Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I had happily posted the positive a few days back, I figure I should post the other side of coin today. Well, as Elon says, if you cannot tolerate volatility, don't invest in TSLA.

Not making any changes to my account - waiting patiently till the 18th.

View attachment 616015

wait...just hit me...this is today's P/L? :eek:

Opinions on whether Tesla will be done selling today?

Looking at a volume of around 70 million on the day, unless there is a huge spike to the close. I think this could translate into 7 million shares being dumped, given how much the stock went down.

The stock movement testifies that Tesla was hammering.

Anyone with any clarity on when they might be done, or more specifically, how one is able to tell past a press release?

Reactions: NooB_cat and MXWing
Good info, thank you. Order placed for 15 shares @ $585.

Yeah, as I wrote MMs are likely worried right now about their ability to naked short TSLA with impunity, hence they're reluctant to trip the "uptick" rule.

Google had the 14:00 ET avg SP at $590.41 and NASDAQ/EDGAR had just a single minute right at 14:00 when the 1-min VWAP was below $590. In the event, over 740K shares traded in that minute, so there was a good chance a higher limit order would have executed.

TSLA.2020-12-09.14-00.png

My experience is if you really want an order to execute, you have to give a bit of slack on the SP (so your order gets moved up in the order book), or you can place a market order (sure to execute, but no SP guaranteed).

Good hunting!

Cheers!

Last edited:
That really doesn't have anything to do with what I was questioning. Everything you posted I agree with and Elon has made clear. I was simply calling out it was an odd choice to do it then instead of waiting 3 trading days. I don't expect Elon/Zach to care about SP movements. I do expect them to use logic to get the best price for the offering.

But if you listened to Elon’s interview, it really didn’t matter to him or Tesla if they did the offering or not. No logic required to get the best pricing for the offering because they didn’t really care about the offering.

Last time Tesla did the ATM offering they sold all the shares in 3 days I think. If the damage this week is from selling 8 million shares imagine the impact of buying 120 million shares next week. What would that do to the stock price?

Good point. Many of the Tesla share sales today are likely from the Tesla treasury to dispose of the $5-billion follow-on offering. A weak Nasdaq and JPMorgan commentary are not helping. Once all of the new Tesla shares have entered the market, the much greater and still necessary buying from S&P related funds could take over the narrative.

Last edited:
Since I had happily posted the positive a few days back, I figure I should post the other side of coin today. Well, as Elon says, if you cannot tolerate volatility, don't invest in TSLA.

Not making any changes to my account - waiting patiently till the 18th.

View attachment 616015

Yep. Easy come, easy go. I do have a 5 day money back quarantine on my company’s duffel bags. If for any reason within those 5 days, you can’t fill it with the green I will refund you the price of that duffel bag. You will have to eat the shipping costs, though. I’m not taking a kick in the teeth because someone didn’t hodl.

Yep. Talk about whiplash :p

Edit - this is what happens when half your account is in TSLA short term options. (I still have half in shares, so worst case is acceptable to me)

What works for some people doesn't work for others. But I did some rough math and I am pretty sure I'd be a much happier person if I never played the short term option game. Obviously others will have the opposite story though