Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sold 25% of my TSLA holdings.
My personal situation has changed. After 30 years of literally working myself to death in a very rewarding, however very stressful career, I have now retired from my day job to spend time with family and friends. My wife also just retired so we have gone from two full-time salaries down to nil, no pensions, no savings, only our house, our Model 3 and 99.6% of all other assets in TSLA. Now trimmed to 75% TSLA. We will let this investment ride out for many more years.
Thanks to Elon, all Tesla employees, and all TMC Investment Thread posters for helping making this possible.
Wishing everyone a fantastic, healthy and safe 2021.
Can I Assume your house is $400k and that is 0.4% of the assets... so total assets is $100M?

Me too...2020 model X. I think it relates to us not having the external speakers. My wife’s model 3P was built just a few months earlier and she has the backup hum...and also got the boombox update.

Yes - S / X only got speakers for the regulatory required low-speed sound generation in late 2020. You might be "late" by a few weeks only.

ARK ETFs are traded on the NYSE. For Europeans, trading ARK ETFs is difficult to impossible.

Relevant links:

Does ARK provide a KIID for investors from European Countries? - ark-funds.com

https://almvest.com/blog/how-to-buy-ark-invest-etf/

I'll mention this again: I've researched the possibilities for EU retail investors to buy US ETFs without a KIID,like ARK.
Best option is an option! It's easy and very possible to buy an ARK ETF call, after which you EXERCISE it. You will get the 100 shares in your account, no sweat and no fuss. I've done this and it works with Keytrade bank. It's nothing fishy and entirely legal. Of course do your own due diligence and verify with your EU bank/broker, not advice.
And of course be sure that you know what you are doing and the dangers of trading options before you do this!

CFDs. :eek:

"(Disclaimer: 76.4% of retail CFD accounts lose money at Plus500.com)"

Yikes!
I bought CFDs against Tesla and they have worked well.

They have been a handy derivative for me compared to options. I think of options as time limited (meaning they end on the expiry date) while CFDs are spread limited (they close out if the stock reaches a certain stop price). I could keep a leveraged exposure to Tesla over the last 5 years without having to take a punt on when the stock price was going to take off, rather I just had to ensure the deposit I had was sufficient to cover the lowest price Tesla shares dropped to.

I could have earned higher returns with options if I had more clarity on when Tesla was going to break out of the $180-$380 range it had been in for 5 years but I wasn't prepared to take that risk and end up losing my capital.

It took a while to get used to them and there is a learning curve around setting stop prices.

I bought CFDs against Tesla and they have worked well.

They have been a handy derivative for me compared to options. I think of options as time limited (meaning they end on the expiry date) while CFDs are spread limited (they close out if the stock reaches a certain stop price). I could keep a leveraged exposure to Tesla over the last 5 years without having to take a punt on when the stock price was going to take off, rather I just had to ensure the deposit I had was sufficient to cover the lowest price Tesla shares dropped to.

I could have earned higher returns with options if I had more clarity on when Tesla was going to break out of the $180-$380 range it had been in for 5 years but I wasn't prepared to take that risk and end up losing my capital.

It took a while to get used to them and there is a learning curve around setting stop prices.

Thanks for the information related to TSLA! Seems like a steep learning curve is the key (as with options). Do you have a good link for some education?

I have an allergic reaction to CFDs mainly because here in Germany they are promoted in the same vein/tone like snake oil, gold, cryptos, magnetic blankets, etc. and then when you look deeper you always get these "xx% of people lose money" warnings.

How is there $5 of premium on 1/15 $500 calls right now? I guess that's only a few weeks, but $5?????

Guess now we know at least part of the answer.

Background: Last Wednesday when TSLA was around $645 , the Jan 15, $500 strike calls were $150, which was only $5 above the intrinsic. So why was the premium so low?

At least some could be due to investors with large 2020 and prior year gains that want to sell off part of their holdings (say, to retire?) but to delay tax for one year through selling ITM calls with expectation they will be exercised In January, and at the same time get $5 more than the market price of the shares.

Others who don’t do options could sell just the shares on this Wednesday for settlement on Monday Jan 4, and miss out on getting the $5, but avoids the “risk” that TSLA could be below $500 on Jan 15.