Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elektrek confirms the presence of the smart card entry system: Tesla new Model S/X refresh: 12 new features yet to be announced - Electrek

Still unknown:
- native CCS? I have the impression that the charge port looks a bit bigger, but not big enough for CCS. I wouldn’t find it very nice in a 2021 EV to have to use a CCS adapter.
- the trunk looks completely flat (see image of bike in the trunk), which may be problematic for my DreamCase.

Hopefully this becomes clear after to rumoured S/X intro call.
It’s itching to press the ‘buy’ button.
This article from Electrek is also worth reading, explains how a stalk-less autopilot works:

Tesla's new steering wheel comes with Autopilot sensor-based drive modes, force touch buttons, and more - Electrek

From the article:

Electrek obtained internal Tesla documents that shows the automaker plans to use Autopilot and AI to know which drive mode to activate.

Tesla writes in the document:

“The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.”

That’s quite a change in the way to operate a car, but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive’ drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console.

We first reported on some of that technology based on a patent that Tesla filed last year.

So we are constrained by battery cell supply. I thought the plan all along was that we were going to be the battery cell supply?

If battery cell supply is the problem, why aren’t we addressing it more directly than asking suppliers to supply more? Last time I checked we had a cash pile of $20B and growing.
Did you somehow miss Battery Day/ Roadrunner/ Kato Rd 10GWh pilot plant that will be in/ near the top 10 cell plants globally?

And that Giga Texas and Giga Berlin both have cell manufacturing called out?

Edit from the future to limit post count:
And confirmation on call that they are on track for 100 GwH of production by 2022?
To be explicit, that is 100GWh produced and 200GWh production capacity (with S curve variance) in 2022.

Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations

Thank you. The next question is what is Tesla's current gigawatt-hour run rate of the 4680 cell production? How do you see this run rate evolving by mid-2021 or end of 2021?

Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer

I think we kind of talked about that true. I mean essentially, what we're saying is that the number to think about or focus on is like we've got a 100 gigawatt-hour total Tesla cells produced in 2022. It's not that important to look at the run up to that because -- but these things tend to improve exponentially. But we are installing capacity for -- in 2022 for 200 gigawatt hours a year and we think probably we should be able to achieve 30% of targeted design capacity in 2022.

Zach Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

Yes. Yes. Agreed, Elon. And as you've said before, with the S curve of production, you can be off a little bit on the initial part of the S curve, and that makes a difference in absolute capacity by quite a bit, one month to the next.

So yes, I mean we are progressing up that S curve as fast as we possibly can.

Last edited:
So we are constrained by battery cell supply. I thought the plan all along was that we were going to be the battery cell supply?

If battery cell supply is the problem, why aren’t we addressing it more directly than asking suppliers to supply more? Last time I checked we had a cash pile of $20B and growing.
Tesla is engineering a whole new cell type, with never-before-used proprietary materials and manufacturing methods. This doesn't happen overnight.

I trust Tesla is doing the absolute best they can to ramp cell production as quickly, efficiently and safely as possible. They are building a new world, and like Zack or Jerome or someone said, there are many "unknown unknowns" to deal with.

Some of that pile of cash will be spent on batteries once they get the production machine finalized. No sense in throwing money at it needlessly. They ARE building battery manufacturing at Austin and Berlin, after all.

Beyond that, they also will buy every battery the third party suppliers can provide.

There is still money left after those efforts, and maybe no place to spend it just yet. Unless they want to purchase some mining companies.

We've been talking about being either production- or demand constrained since 2013. Except for perhaps a few short glitches Tesla have been production constrained. That's a good problem to have.

And while all that talking was going on, Tesla have been quietly doing this

upload_2021-1-28_13-59-3.png

Something tells me they are sandbagging 2021 despite being somewhat bullish.

And well they should. Tesla is going to be bringing online two 100% new factories this year, which opens them up to dozens of unforeseen hiccups that CNBS and the FUD analysts would love to jump on. I'm glad that they are being cautious with their timelines and forecasts. I'm not selling any shares anytime soon anyway.

Regarding those concerned about the new steering wheel, it seems likely that putting a couple of fingers on the top bar and sliding them into the notch for either of the "horns" at the edges will allow easy full turning. Problem solved.

On another note, now that the Model S and X have actually become Kitt, expect most of production to be shipping to Germany, right?

It may be a bit of a Hassel(hoff) with the car not being manufactured in Berliin, but the fans should love it. :cool:

You will probably soon be able to buy an after-market top-half of the wheel :) (or full wheel direct from Tesla)

You will probably soon be able to buy an after-market top-half of the wheel :) (or full wheel direct from Tesla)

I was thinking the same. If the refreshed Model S controller makes it to production, the aftermarket will be all over it. I think Tesla is just testing the responses right now, though it would be nice to have an option for a regular Tesla steering wheel or the yoke wheel.

I was thinking the same. If the refreshed Model S controller makes it to production, the aftermarket will be all over it. I think Tesla is just testing the responses right now, though it would be nice to have an option for a regular Tesla steering wheel or the yoke wheel.

Or, just use the new wireless game controller to drive the car. :rolleyes: