Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't done anything on this yet. As far as I'm concerned, it's yet another tool in the investor's tool box. It will work for some, not for others, depending on the situation.

I used to be all about minimizing debt. I paid off my credit card purchases every month, paid cash for cars, etc. Every once in a while, I would pay additional to lower our mortgage principal. When you have a diversified portfolio earning market returns (say 7-10%), the idea of using cash to pay down debt or pay for large purchases makes sense, even if the cost of capital is lower than your returns. The idea of borrowing against my stock would not have even crossed my mind.

BUT, as @Artful Dodger and others have pointed out, if you expect (as I think most of us here do) TSLA to have much greater returns, using cheap debt to finance purchases/expenses may be the right call.

"What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the the end." Warren Buffett. Running a heavily concentrated leveraged portfolio in retirement is a mistake no matter how certain you are that the company will do well. Especially in a stock selling at 25X sales.

Nice little interview with Peter on CNBC. I give him credit for reinforcing that Tesla’s lead and their hopeful trump-card is one in the same: Game changing tech.

What a great interview - nothing but common-sense from Peter, no FUD, no disparaging other EV's. I know Elon isn't always so complimentary about Rawlinson, but I hope they do really well.

Note that he stated clearly they're not competing with Tesla, but against luxury ICE. Good man.

After 9 years, I’ve long since cared to or needed to in any way considered the other side of the argument. Nothing new has been said in all that time. I was right then, I’m right now.

Incoming Zen; at some point you become confident enough in yourself that you no longer need to keep checking opposing arguments thus essentially questioning your decisions.

I’m old enough to have learned that a few decades ago. Decision made in 2012. Not a single doubt since and no need to go looking for it.

A need to constantly be checking if a decision you made was correct is a show of a lack of self-confidence and can negatively affect current and future decision making.

Maybe for you this is different. For me, having a punch list is not evidence of self-doubt. It is a mechanism to measure performance. This is how I use any such data with some basis in reality, to measure performance of Tesla in some way. If they ever show signs of not responding to actual issues I want to be able to detect that and adjust my view accordingly. Taking a blind faith attitude would, to me, seem imprudent in any dynamic system.

After spending decades practicing the art of isolation troubleshooting (which can be quite Zen in itself) I'm unlikely to stop those thought processes running their code. My self-confidence is based upon my ability to remain open to all possibilities and hone my awareness appropriately.

Never been one for blind faith myself.

Well, other than the band. I did kinda like their music. :)

What a great interview - nothing but common-sense from Peter, no FUD, no disparaging other EV's. I know Elon isn't always so complimentary about Rawlinson, but I hope they do really well.

Note that he stated clearly they're not competing with Tesla, but against luxury ICE. Good man.
More like 'smart' man....he knows its a losing proposition going up against Tesla....plus Elon is out to squash him :)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Still at service, amazed at the place. I recall the first sales and service location in this town, so slow to start.

exponential growth is what this has been

so many missed it

dude seemed to drop off a car for service
Waited for Uber
Ordered a new s before his ride got here
Ty random dude and tsla employees
This reminds me... New York State still has an antiquated dealership protectionist law that limits Tesla to 5 stores in the entire state. If you live next to the Buffalo factory, you have to drive 5+ hours or leave the state/country to find a Tesla store. There is still so much room for growth in the US as these laws are slowly changed. It seems like Tesla has stopped spending resources fighting these laws because they can't keep up with demand as is.

Bullish AF.

"What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the the end." Warren Buffett. Running a heavily concentrated leveraged portfolio in retirement is a mistake no matter how certain you are that the company will do well. Especially in a stock selling at 25X sales.
But then there is Chamath. I could sell, but then I have a problem. Where to invest the money? Would like me some ARK, but no dice here. The best I know is Tesla.

Guess I am quite basic. TSLA is my savings account of which I occasionally make withdraws or borrow from for exactly that.

Me too. I read peoples descriptions of how they play options against their TSLA shares and while it might be creative and effective it's just too much like gambling for me. I like more structure and reliability in my finances.

I hold lots of shares for the long term and I plan to sell them very gradually to generate an income over the next few decades or take out loans against them. In my IRA account I'll eventually migrate a good chunk of my TSLA into stable dividend stocks and low expense ETFs, in like ten years or so.

There is a point where enough wealth is enough for me. I am debt free and my expenses are very low, 30-40 shares sold per year (plus my other incomes) would cover all of my bills while still giving me plenty of "fun" money. I don't need multiple houses, I don't need an island, I don't need a car for every day of the week. I'm a simple and modest multi-millionaire!!! :cool:

This reminds me... New York State still has an antiquated dealership protectionist law that limits Tesla to 5 stores in the entire state. If you live next to the Buffalo factory, you have to drive 5+ hours or leave the state/country to find a Tesla store. There is still so much room for growth in the US as these laws are slowly changed. It seems like Tesla has stopped spending resources fighting these laws because they can't keep up with demand as is.

Bullish AF.

I agree...I think this is part of the reason I don't see many Teslas around CNY where I live. Nearest Tesla Store, 4+ hours, nearest SC, 1.5hrs. While they are limited to 5 stores I don't believe they are limited with SCs. I think if a SC opened in CNY that would generate a lot more sales in this area. I know a bunch of people that are hesitant to buy a Tesla for this very reason.