the entire world open, free, sustainable and healthy.

Let the fireworks we light the sky with tonight remind us that we seek liberty and justice for all.

Ok, appears to be a change of tone.

I wouldn’t overanalyze. The only thing to take away is that it’s future tense. Agree that “will” implies that the app is further along than it actually is. The app is almost certainly nothing more than a plan in Elon and Karpathy’s head right now.

Personally I think all of that is somewhere between 2 and 5 years off.

Let the fireworks we light the sky with tonight remind us that we seek liberty and justice for all.

Indeed. “Conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.“

Lincoln recognized this was the goal. Unfortunately, 150 years later, it’s a goal we’re still fighting to reach.

Well, thanks to TSLA this year -

I'm completing a donation, of a small amount, saved/earned up this year to my old high school's clean-tech club that builds and deploys very small solar boxes to African countries.

Would be interested to hear recommendations of mechanisms of financing for solar deployments to schools, worldwide, if anyone on this forum knows of such apps/sites/orgs that do such things.
This isn’t solar-related, but my wife (who is a dietitian) started a non-profit foundation called Stargold’s Nutrition Foundation last year that is working towards providing healthy, nutritious meals to undernourished school-age children in Libreville, Gabon.

It is in the planning and organizing phase but she has 3 employees there already and a team here in Canada helping her push the project forward. They recently had a recipe contest to find the best recipe (nutritious and tasty) for a “pancake” style meal to use, and they are honing in on a property in Libreville to either buy or rent to set up the commercial kitchen. She intends to get solar (hopefully Tesla) and Powerwall eventually to run the kitchen when there is enough funding.

I’ve donated a lot of funds already (helped by TSLA!) but the fundraising gala event planned for this fall had to be cancelled due to COVID of course, which was too bad. The ultimate goal is to optimize the model in Gabon and then recreate it in other countries where there are children similarly in need.

This is the website: Stargold's Nutrition Foundation | Feeding Kids in Africa

Last edited:
Business Insider is estimating the 22nd of July for the Q2 Earnings Call.

Tesla Calendar | Markets Insider

I'm not sure how BI came up with the 22nd of July for the Q2 Earnings Call. These are generally held on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday after market close. The 22nd seems a little early going by previous Q2 earnings call dates and I would have initially guessed the 29th. But if they have good news they may want to get it out early? We should know when they announce the date, probably sometime between the 10th and 17th of July.

Q2 Earnings Call Dates
2016 Wednesday, 3rd August 2016
2017 Wednesday, 2nd August 2017
2018 Wednesday, 1st August 2018
2019 Wednesday, 24th July 2019

If you sell covered calls that are in the money when you sell them, it restarts the long term gains clock on the underlying shares. If you actually have long-term stock this is a disaster. (In the US, taxable account, IANATL, not advice.) You can sell OTM calls though.
Is it a lot less disastrous if your shares are in an IRA? I have a 100 shares in a Roth that I was considering using to generate income as covered calls, but not sure how risky this is if I’m trying to stay long. Maybe I shouldn’t be asking this question in this thread? Is there a covered call thread that I should start reading?

Reactions: UncaNed
I don't know about you guys, but my weekend isn't complete without a Giga Shanghai update:

I could easily imagine start of Model Y trial production in Q4.
As interesting is start of drive unit, next to pack assembly and the other 4 new buildings. Seat assembly is supposed to start 2nd half of the year and I’d guess wiring subassembly, leaving two more buildings. Does anyone have an updated map of the 6 buildings that are not the 3 and Y assembly?
Margins should be over 30% once pack (done), drive unit, seat and other components, aluminum molds and even better when Y production starts.

Is it a lot less disastrous if your shares are in an IRA? I have a 100 shares in a Roth that I was considering using to generate income as covered calls, but not sure how risky this is if I’m trying to stay long. Maybe I shouldn’t be asking this question in this thread? Is there a covered call thread that I should start reading?
An exercised call you sold only has impact on a non retirement account.
Standard IRAs don't get you long term capital gains, everthing is normal income when withdrawn.
Roth is all tax free.

TWTR was announced to be joining S&P 500 on June 5 (join date June 7). For some perspective as what TSLA could do, here are stock closing prices for TWTR around those dates:

June 4: 37.88
June 5: 39.80
June 6: 40.10
June 7: 39.70
June 8: 41.21
June 11: 41.42
June 12; 43.49
June 13: 44.07
June 14: 46.76

Then it dipped slowly over the next 3 weeks to 43.89 on July 3.

Anyone know if Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) was a constituent of any other S&P index (ie: MidCap S&P400) before being added to the S&P500 in Jun 2018? TIA.

Cheers!

The exuberance that has taken over this thread the last few days is a bit worrying. Predictions of $2000 to $3000 for the end of the month and even peaks of $10,000 are the kind of uberbullishness that can easily end in tears, like we've seen many times over the last ten years. Let's stay grounded. There's a lot that can go wrong, not necessarily for Tesla but in the world, so don't bet the farm on such predictions. The runup of 250 points over the last week is probably mainly the result of funds, private investors, speculators and shorties anticipating profitability and S&P 500-inclusion. A lot of good news has already been baked in.

Exuberance is worrying in traders (because market-timing is always worrisome), but not in HODLers, in my opinion. This stock is going to the moon eventually (unless civilization ends). The only unknown is exactly when.

I agree "a lot of good news has already been baked in," but how much is "a lot"? As smart as they are, Wall St was not expecting 90k deliveries last week. Even Dan Ives of Wedbush -- the second biggest bull after ARK -- does not fully understand all the good news that is coming, as someone here pointed out. Even ARK is not fully pricing in Tesla Energy and robotaxis, maybe because nobody except some here would believe them.

In short -- as might've been mentioned before -- traders need to worry their little heads, holders can relax. :)

Last edited:
The exuberance that has taken over this thread the last few days is a bit worrying. Predictions of $2000 to $3000 for the end of the month and even peaks of $10,000 are the kind of uberbullishness that can easily end in tears, like we've seen many times over the last ten years. Let's stay grounded. There's a lot that can go wrong, not necessarily for Tesla but in the world, so don't bet the farm on such predictions. The runup of 250 points over the last week is probably mainly the result of funds, private investors, speculators and shorties anticipating profitability and S&P 500-inclusion. A lot of good news has already been baked in.
I think you'll have to go a bit further to make your case that S&P500 inclusion is now baked in. Their is substantial evidence that from 2-5 business days public warning will come from the Committee announcing the imminent inclusion of TSLA. We are not there, and with TSLA also not being in the S&P1500 et.al those large Index Funds and ETFs are not able to build a TSLA separately then simply transfer the shares between the accounts.

@Fact Checking / Tesla Facts has tweeted detailed estimates for the volume of TSLA share purchases which will be triggered by an S&P announcement. This is a substantial portion of the float, and with continuous growth by Tesla, upward SP momentum and buying interest from these large funds will only CONTINUE in Q3/Q4 ie: for every doubling of TSLA's Mkt Cap, Funds will need to double the number of shares they hold. This is the virtuous cycle that many TSLA longs have been waiting for, IMHO.

Frankly, the only dark clouds I see on the horizon slowing a substantial runup is the MMs demonstrated willingness to participate in (dubiously-legal) naked short sellling, breaking the law of supply and demand for TSLA price discovery in the short term: SEC required 13-day period for "Failure to Deliver Reports (SEC Reg. SHO).

Otherwise, I see a crest of the wave for TSLA, followed by a permanent increase in sea level. A true tsnami is coming to wash away the shortzes position. TSLA has arrived. Best retreat from the beaches, unless you are a seller of medium height or above. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice gains these last few days, but no reason for dancing unless you sell. A large correction is coming across the entire market. The share price will go below 700 again. We’ll probably see 1500 before that happens, but in a few months, everything will come crashing down. There’s a lot of money being injected, but that won’t go on into eternity. Please be careful.